Monday 3 September 2012

Rant 1053 / Simply Surviving Is Insufficient



$50k, 10 days to go.




















Wore the multi-scarf at work on Sunday and it worked! I was worried that it might not have the capacity and my sweat would continue to roll down my head after some time, but no, that didn't happen.

The only down side was that my hair was badly messed up after cooking inside for hours, so I had to wear it out of my office before I was ready for that. Turned out to be ok so it wasn't a big deal.





















Bought the SAFRA Living Care policy at the SAFRA roadshow at Toa Payoh. The salesman further explained to me when I accidentally asked for the SAFRA Essential Term policy that the Living Care policy was like an upgraded version of Essential Term that contains medical insurance.

Essential Term was a term life policy while Living Care was that plus medical insurance.

The premiums are affordable, and I paid over $460 for an entire year for an assurance sum of S$200k. Didn't even have to think about whether to add Essential Term to it now.

What I didn't expect was the answer I got when I pretended I was curious about what "major cancers" meant. While the person on the NTUC Income hotline told me that the term simply referred to "malignant tumours", the salesman said it had to be Stage 3 and beyond.

The latter definition was a much stricter standard and it's pretty close to fatal. Stage 4 is when the cancer metasizes, ie spreads from its original spot. I'm currently emailing them about this since it's the weekend.

I still bought it anyway because I don't have medical insurance at all, and this is pretty cheap no matter how I see it, although I did choose the maximum limit for the policy.

Despite the fact that I'm paying more overall by buying early, I just feel that it's better to get the insurance while I'm still insurable for everything. Part of this came from how my mum was rejected by most insurance companies after she got breast cancer the first time. Together with her diabetes and hypertension, the only policy she could get was Eldershield, a disability insurance policy.





















Bought a giant claypot for about $12 and it's bigger than I thought.

Last night I used 3 cups of rice and it barely reached the line where the cap rests after everything was cooked and expanded.

Claypot chicken rice. Easy as fck.

Cleaning up the burnt parts is a bitch though.



















The Qoo10 seller agreed to a refund after I informed them that the bandannas are 44cm*49cm instead of 49*49 as stated in the online store. Together with a photo of them under a ruler, I'm glad the seller didn't try to bs me because it's just $12. Neither do I really want refund for the same reason. It's just a matter of principle; I could have easily accepted a replacement too and mail the ones I received back to them if necessary. That is, if they actually had any of the same design that are of the correct measurements.

TBH I have no idea why their manufacturer wants to scrimp on that. I mean, 245cm^2 of cloth really isn't a lot, and it's just cotton. Even if every cent counts, how many cents can the manufacturer save from this stupid little scam?

In terms of percentage, it's 5/49 * 100% = 10.2%

Unless they're scamming every single client they have, 10% isn't worth the risks IMO. Then again, I'm not a Chinese mainlander who can just run to another province and start a new factory.




















Looked up the VivoCare and Enhanced IncomeShield recommended by the NTUC Income salesman at the roadshow and they didn't feel very sufficient. Maybe my standards are unrealistic, but though they do cover early-stage cancer, they only cover specific cancers that do not include lung and liver cancer. The best they cover is prostate cancer and benign brain tumours.

Maybe that's the same for all insurance companies, or maybe not. Regardless, I'm not buying those, not with those premium rates. Looks like I'm going to have to consult another agent with whom I'm more familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment