Wednesday 12 September 2012

Rant 1061 / Train Stimulator

Found an iPad cover that was cheap enough, though I had considered the design insufficiently secure.


S$23.90 excluding S$4.50 postage. Pushed it down to total price of $25.90 but this is still about 150% more than my current cover. Though it comes with a stylus and a screen protector, those two don't really make up for the difference.

TBH I don't really know if this was a good idea with that strap because I don't like the look but at worst, I'll see if it can be removed.

...

Nice, it arrived by courier 2 days after I ordered! The inner felt layer definitely feels more luxurious than the PU leather one I had been using and the strap wasn't a bad idea since now I have something to clip the pen-like stylus on.

The stylus was more useful in a way than expected because I've already mentioned that I disliked the glossy feel on my fingertips. However, I'll have to get used to switching between it and my fingers when I want to use my fingers for the multitasking gestures.

As for the screen protector it came with, despite my wiping the iPad using the same cloth I clean my glasses with, lots of bubbles appeared when I applied it. Then I realized I didn't need the protector. The screen appeared perfectly clean and was extremely easy to wipe. The protector, on the other hand, wasn't as convenient.

Though I risk scratches to the screen, I think I can live with that. The iPad's screen is oleophobic (oil doesn't stick) just like the one on the iPhone thanks to some nanotech magic, so it's meant to be used without the protector in the first place.

Now I just need to figure out where to attach a strap or loop on the cover.

And apparently I never knew about the auto-wake function that iPads have because the cover I had been using didn't have that. This function is actually controlled by a specially placed magnet within the cover that triggers the sensor in the tablet, and the new cover has one.

Now I don't know what to do with the rest of the covers I have.






















I've been selected for the Insinc beta phase (they don't actually call it that) after I applied for it without expecting anything in return.

Insinc is the government's latest plan to reduce peak traffic congestion in our train system by rewarding commuters when they travel in off-peak hours.

There are at least two points I'd like to raise to explain my lack of enthusiasm despite my application:

1) I rarely take the train since I rarely go shopping. It's not like I go window-shopping everyday; the shops don't rotate their products that often. To go to my office and to see my buyers, I usually take cabs to make my transit times more predictable.

2) I have never travelled during peak hours since I left JC (aka pre-U). At most, it's been once or twice throughout the years but I don't recall these instances. In fact after almost two decades of that shit, I now avoid it like the plague.

This is why I never expected to be chosen. Since they're in their testing phase, why on earth would they choose someone like me?

There are only two possibilities:

1) I'm to represent that minority that doesn't take the MRT/LRT often.

2) They didn't get enough applications.

The second is the likelier of the two IMO. TBH I'm not sure why more people didn't apply since it's free and there's free money to be made for people with more flexible schedules.

For now, the current exchange rate is 1000 credits to $1.

To earn credits, I can spend the credits to play a minigame that may earn me a lot more. Otherwise, the safer and slower way is to simply watch when I take the train.

Between 6.30am to 7.30am and 8.30am to 9.30am, I earn 3 credits for every kilometre travelled on a train. On my boost day (I had a choice during registration between Wednesday and Thursday), I earn 5 credits per km during those trips.

Trips taken during any other times get me a single credit per kilometre.

The average credit earning rate, according to the website, is 500 credits a month.
























It was one of those rare days when I felt that there isn't enough time to finish what I need to do. If not for the peak hour cab fare surcharge, I'd have stayed longer.






























And this is why some people can't sleep at night.



























I've been reading a number of articles TOC and PublicHouse ever since I started using Newsloop for my daily local news intake together with other news sources.

Some articles I agree with, others I don't. All are written by people with some degree of intelligence so they all make sense. Even for those that do not sit well with me, I can see where they are coming from, like opinions that agree with SDP's proposed health insurance plan.

However, there is now this one article that does not fit into either category.

Though the author has to be intelligent, the article was ridiculous. I am frankly quite surprised that those words were even published.

I'm talking about the one on hate speech by Lina Chiam. After reading it, the whole thing felt like she was arguing against the PAP's stance on this issue just for the sake of it.

After all these decades as a politician, I'd have thought she was better than this.

Clearly this isn't the case.

Perhaps it's just like Sylvia Lim's argument in the Parliament about Dr Wu's case, a simple case of trying to be a populist politician, the sort the typical intelligentsia looks down upon.

If so, I'm sure she could have picked a more controversial topic to inflame instead of this.

Though there were definitely points she could have raised that were actually valid, she didn't.

The first point she discussed was how despite Singaporeans were reprimanded for their hate speech, nothing was done about the same nonsense coming out of the lips of foreigners residing in Singapore, like the Chinese student who described Singaporeans as "dogs".

I was like,"What?"

That kid was spanked HARD. Not only did he get his face all over the news, he lost his scholarship, had to do community service and pay a fine. What more do you want? Jail-time?

Her next point was even better: PAP shouldn't rag on all Singaporeans who talk online because not everyone is guilty of hate speech - some are even speaking the truth.


Pardon the cliched meme but...



And then we all realise why the SPP lost everything in the last election.

At least the SDP clearly did some homework before proposing that social insurance scheme, even though the entire plan was founded on principles that are fundamentally different from those of the ruling party.





























And thus nobody plays video games for plot anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment