Thursday 6 September 2012

Rant 1057 / Sense, Like Justice, Is An Imaginary Concept






















If the justice system takes into account income inequalities, all fines would be proportional to their income.

Except the numbers on the income tax declaration form can be fudged.

So the fines should be proportional to the total assets of the criminal.

Except that, too, can be fudged.

Moreover, in Singapore, there are plenty of millionaires with little liquid assets but a valuable home from decades of real estate value appreciation on this entire island.

To be fair, all numbers can be fudged. Even governments do that to some degree.

For example, the UK counts unemployed people only among those who are above 16 years of age. In Singapore, it's 15.






















Got a few cans of tonic water at a budget store while looking for tealights. Their tealights, though made of paraffin wax, are irresistably cheap at S$5 for a hundred. I estimate their burn times to be around 3-5 hours but I never really timed them. Definitely in that range though.

Too bad the store is, as usual, unpredictable. The first time I found the tealights, I wasn't even looking for any. They were so cheap, so I decided to get one to try. At that time, I was only interested in playing with candles, so the lack of scent didn't matter.

Now, they warm up my oil diffuser for my aromatherapy oils I've been getting from Qoo10.

But it's also its unpredictability that made the cans of tonic water appear on the shelf today. There were only like a carton's worth of them next to another carton's worth of soda water, both Schweppes.

Now, gin and tonic.

And I think my bro and/or his gf tried out the gin because the bottle was almost empty when I took it out.

Gin and tonic is actually not too bad. The sweeter tonic covers the bitterness of gin, leaving the juniper flavour to turn the drink into a juniper-and-lime-flavoured soft drink.

If gin and tonic is popular enough, it would make sense to produce such a carbonated beverage.

...

Apparently that does exist.





















So the pharmacy, Guardian, had a one-day sale just for PAssion card members from 1pm to 10pm... and I received the email when I was resting comfortably at home after work at 6.31pm.

Fuck you, PA. Fuck. You.

























So I'm quitting school again. After seeing the counsellor, I realized this is going nowhere. No matter how much my mind is entrenched in the belief that I must get a degree asap, I have to admit what I'm doing isn't working.

I don't even need a degree; it's merely a symbolic gesture for my parents.

The lack of purpose is what I believe to be the main reason for this waste of money.

In the past, I never knew how much it sucked to have a terrible job. My father was a factory owner by the time I was born, though he became a simpler importer later. My mother took over when he passed way after being a housewife since my birth.

With only minimal contact with relatives, I had little idea what it's really like to be an employee.

I do now, but I'm already a business owner. Though the situation has changed, the lack of need for a degree in my mind remains.

Furthermore, my government subsidy is running out after all these years. Right now according to my university's website, I only have 95CUs' worth of subsidy and 3.5 years' worth of curriculum remaining. I'm not sure how long that would have lasted but I believe I'll be paying the full price just like foreign students by the final semester.

And for what?

What everyone must think but never said out loud was finally said by her; simply hearing it woke up that voice that was saying the same thing but was drowned out by other voices.

At most, I get asked why I'm not taking a business-related degree. Nobody goes as far as to advice me to do it.

It doesn't make sense for me to study what I did. Never did. Interest alone does not justify the costs of university education. I took it because I needed a degree to appease my mother, and translation sounded interesting.

Though I am willing to follow most of the advise she gave me, I'm not going to get a pet dog.

Things may have changed, I may have changed, but one thing stayed the same - I still dislike responsibilities. I know I run a business and all but, pardon the cliche, I never asked for this.

It was thrown on me and then I realized it was the path of least resistance. I don't actually love winter fashion; I just like all the other options available to me even less.

So now it makes more sense for me to stop this; I haven't even been going to school at all anyway.

Notified them online and mailed them my student card. This ends here.

I will apply for a more suitable course when the business is more stable and I find out which teaches something useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment