Sunday 2 November 2008

Rant 214 / Another Short Post - Changing My Blogging Habits.

Wonders of wonders! I have found my solution! They sell another type of baking chocolate at NTUC - Special Dark! So instead of buying Unsweetened, I'm buying this. It is "bitter sweet", which is basically slightly sweet but still bitter. It is edible, unlike Unsweetened.

It was probably sold out for the last few weeks, which explains the empty spaces around the stack of unsweetened chocolate.

Since I've got this, I'm using the last ounce of unsweetened chocolate to make chocolate frosting.. for my bread. It's easier and the goal of sweetening unsweetened chocolate has become obsolete.

Anyway, if I'm going to turn the mix back to solid chocolate, I'm going to have to learn how to temper the chocolate. A tedious process, I have little interest in that so far.

Next on list: find out how much chocolate to add to caramel to be able to taste both chocolate and caramel. In the last few attempts, the caramel flavour was minimal.

Playing with caramel is fun because it smells so good. And now that I have a metal spoon, I can make all the caramel I want (plus I have few uses for this bag of sugar I bought anyway). But it IS dangerous because molten dry caramel is freaking hot. Adding water will make it sputter because its similar to pouring water on a very hot piece of metal. It explodes in a mild way.

Still, it's fun. Smells good and you get a very tasty treat. When I feel like it I'm going to make some caramel, roll it around the spoon and cool it to make a lolipop-like caramel candy. Screw the caramel they sell out there, this is the original home made stuff, man. Plus I have a little bottle of vanilla here. Might come into use. Vanilla caramel?

No comments:

Post a Comment