Tuesday 7 February 2012

Rant 936 / Postage Will Be Paid By Addressee.

My second consecutive good day. How rare is that?

Today I learnt that all those old dusty goods buried deep in the storage area can actually be sold!

I knew about those long ago, but the fact that they haven't been sold for years gave me the impression that there must be problems with them.

Most likely, it's because none of the buyers want them.

So during a conversation with a buyer yesterday, one thing led to another, and I mentioned that I have a lot of old unsold stuff in my office, some of which have never been sold before.

Immediately I was told to bring those today and we could see which could be sold. Otherwise, I could proceed with my original plan of throwing them away as trash or donating them after the next Chinese New Year.

So I brought 10 designs, some with just 10 pieces and some with 60-70. Many do not have a complete size range, eg just 11 pieces of XL brown.

Today when I brought the 10 jackets and sweaters there, I half expected the effort to be only half-rewarded. All of them are so old, it didn't seem likely to me they could all be sold.

Surprisingly, they were all accepted. The buyer even remembered half of them, one of which was an edited version of a very well-received sweater design from my father.

They were THAT old!

My father died 12 years ago, so that design would have to be about a decade old.

I'm selling them at low prices because firstly, they're all outdated fashion. Secondly, I have no idea how much they cost my mum and she had not made a loss overall in her entire career in this business, so as far as I'm concerned they might as well cost nothing.

Moreover, the alternative of throwing/donating would have given me absolutely no money.

As long as the prices were able to cover the transport costs, I didn't really give a damn what the price for each piece.

Except the company's cut is based on the selling price, so it couldn't go too low. In this case, I just let the buyer handle the prices while I agree to every single suggested number without thought.

I'm probably being a terrible businessman for thinking this way though.

Still, everything my business gets from all these sales minus the transport costs is going to be pure profit. No cost price and international shipping costs to worry about.

Tomorrow I shall continue to dig for more old goods to sell while waiting for the factories to make my goods.

Busy day today. Again I didn't eat at all until 6.30pm just now. Didn't even feel hungry first due to anxiety and focus on finding old goods and noting down the amounts, then the excitement of finally having a lot of stuff to sell.

The buyer was happy too, but unhappy that these weren't brought there sooner. If these were sold last year, both our December revenues wouldn't have been as bad as they were.

I might have been able to give my employees more year-end bonus.

Oh well, no point crying over spilled milk. If things continue to go well this year, I'll be able to give them much more this time, maybe even get back to my mum's level.


















Went through Little India on my way to my office just now at around 4pm.

Very interesting trip for me, very frustrating trip for the cabbie.

Lots of topless Indian guys in the parade with all the sharp-looking metal things stuck in their bodies.

They also caused a traffic jam in the area.

Looked bloody painful, both those guys and my driver's job.













Saw this white model at the buyer's office, probably going to be featured on one of their posters or calendar or something.

DEM LEGS!

They were so damn long and skinny, which was why I knew she was a model.

Do not be mistaken - I'm in no way saying that she was hot.

She kept looking at me though. Most probably because of my disheveled appearance and the fact that I was lugging two huge bags of clothes.

Hard to look tidy when I spent a whole morning and half the early afternoon digging through dusty piles of stuff, then spent the rest of the afternoon walking with two huge bags of samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment