Monday 13 February 2012

Rant 939 / Condescension Condensation

FRI
























So Vic implied I'm a very hardworking boss.

I'm sorry if this blog is somewhat misleading but I don't discuss everything in my life or my mind.

I mean, who does, right?

However this is one misunderstanding I don't really like anyone to have even though it's flattering.

It just doesn't feel right to receive compliments I don't deserve.

So I'll just say it here: I'm not diligent and I've never been diligent since I was a child.

It might have been because I only mention the times when I go back during odd hours to work, but that's because these occasions were noteworthy.

The fact is, I've never gone to work on all five weekdays on any given week since I started working.

Even for this week, which has been quite a busy one for me, I'm only working for four days. Friday, which is today, is free because there's little left for me to do, so I'm just staying at home to do whatever.

That's why I installed Kingdoms of Amalur last night. I thought I was going to have an awesome gaming marathon but that kinda failed badly.

In addition, I do not work throughout the typical office hours that most people do. No 9-to-5 or 8-to-6 or whatever. This week, I went to work between 10am to 12pm and got off work mostly at around 2-3pm, although on Wednesday I left at 4.30pm.

This is because:

1) there is no need for me to stay in the office when there's nothing to be done that can only be completed by myself. I leave all boring repetitive tasks to the employees - what else am I hiring them for? If I weren't this lazy I would have let them go already.

2) Taxi peak hour surcharge begins at 6pm and sometimes it's hard to get a cab even at 5pm.

Unlike most success stories you hear involving entrepreneurs or small businesses, I'm not trying to make this bigger nor am I interested in going public. I don't care about making millions, just enough to make everyone satisfied.

Hence, I don't see the need to become the workaholic my father was.

I go to work at strange times like Friday night because some of the work like carrying large boxes of stuff around requires space. When they're working there, it gets too crowded because space is an expensive commodity.

My solution is to go when there's nobody around so that nothing happens and they don't try to help me even though we all know they can't. Things I can barely move, like the giant bag of paper labels the other day, it's impossible that they can and they know it.

So I just dragged it slowly to its intended destination, taking breaks every few meters when necessary. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do when he's the only man around.

Couldn't use a trolley because it's impossible to lift. Neither did I want to split the labels into multiple lighter boxes first because the original boxes inside had burst and I'd have to re-arrange the giant messy pile of 10,000 labels by the handfuls.

Simpler to just drag it there and let them tidy up the mess inside next time.







When I'm thinking about work at home it doesn't mean I can't do anything else. In any case, it's not like there's so much to dwell on in running a small business that one would be preoccupied for entire days.

As for the other aspects of my work, again, they don't require that much time.





Which is why to the contrary of what some who know me might believe, I do not make much and I don't see myself making a lot more than what my mum used to make in the foreseeable future.

In exchange for rather dead-end-like future career prospects, I get very, very flexible working hours. Meaning although I will never make what one would make in a senior management position in a large corporation, I get to work at hours like 11am to 3pm everyday if I go to work at all.

This fits my personal preference in life which I have stated a long time ago in a very old rant - just a quiet one that involves working less and playing less. I don't want to work hard and play hard; I'm just too lazy for that.



I do have doubts about whether this is going to work in the long term. I certainly find the thought of trading IRL very exciting but I somehow just can't get myself to like the physical work involved.

















SAT





The residents who are against eldercare services in their area for reasons like

They are worried that building an elder-care centre at their void decks may mean more deaths in the area.

are probably planning to die young.


















Iran is concerned about U.S. nuclear weaponry. 

...Americans have the fuel, the facilities, and "everything they need" to manufacture even more weapons-grade fissile material.

"...After all, the United States is a volatile nation that's proven it needs little provocation to attack anyone anywhere in the world whom it perceives to be a threat."

...possibility of the U.S. providing weapons and resources to a rogue third-party state such as Israel.

I must say they have very valid points there. Everyone should be alarmed.















So the guy who came up with all the evidence that red wine is good for the heart has been charged with fraud and current investigations are finding new evidence that contradict his results.

My question is: what about all those people who swear that red wine is the key to their longevity?
















Went back to LoL bot games. Tired of all the tension in normal PVP games, so I thought I'd just relax and play against Intermediate bots.

Turns out people are actually friendlier in bot games, albeit quieter, and it wasn't just because my Mordekaiser was good back then.

The reason I said this is because I began getting friend invites on the second day I started playing against bots, even though I'd been trying out unfamiliar heroes like Galio, Soraka and the new (and badly nerfed) Morde.

I'm seriously not even good in any of these especially since there are now plenty of level 30s who just want to play a relatively relaxed game like I do.

Moreover, nobody complains about noobness in those games, even when someone is actually being terrible at the game and causes the team to lose.



















SUN



Okay, gave Kingdoms of Amalur another shot.

This time, I reused my character as a mage because my bro told me I could respec very early into the game.

Found out it was true, reset my points for about 1.3k and spent all the points into Sorcery.

However, my dark elf race inherently specialized in Stealth and I didn't want to make a new char by then, so this is a mage with 2 points in Stealth that I won't be using.

This game is far better when I'm not raging at its stealth-related inadequacies.

As a chakram-wielding mage, this game is so easy at Normal difficulty.

I have yet to die in the game because the AI loves to stand around. Rarely do any groups of enemies attack me simultaneously, hence I get plenty of opportunities to dodge and kill them separately.

With the chakrams, it gets even easier to hit groups of them although the damage is lower.

Fortunately they get momentarily stunned when I hit them, so mouse-spamming is the key to victory in this game. I don't really need spells as a mage when I can just run around and spam chakram attacks, but they add a bit of variety to the gameplay.

To compensate for the monotony further, the game uses great graphics and epic fighting animations to keep it exciting.

In my case, I love the way the chakrams are used.

And the animation for killing an enemy in Reckoning mode totally reminds me of those in Dragon Age: Origins, particularly the one in which I kill a troll with a melee weapon.

No comments:

Post a Comment