Monday 6 February 2012

Rant 934 / Does It Make Sense That A Scarf Costs More To Make Than The Matching Sweater?

My point is

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others"-Otto von Bismark

Think about marijuana. Plenty of people who haven't tried it believe it's bad to legalize it. Those who have have proven it's not physically addictive.

If so, wouldn't it make sense to say that tobacco is a worse drug than marijuana?

Back to my point, someone has already tried it for me, so I can learn from their experience.

Of course, the same example can be use to argue against my point.

Well, someone has to try everything, but why does it have to be myself?















Made spaghetti. Wasn't anything special. Just boil pasta and cook pasta sauce with onions and tomatoes.

The only difference this time was that I went to the kitchen planning to make meatballs with half the 500g-bag of minced pork and use the rest in the sauce.

But when I added an egg into it, the mixture was too watery.

And the egg was much fresher than I thought. In fact the yolk's membrane was so tough I couldn't break it by pinching it.

The first thing I did was ask my bro if he bought fresh eggs to replace the dozen I'd bought like 3 weeks ago.

I'm not kidding. Those eggs are about 3 weeks old. They shouldn't be this fresh even though they were stored in the topmost egg compartment on the door of the fridge.

Apparently, I must be wrong because he didn't buy those.

Anyhow I added the rest of the meat before I remembered I could just add flour to thicken the mix.

Derp.

Also added about 1 teaspoon of oregano, half a teaspoon of salt, half teaspoon of rosemary and half teaspoon of black pepper.

Frying was easy.

I had recently discovered that this small pan that was rarely used was non-stick. Instead of the Tefal wokpan I used this for the meat.

And I made hamburgers instead of meatballs. I didn't think it was solid enough to remain round on the pan.

So I asked my bro if I should go on with spaghetti or if he prefers them with bread (no lettuce, only tomatoes), we settled on the pasta... without meat in the sauce.

The hamburgers were nice, but the salt was virtually undetectable. The herbs saved the day though, or else it would be just plain meat.

This led me to wonder what was added in the burger patties of fast food chains to make them taste so different.

The meat is smoother than the ones I made, with less meaty texture.

Does the bonemeal make such a huge difference together with the more finely ground meat?

Mine was only ground once.

I don't know.

What I did learn though, is that the patty in MCD's Big Breakfast contains rosemary or oregano. I don't know which because I suck at identifying flavours, especially when they're mixed together.














It made sense when I read that even the scrambled eggs from MCD contain preservatives.

Just think about what it takes to run a fast food chain.

It's actually pretty amazing how they can keep supplying food to all its outlets everyday regardless of any logistical reasons including holidays, mechanical failures (they have to have some) and full-blown wars (there are Burger King outlets in US military bases in Iraq).

In WWII, it had been shown that a city's restaurants and markets can run out of food within half a week when its supply routes are totally cut off.

Preservatives allow a fast food chain to keep an immense stockpile as a buffer against any event. Only once in recent history do I remember MCD running out of something, and that was its curry sauce dip.

It was such a significant event it made the news.

A reporter actually wrote a report on how MCD (Singapore) ran out of curry sauce.

That poor journalist.

But the fact is such a thing is huge. A huge failure on the part of the logistics department, I mean. The curry sauce is the most popular dip here other than the garlic chilli sauce, beating the Sweet N Sour sauce, Barbecue sauce and mayo. Probably ketchup too.

The first reason I can think of is that there was something wrong with their curry sauce and they had to recall them all. I mean, it's unthinkable that after so many years of experience, they could actually run out of their buffer stock.

Unless they don't actually have such a thing and they run on a seriously well-coordinated logistical network. Nah, impossible.

















My sanity is dangerously low now.

















These are the monsters from Amnesia: The Dark Descent if you didn't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment