Monday 13 February 2012

Rant 940 / Lightning Freeze Fireballs

Now instead of merely rolling around to dodge I can teleport in Kingdoms of Amalur. It's weirder because I can't teleport through obstacles like large roots nor can I teleport down cliffs (I wouldn't mind teleporting into mid-air if necessary but that option wasn't available).

However, it's just so much cooler than the roll. I roll around so much that his grunt was starting to sound painful to me.

Rolling is a faster way to move around than the normal run. I found that out while accompanying a NPC early in the game when I decided to test both methods of movement. My running pace is slower than the NPC's but I can roll faster than he can run.

IMO the game is comparable to Skyrim if not for the stealth and the many restrictions of freedom of movement. The graphics and animation are much better but Skyrim is just more... free.














The NS IPPT admin system is terrible.

I went to get weighed on last Monday and I have yet to officially clear my IPPT.

Buggers.

I checked NS Portal on Wednesday night, instead of Tuesday like the clerk advised me to due to various work-related distractions, and found that I "have not completed my IPPT" for my current year.

Straight away I emailed them and the next day, the reply email told me to call the camp to clarify.

No number was provided though.

BECAUSE I CAN JUST FIND A MILITARY CAMP'S PHONE NUMBER FROM THE YELLOW PAGES, AM I RIGHT???!?!?!?!

So I called the NS Portal hotline about the IPPT issue hoping I'd get a different result, but in the end the only new information I got was that my lastest recorded BMI in the system was "zero".

As in the number.

Apparently, the SAF has declared me dead and this must be the afterlife.

Unable to get a proper solution to this problem, I asked her for the number so that I can call the camp's FCC to settle things.

I had to call after 4pm, though I have no idea why.

Nevertheless, I waited and called at 5pm.

The guy checked the records and found that my height and weight have been properly recorded in the system, so he asked me to call the NS Portal to clarify.

Very funny, SAF. Very funny.

Obviously I then told him I had called the hotline already and was informed that my BMI was zero. He theorised that they probably didn't receive the information when it was sent from his side, and told me he was going to send again. Tomorrow, I should call them again to make sure.

I think he meant I should check the NS Portal tomorrow and call them if things still remain as they are.

I definitely am going to do that. This is just a simple non-issue that SAF turned into an issue. I got to keep it a minor one.

I can also do nothing and then blame them for the confusion it's going to cause when my window ends, but there's no reason why I should make more trouble for myself. The logic is that since it's not my fault, why should I do all the work?

I'm just mentioning that because I noticed there are people who actually take this approach in life.

It annoys me a little because of the stupidity, but I remind myself that stupidity is the necessary foundation of a capitalistic society.

I bet those people also whine about how much shit they have to take in life.

It may not be your fault that many of those problems started, but it is undeniably your fault that they snowballed and accumulated into a huge avalanche.















Here I am eating my parma ham sandwich and reading on the Greek economic crisis on Wikipedia.

15% unemployment. That's even worse than the 10% in the US just a year or two ago.

Even at 10%, it's probably so bad that everybody knows someone who's unemployed.

15% is so bad, the people are probably happy just to have a job, even if it's a shitty part-time one at MacDonald's.

This graph was the one thing that really showed me how bad things are over there:



Interest rates offered for government bonds are usually proportional to the risks because it's basically a loan to the government.

At 130%, it means even the government itself is pretty confident that it's gone FUBAR, and it no longer gives a shit whether it can repay the money in two year's time. Heck, it probably doesn't even care anymore about whatever is going to happen in two years, as long as it can settle the issues at hand.

When a country defaults on its debts, there's really nothing others can do about it. They can't take everything the country owns and auction them.

According to the Wikipedia article, the creditor nations can seize its overseas assets and in the worst case scenario, invade it.

The latter has been done before many times, eg by Britain and the US.

However, the easier way out for the debter nation is to negotiate a delay or reduction of debt repayment. For the creditor, lesser repayment is probably preferable to nothing at all.

For Greece, it's probably a good idea to start doing that instead of more austerity plans and bailouts.

Just look at some of their latest cost-cutting measures:


  • 22% cut in minimum wage from the current €750 per month
  • 150,000 jobs cut from state sector by 2015, of which 15,000 shall be cut already in 2012
  • Pension cuts worth 300 million euros in 2012
  • Laws to make it easier to lay off workers
  • Health and defense spending cuts
  • Industry sectors are given the right to negotiate lower wages depending on economic development.
  • Opening up closed professions to allow for more competition particularly in the health, tourism and real estate sector
  • Privatizations worth €15bn by 2015, including Greek gas companies DEPA and DESFA. In the medium term the goal remains at €50bn.


Ouch!

Btw they were actually passed earlier today and had led to massive violent riots in Athens.

Personally I'm not sure if these were even intended to cut unemployment because they definitely don't look so.

It appears they just want to get the money now and whatever consequences this causes don't matter.

I guess the EU is about to get a new source of cheap labour.

No comments:

Post a Comment