Saturday 22 September 2012

Rant 1065 / Borderlands 2 Is Pretty Good

According to the timescale of the Creationists, dinosaurs went extinct in 1927 AD.

The first multi-celled creature found in fossils was from around 1188 AD.



This may or may not be accurate. Creationists believe that God created the world in 4004BC, so whoever made that chart merely simply shrank the most widely accepted (by the scientific community) version of the history of Earth into the 6000 years of the Creationists' timescale.

It would probably make more sense if the Creationists squeezed all the dinosaurs into the earlier parts of the history and was nowhere proptional to our version, but then again, I'm not familiar with their version at all.



























Went to Plaza Singapura today for multiple reasons, one of which was to take a look at the closing Carrefour ex-supermarket.

The selection, for a supermarket, was... no longer in existence. There were roughly 10 shelves and wagons of products plus 2-3 shelves of fresh products, and that's it.

All the good stuff have already been stripped but I managed to find a simple lantern for $2.

Normally I wouldn't buy such a thing but because of the price and because I don't have any lanterns for my candles, I took one.

Straight from the box

Ready
$2 for a glass-in-steel lantern. I'd say that's a steal.



Later I found that The Body Shop was having a sale at the atrium on the first floor, mostly for shower gels and body butters (moisturisers for everywhere but the face) and stuff like that, but there was also a section for fragrance oils.

$14.90 for two 10ml bottles!

So I picked a Sandalwood & Ginger, and Aloe & Soft Linen.




Also went to Allercare at Tanglin Shopping Centre to get some anti-mite products. My sinus treatment does not have a permanent effect. According to the doctor, if I continue to be exposed to allergens, the symptoms will return anywhere between several weeks to over a year.

That treatment cost me $500 and gave me quite a bit of inconvenience for a few days, so I'm reluctant to risk doing it all over again.

Hence the anti-mite laundry detergent, spray and pillow casing.

Chose Allercare because it was advertised in the booklet given to me after the allergy test by the hospital, instead of other cheaper alternatives.

$223 for all that, mainly for the detergent that cost over $100. A bed sheet would have been another $200+.

The detergent was 1-litre though, and I'm going to be using it every month or two, so it will last for at least a year.

The pillow casing and bed sheet both can last for years, so they're not that expensive from that perspective. Still, I'm kinda reluctant to blow over $450 at one go on this sort of thing.




The entire trip under the late morning and early afternoon sun managed to make me perspire so much by the time I was done and going to the nearest taxi stand to go to work, my bandanna was literally dripping, especially from the knot behind.

I did consider changing my bandanna on the spot but decided I was going to cool down in the cab soon anyway so it wasn't necessary.


...


I really wonder why some of the older shopping centres are still around at Orchard Road.

I accidentally went into one and found myself taking ancient narrow elevators that only fit a single person on each step. Any place using such elevators can't be new at all.

And it was mostly dead. Few shoppers were around, some units were vacant and the lighting was terribly dark.

Why aren't they demolished and redeveloped yet?

I am curious because those plots of land have to be really valuable. It just doesn't make much economical sense to me to waste them like this.

Tanglin Shopping Centre, my final destination before I went to back to the office, was only slightly better, although the number of Arab rug shops suggests it can't be too bad. I'll be back when I am willing to spend over a thousand bucks on a rug.

TBH I wouldn't mind getting a small one to be placed under my desk. Would be nice to get that carpeted feel under my feet whenever I'm at the computer.


























I don't really blame the Americans for making that film; they're just ignorant. Not all, but enough of them to make stupid nonsense like that.

But the French magazine, for making the cartoons that mock the violent reactions to that film?

Seriously? The French have free university education for citizens, so there's no excuse for ignorance!

Then the editor defends himself by comparing his situation with a woman wearing provocative clothing encountering rapists.

Are you fucking kidding me?

More like he's pouring kerosene on a house that's already on fire! Barrels of it!

No woman wears provocative clothing specifically to taunt and mock rapists!

So initially, none of the Europeans were getting any shit. Most of them were only worried as they watched the Americans burn.

Now the French are going feel the heat, and I'd be surprised if the French government doesn't do something to that magazine.

I mean, the potential property damage from the protests could have been completely avoided if they hadn't published the tasteless crap, not to mention the possible loss of human lives. In addition, shutting down all those schools and embassies in those 20 countries surely will cost them a lot of potential revenue.

I have the impression, after reading all the news, that not all the protesters are out for blood, but when mobs gather, accidents can happen and things can get out of hand. It just takes one crazy guy throwing a molotov cocktail to give courage to everyone else in a mob holding one but didn't dare to throw.

Sometimes, people have to recall how WWI happened. It wasn't because of any single events, but was the result of the accumulation of many issues. The assassination of the Austrian Archduke was only the final straw, an event that lead to a cascade of other events that became decent casus belli for some to throw the first punch in a fight everyone was prepared for.

Now, everyone is preparing for a fight again.























No I'm not even going to state which parts were typed on which days.






















Played some Borderlands 2. Not a bad game, and I've been starving for a long time. NS2 is only going to be playable next month so I have at least another week with no new games.

Tropico 4 is fun but, as anyone can see from the recordings currently on autopilot on my stream, it lacks excitement.

Used Salvador at first but noticed that by the time I finished off Flynt, I'm using the sniper rifles more often than any other gun, even though the recoil actually reduces the more I spray. Heck, I was sniping so much I was doing headshots without scoping unintentionally.

It didn't make sense for me to go on with Salvador once I confirmed that my preferred playstyle is to snipe everything, so I switched to Zero. It's just the first chapter of the game anyway.

As for the initial nausea, a few tweaks of the graphics options solved that.























Made aglio olio fusilli. I was supposed to use spaghetti but the closest thing was vermicelli which was too thin IMO. So instead I used fusilli. The other alternative was macaroni, which I believe is even more suited for recipes involving gravy than fusilli.

The garlic was slightly overcooked and got a little more than just golden brown but it turned out ok.























Never really got why ionisers are popular at all as a type of air purifier.

Ionisers produce ozone as a byproduct, the gas that is easily detectable by its smell. In fact I associate office photocopiers with the smell of ozone.

The problem with ozone is that it's a known respiratory irritant and long term exposure has been linked to bronchitis, asthma, and heart problems.

Another study I read long ago also found that ionisers can kill dust mites because of the ozone they produce (not because of the ions), albeit very ineffectively compared to UV radiation and heat.

Even at minute levels, I don't see why I should risk long term exposure when there are several other affordable alternatives that can provide the same benefits, like air purifiers using HEPA filters and carbon filters. Though these are more expensive, they don't cause any issue outside of the wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment