Friday 14 November 2008

Rant 225 / 2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back

Tried the one game I have not tested in my hard disk, The Experiment. It's more of a puzzle game, in which you help this person to move around and advance the story, instead of controlling the person directly.

Adds a whole new level of difficulty because of the indirect control.

Basically I can control the security cameras and the lights that aren't faulty. From the beginning, I can only rotate the cameras and the basic agreement with the person is that I can ask her to move to a certain location when I turn on the light at that spot.

Fortunately, this is happening in a high security ship, so all compartments are full of lights and cameras. Unfortunately, not all of them work. Some areas have no lights for me to turn on while some cameras are too blurry to be useful.

The story so far is that this person has been sleeping since the 1960s (that's what I assume since all the records I've found were dated then) and the game begins with her waking up and you staring at her from a security camera( don't know when it is "now"). No clue who you're supposed to be except that you know even less than her about the place. In fact, she had to give you her password and name to access certain files and activate certain doors.

She is in a ship that's anchored/crashed(?) on an island and this ship was a secret military research operation studying a new species of animals found in this place. These creatures produce a chemical that is toxic in its raw form but becomes a miracle cure when filtered. This filtered form can stop the aging process and induce the development of the "6th sense" in humans. They were testing humans on the animals, finding those who appeared to be more tolerant to the chemical and sending them to the island. Or at least that's what I have so far.

She was one of the researchers, everyone on the ship may be dead. I've already found 3 corpses, 2 of the reseachers and the chef. I like the part where the corpses are old so there isn't much gore. No bloodstains from hands being dragged across walls and stuff either. Anyway we know who she is but not who the player is supposed to be. In fact, I don't even know where I'm supposed to be to have control of the cameras.

Where I am now, it feels like a point-and-click adventure game, like Curse of the Monkey Island. I believe at some point there will be hostile creatures. I have already found evidence of such in the form of old corpses, monster bodies and at the beginning, while I was exploring that first level by turning on the cameras to look around, a person appeared in front of one of the cameras just when I turned it on. The light of the camera (I think) shocked him and he ran off. Played for 2 hours now and haven't seen any trace of him since.

Since this is a puzzle game, I won't be fighting monsters like Resident Evil, but there probably will be times in the future when I have limited time to get her out of a situation. Until then, I'm playing the game slowly and exploring every level before moving her around.

My comp can handle the graphics, but it can only barely handle 3 cameras, especially if there are a lot of different objects or movement in front of the cameras. 3 active cameras is the limit in this game, and if they allow anymore, I'd probably make my comp crash a lot by turning on more.

Usually I turn on only 2, because the third camera I activate will appear in a smaller screen then the other 2, no matter what camera it is. Turning off a previously activated camera will allow me to use a larger screen of the next camera.

Interesting, but no humour and quite dark. Only my curiosity and the story keeps me going. What happened to everyone?





Finally dragged myself back up to over $5M today. $5.12M now and waiting. I think the system is screwed up. I just sold all my Yens and my cash did not increase. Portfolio shows 0 Yen but my cash....

Oh well, my assets are still worth $5.14M. My cash is -$22k. LOL! No idea why. I bought like 3M Pounds and my cash went into the negative. I think that is the reason the system is screwed up. I hope the problem will magically disappear by tomorrow. All my money is in Pounds now, and if I sell them all the next time it rises and my money remains -$22k, I'll quit the game. I mean, wtf will I do? I would have no assets and it'd be worth $5M. I have negative cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment