Monday 9 January 2012

Rant 920 / Deer Penis Soup With Meat Balls

I'm starting to really respect those guys behind the search engine of Google. When you google "spesskem", you get results for the game Spacechem.



How does it do that??













I'm interested to know the rest of the story in Skyrim, but I just can't find the motivation to play it. Meanwhile, I try to avoid spoilers.












Workers tried to make me give them an extra day off for Chinese New Year.

Fortunately one was honest enough to tell me when my mum used to let them go and when their CNY holidays used to end, because that was one of the many things that she never remembered to tell me.

So their holidays begin on the twenty-sixth day on the lunar calendar, and ends on the third day like everyone else, which means they get only a single free day this year because that day is a Friday.

One kept asking me if I could let them go on the Thursday instead, but I insisted on following my mum's practices.

That was a convenient excuse.

Why on earth would I want to let them go earlier than usual when I have no idea if I am going to get more work for them just before the holidays?

Maybe, just maybe, if things remain quiet for the first three days of that week, I'll let them take the Thursday off. No point making them stay when there's no real work I need them to do.

Moreover, since their wages are calculated on a daily basis, I'll get to save some money by giving them an additional day of holiday.

I can't tell them this. It might give them false hope or something. I'll just see what happens on the Wednesday.


 EDIT: Holy crap! I'm glad I didn't agree to giving them another day! New goods are finally coming just before CNY! They're going to be busy!












Blizzard came up with a new offer I almost couldn't refuse: buy 1 year's worth of WoW subscription and get Diablo III free.

I almost subscribed immediately.

Then I saw the price: 180 days cost US$77.

Nope.

I don't play MMORPGs these days. Even when I found out that Lineage II, a game I spent about 2 years on and the first 3D MMORPG I played, has become f2p and removed most of the grinding for players, I still didn't bother to even check out the website.

US$155 for D3 isn't worth it.

Moreover, the WoW today isn't the WoW I used to be addicted to anymore.













Kids in Singapore think that being the President is "the coolest job ever".

Kateline Teo, a 37-year-old mother of two told Yahoo! Singapore, "It's like taking a swipe at the President. I don't think they voted it as the 'coolest or best job' because it's a respectful job."

"The kids probably get the impression that a President's job is easy money and they get paid forever," Teo added.

Other parents echoed this view. Another parent, Mrs Chua, 33, said that "even kids realise that the President doesn't do much but still gets paid a load of money."


If the parents are right about the reason being that they think the President is grossly overpaid for his workload, then this implies that kids today are a bunch of bloody slackers.

I wonder if those parents are proud of this.

These kids aren't going for something they respect, nor are they going for something meaningful.

They're going for something that's easy.

Bloody slackers!

And then you blame the government for bringing in so many foreigners to boost our workforce.


79 per cent of the children said they would prefer to spend time with their families than making money. This was a drop from last year's 96 per cent. The children surveyed gave reasons such as:

- “Money simply cannot provide happiness”

- “We can't buy time and family”

- “Money is always there but my family may not be”

I am not amused :\

1) Money can provide happiness. You're just thinking about those morons who take on too much work for the money in the mistaken belief that they can handle the load.

2) Money can buy time and family. When you spend more to travel faster, you're basically buying time.

With enough money, you can buy a spouse, kids and just about anybody you want. Need blood relation in the family members? Clone them.

You can't buy a perfect clone complete with the original's mind and all that. That's about it.

3) Money is not always there. Think 1997 Asia. Think 2008 US. But neither is your family, so you need think about how you spend your time.



Why do people still insist on feeding our next generation with that simplistic nonsense? This is the 21st century already.

No comments:

Post a Comment