Sunday 15 January 2012

Rant 924 / Roasted Kampong Chicken

FRI

Gabe doesn't support SOPA.

"In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the U.S. release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty."

A real bro.

The other reason which I'd also agree on is that games tend to be interesting in the beginning and get boring after the novelty is gone. Piracy helps gamers overcome the hype generated before the release of games to some degree.

I'd compare this to reading a book in a library before buying a copy. If it sucks, I'm not going to pay for it. Same goes for games.

Demos don't help because they're frequently unable to give the gamer an accurate idea of how it would be like to play the entire game. This is because they're usually the first chapter of the game, and the beginning of games are usually relatively bug-free compared to the rest of it.

The way I see it, it's usually gamers with little disposable income who pirate all their games. Not sure how much more revenue they're expecting to gain if they prevent this group from pirating.

As for SOPA itself, I don't know enough about it to make any real comment.












I finally got it.

I shall buy my meat in large amounts from now on.

For example, today I bought 2 kg of minced pork, "半肥瘦", or half lean and half fatty, and coarse grind.

S$24 for 2kg, with another 0.2kg as freebie because he put a little too much meat into the grinder and didn't want to put just that little bit away.

So that's S$12/kg, or S$1.20/100g.

Also told him to split it into 4 bags because obviously I'm storing it in the freezer.

Cooked 1 bag for dinner, minced pork in oyster sauce. Being the fourth time I cooked this dish, I naturally experimented with untested condiments.

The first time, I added light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sesame oil.

It wasn't good. Either the dark sauce or the sesame oil was the problem, but I couldn't tell for sure which was the one.

The second time, light soy sauce and sesame oil. Then I learnt the sesame oil was the issue. The aroma just doesn't fit.

The third time, nothing else, just the oyster sauce.

It was just like my mum's. Yea, I've been trying to remake her dishes.

Today, dark soy sauce and light soy sauce. It was also pretty good, just a slightly different flavour.

I try to make it very salty by adding minimal water and plenty of soy sauce for cost-saving reasons.

According to my calculations, this delicious meal should cost less than 2 bucks. Best and most filling meal I've ever had for S$2.












SAT

Did another experiment tonight.




Success!

A little too much basil but that's more of an issue of waste than taste.

Marinated two kampong chicken thighs (normal chicken parts were sold out when I got there) in basil, rosemary, oregano, black pepper and salt.

In short, I threw random dried herbs on them and put them back into the fridge for half a day.

I didn't actually know how long I should roast them and I didn't think there were any recipes that were going to give me an accurate timing for this type of chicken, so I made a rough initial estimate of 20mins at 180 degrees Celsius.

Later at 15mins I lowered it to 150.

After skewering them with the skewer meant for a whole chicken (according to the oven's user menu), I thought it was going to be very dry if I just put them into the oven like this.

Then I realized I'd forgotten the honey, so I took out my basting brush and half a tablespoon of honey from my little overpriced tub of honey that I keep in a very cool, dry place that no one else seems to know about.

The honey had turned almost black over the years instead of crystalizing like I thought it would, but it was perfectly edible as far as I can tell.

Nobody here uses honey at all, except for me once in a very long while. For pancakes we have extra tubs of that imitation maple syrup from MCD and for salads we use commercial salad dressings.

So I brushed the honey over the thighs and hooked the skewer inside the oven to form a rotisserie.

This is the first time I've ever used the rotisserie function of this oven.

Hence I'd actually rehearsed the act of placing the skewer into the rotating mechanism in the oven using the tool that came with it (so that I didn't have to hold the skewer with my hands) beforehand.

At 15mins while I lowered the temperature I also rebasted with the remaining honey.

It was not overcooked. The skin was a little burnt but that was to be expected. Moreover, it didn't affect the taste.

This is my best success so far with a completely random recipe I'd made up on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment