Wednesday 19 November 2008

Rant 229 / Coffee And Mugging Goes Hand In Hand

Why are people buying Yen now? At the moment, 1 USD = 96.54 Yen. The day before, it managed to reach 97.08 Yen per dollar. According to my brief records, 96.54 Yen per dollar means the Yen is pretty strong.

Meanwhile, Dow Jones continues to fall. Oil too. Bleh.

And why do people sell their SGD now??? SGD is quite weak now against the dollar at 1USD = 1.53SGD. In the game anyway. Maybe they doing what I did - cut their losses. I'm actually slightly happy that I sold all my Dow Jones. It has dropped by $9 since I bought it, or $4 since I sold everything.

Everything is dropping but the British Pound. Still remaining at 0.67 Pounds per USD. Damn they're good. Now refers to 1pm GMT+8, 19th Nov 2008.








Sometimes things get me to think why some people I've met can get so confused about their lives and sound so helpless about it. It's weird because so few of us are really helpless about anything. Maybe it's the consequence of escaping from a truth for so long that they whine about it when it has come to the point of no redemption. Then they start wishing that things were different. Or worse... they ask the worst possible question,"Why?"

It's people like this that makes me happy there are religions out there that collects such people and deludes them into being happy people again. For those atheists who are confused and feel helpless, convert to one of the major religions out there.





So I read up a little about recycling and found out that most of the food packaging I've thrown away is actually useless. In fact, plastic recycling is not actually in high demand because plastics are still much cheaper than paper.

In addition, because there are so many types of plastics out there, only those with the triangle, 3-arrow symbol can be used by the recycling plants. This is because these symbols tell the type of plastic the object is made of. Usually I see them only on plastic bottles.

This means just about 95% of all my plastic trash is non-recyclable (if there is such a word). Metal cans are still possible, I think. Papers with no food scraps are okay too.

Papers are actually having the highest demand in the recycling industry. No wonder there are only 2 bins for recycling here and one is for paper only.








Oh fuck! I've just tasted the most disgusting sardines ever. I'm not even sure if it was supposed to be edible in the first place. The brand is Moon Star. First, it looked different. The sauce was translucent like the chilli sauce from fast food restaurant. Second, the sardines were tiny and the whole thing smelled fishy. I thought it'd taste like sardines soaked in those fast food chilli sauce, except not actually being spicy because the label says "in tomato sauce".

I bit into a sardine and I tasted nothing. It was completely tasteless. And the fish was very soft, like it was ready to disintegrate into tiny bits. It didn't stay in my mouth long enough for me to find subtle flavours and I thought that was completely unnecessary.

Never buy sardines from the Moon Star brand. It's the cheapest in the market, at $0.60 for a tiny can. Usually I'd buy these tiny cans from Ayam brand, but this new brand just arrived and I wanted to try it. Never ever try it, unless you're short on dog food and your dog doesn't have working taste buds or it's dead.

In short, it looked brightly coloured, smelled fishy, felt like a gooey and mushy paste, tasted like nothing and I'm trying to make it sound like shit.









I was wondering if I should ever try backpacking to Malaysia. Since I have interest in travelling only to try new cuisines, I can just stay for a few days in each state and leave. Some hotels are quite affordable, like in Penang, there are some really decent hotels that go for about 11USD a night if I book online. So if I go for hostels, it can be really cheap.

Only problem is that my physical stamina is really bad. Bleh.








http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7735696.stm

So now they're able to grow a new windpipe for people who accidentally crushed their windpipes. And they can grow it using the patients' own cells to reduce the chance of rejection. Soon they'll be able do this for everything, from a crushed penis to a crushed ego.









Wow! Now at 6.30pm, Dow Jones has dropped even further. At $152, it's about $15 below what I had bought it for the last time. Holy cow! And amazingly, the Euro and Sterling has held on, unmoving like giant monoliths while all the rest are falling, even SGD which stopped falling only since today, holding at S$1.53 per USD for now. The Yen has been going up and down like a kid on a trampoline (but mostly down) while the Turkish Lira falls like a stone off a cliff edge, stopping occasionally only when it hits a protruding stone on the cliff wall.

Oil and Corn securities haven't moved yet, so it means the market isn't open yet. Gotta wait till tonight.








More Sins.

This is the furthest I can zoom out. Each dot is a planet. Yellow dots are mine. Pink and Orange are my allies. As you can see, Teal is my strongest rival. But I'm not sure if I should go on anymore - this game is already won.

This is zoomed in to the star system level. System shown here is the uppermost system in the previous screenshot. I've just gotten a foothold here with 1 planet. My first step in invading a completely hostile system, where every single planet is controlled by enemies. On a more positive note, I'm number one in all 3 categories, as shown in the lower left side of the screen.

This is a volcanic planet, zoomed out a little to show the fleet guarding it. That little yellow patch is really a huge fleet stacked in a vertically.

My fleet. Stacked vertically.

My fleet. Now zoomed in a little more.

An example of a TEC capital ship. This is the "planet bombardment" type, specializing in attacking planets and less able in destroying ships.

My fleet in transit. The largest is a capital ship that specialize in killing other ships.


This game is nice. When you're not doing anything, you can zoom in from any angle to look around. Graphics-wise, the ships aren't bad. The game designers sacrificed a few things the game doesn't need, like moving guns, in order to save on performance. So now the guns can fire sideways when they're aimed forward while the ship is turning towards the enemy. However, most players won't see that because this game requires little micromanagement during battles (units move too slowly). The game places more focus on macroing. Also, TEC ships generally have that "bulky and clumsy" look.

No comments:

Post a Comment