Monday 2 January 2012

Rant 916 / I Wonder If That Works

The Cold Storage at Holland V actually ran out of gruyere cheese!

It's probably because lots of people wanted cheese fondue for their New Year's Day celebrations.

Standard fondue recipes usually call for gruyere and emmental (aka emmentaler), and I was able to find at least 3 brands of the latter.

So I tested my cheese fondue with just emmental and water (no wine at home, only beer and cognac that are not for human consumption) as a simple experiment in which I tested the viability of using aluminium foil, a small steaming rack and a candle for cheese fondue.

The result showed that firstly, aluminium foil alone is not suitable for fondue because it conducts heat so quickly the spot right above the flame will char the cheese.

Second, the cheese does not melt quickly enough with just one of those small candles, even though it chars, before I added water.

Therefore water works, although alcohol works better by lowering the melting point.

I now have a small ceramic ramekin I'll test tomorrow. Theoretically it should work.

The ceramic surface will spread the heat out better, so it won't burn as easily.

I need more of these round, flat candles though.

As for the gruyere, I'll just find some either after 1-2 weeks or at another supermarket.

















Arrogance. That's what I observed in myself. Arrogance without a good reason.

I can't help it.

Despite my current income level, I have yet to prove that I can maintain it.

It appears that I can, but I don't know if I will.

I should not feel arrogant just because I made what I made last month.

Yet I was pissed when someone said something to the effect that my friends and I don't make a lot of money.

That was proof enough that it was arrogance growing in me.

Arrogance without a justifiable cause.

How ironic that a person with confidence issues can also be arrogant.

Yet I cannot say anything to deny belittling remarks regarding my income.

It is absolutely important that nobody I work with knows how much I make so that I have more room to lie when haggling prices.

Singapore is a tiny country after all.

Only my mother, brother, accountant and the IRAS can know my income. Not even my wife is allowed this information, if I ever have one, unless she works with me.

Frankly speaking, it is quite difficult for me to keep all the secrets that I do, yet I do not have a choice.

Plenty of other jobs out there require tight lips, so I'm aware that I must get used to it.

The good thing is that I'm quite a miser, so I don't mind not spending on any luxuries, which makes me look like I'm poor.

The only issue I need to keep in mind constantly is alcohol - it loosens tongues.

I know I shouldn't even be revealing the fact that I have secrets, but I feel like I'd burst if I didn't say anything.








Is it because it is overcompensating for my inferiority complex?

No comments:

Post a Comment