Friday 7 November 2008

Rant 219 / Red Hot Burning Acer

I just woke up (7am now) from an extremely weird dream. Been so long since I woke up from a dream I can remember.

It was evening, about 6pm, and I was near my home. I went because I needed a haircut (which is true in reality because I may not have the motivation and time to go for a haircut from now on until the end of exams). When I was done, I thought I'd have dinner at the market before going back to hall.

First stalls I saw were some pasar malam fruit stalls starting to set up their stuff. Several young men were there, apparently learning how to operate the machines because they were going to work part time that night for the stalls. I saw one guy from TMC, went to say hi and asked him why he was paying so much attention to some old dude explaining how to operate his juice machine. That's how I knew they were going to work part time that night.

There were some stalls selling Asian artworks like masks (like those they use in traditional Japanese drama that frown instead of smile), calligraphy, chopsticks and even pencils (not artwork here but probably the tools).

First thing I saw and wanted was the beancurd dessert. I ordered one, but the stall owners were confused. I finally understood the problem when I asked for the time they usually open. 12am. Fucking supper stall. Arrived at 6pm to prepare...

So I walked and saw one of the guys I knew in the army selling chicken rice. Or rather, eating a piece of chicken because there's no one buying at that moment. I walked towards him but he seemed be looking at some other random direction. In fact, though I slapped the glass of the counter hard, he did not meet my stare. Why bother disturbing some guy who's deliberately avoiding me? So I continued.

As I wandered I met Ivan and XL. Weird that I'd dream about them, but not weird that even in my dreams they come together. They had just finished dinner and were going to dump their trays somewhere. I greeted him and went on trying to find dinner. Then I saw why they were there - the whole gang was having dinner together there and the rest were finishing their dinners too.

So I walked to the table, greeted them, put down my bag wondering what sort of coincidence it was turning out to be. Then I turned around and saw a relatively new Japanese food stall. They had a large glowing plastic board displaying their food and right there in the center, the largest picture caught my eyes.

It was beef fried in tempura batter and served with Japanese rice.

It was something I've never seen before and sounded like something I really needed to try. (I invent food in my dreams??)

It was called "Tenchi Apocalipse". I can still remember the name exactly how the "y" was replaced by an "i" and it sounded like a game. In fact, I remember all the rest of the dishes were named after video games, but not the names exactly. (Googling the name gave me results linking this name to the anime, Tenchi Muyo.)

But it was then that HX saw how I was staring at it and wondering wtf I was looking at and mentioned how it was too late for me to buy. Then ZY explained that to properly enjoy this dish I'd need to order all the other dishes on that board. Something about having to dip it into the sauces in all the other dishes to make it taste good. Sound like a damn complicated marketing gimmick to me. And no one was still hungry enough to eat with me, which means I could not order it and fully appreciate it at that time.

Right there and then, I realized I didn't know what I should have for dinner at all! So many types of food available but I didn't know what to choose anymore! I've never felt this since a very long time ago. Panic set in and I woke up.

I don't know if I should call this a nightmare. Not frightening, but I woke up from panic. Damned exams are giving me bad sleep.







Worst thing ever to hear from the lips of your girlfriend: "Even my father lasts longer than you in bed!"







So I've been burning my chocolate since my first attempt. Didn't really believe it was burnt even though it tasted mildly that way. Thought it was normal for that brand of unsweetened chocolate until today when I melted the chocolate by placing it on the heater for only a minute or so. I was impatient and it did not taste burnt at all.

How was I to know that I had burnt it? It didn't bubble, it didn't harden and only the flavour was slightly changed. It sounds incredibly stupid though.

No comments:

Post a Comment