Friday 6 January 2012

Rant 919 / SpessKem Is Unexpectedly Fun

My gaming preference took an unexpected turn recently when I somehow just kept playing SpaceChem, a singleplayer puzzle game involving the production of predefined molocules using what was provided.

Currently, I'm at the final stage of the fourth planet, Alkonost, where I'm again allowed to choose between going straight for the final Defense mission or complete an optional challenge named "Going Green".

I'm on the challenge now and this game is starting to get very complicated.

For example, in one of my reactors in Going Green, it looks like this:



This pair of loops assumes that Input Beta always arrives earlier than Input Alpha. The trouble is that this isn't true, and that sometimes Beta takes forever to get here, and which totally screws up the timing.

If Beta arrives later than Alpha, then top most white Bonder slot would be filled by the red loop before the blue loop can arrive at the Sync in the cross-junction the second time. In this case, they would collide, which isn't allowed.

The trouble is, I can't just put another pair of "Sync" down to synchronise their timings because one blue loop is programmed to take as long as two red loops.

My solution: a complete revamp of my entire system of 5 reactors because this reaction requires me to adjust the timing of the two molecules of the inputs which will take one more reactor than I'm allowed.

The tools mechanics are all very easy to understand. The only challenge in this game is that what you're given need to be processed before they can be used to make what is asked of you.

IMO computer programmers would find this game similar to what they do. It's all about logic and perhaps a bit of judgement about the placement of things.

The two main reasons that keep me interested are:

1) the story. I still don't know what's disrupting their operations but the story at this point hints that an external factor is being hidden by the upper management from the rest of the world.

2) the autosaves. I love how everything is autosaved constantly such that I have yet to be annoyed by any bugs, and every step I make is recorded from the very first to the 9000th so that I can just undo each one till I reach the state I want to return to.

3) the completed system. Once you get the entire system working flawlessly, it's... beautiful.





EDIT: OH SHIT I JUST REALIZED I CAN SOLVE THE TIMING ISSUE USING THE SENSOR! I CAN JUST PREVENT ALPHA LOOP FROM WORKING TILL THE SENSOR DETECTS AN INPUT AT BETA!

I'd already erased the entire map and redid things several times. I'll have to replace everything from scratch.

EDIT 2: Nope, that didn't work. The sensor prevents the red loop from delivering its O atoms on its second lap when blue's S atom is already at the centre. Guess I'll have to make a new plan.














Unfortunately this doesn't work here.

All those coupons shown do not have a minimum purchase requirement even though they allow a discount on small amounts of each product.

This is a deliberate omission which never happens for any coupons here.

The most similar coupon I've seen would be the same except it allows a percentage discount. No such thing as a $1 discount with no minimum purchase because what she did was exactly what the marketing people want to avoid.

Believe me. I've even tried to see to if I could combine coupons the way she did, like the ones from Giant.

What I observed was that the guys working there knew exactly what they were doing, so that any overlaps are carefully avoid other than the few products that still aren't cheap despite a combined discount. They seemed to even taunt me with almost identical products that differ only in brand or amount.












The Prosperity burgers from MCD suck, the sole reason being that it's just black pepper.

The black pepper sauce dominates the entire burger so much there is really no other flavour.

The beef version is even worse because the patty is so soft (unless you like mushy patties).

Sauces and gravy are supposed to improve the flavour of a dish, not become it.

No wonder MCD only whips it out during certain special occasions. Its novelty and the fact that black pepper is so popular makes it successful, but only as long as its novelty lasts.











I procrastinate. The reason is different but the result remains the same - I procrastinate.

I no longer have to worry about failure, yet I still try to put off tasks till much later.

It is a reason I do not wish to talk about, yet I must think about it to find a solution.

I must do it, therefore I must overcome it.













I know I've posted this long ago but I just don't get tired of it.












After watching some more Valkyria Chronicles streamed by someone live from his TV, I really feel like getting a PS3.

Yet I know if I do, I wouldn't have the time nor mood to play it.

Heck, I still haven't finished Persona 4 after all these months.

Maybe I'll buy a new TV someday, one that consumes less power than the one in my home.

Then I'll get a PS3.

Valkyria Chronicles brings me such nostalgia, but I'm not longer the person I once was.

To fully appreciate JRPGs and any games that require grinding, one must possess a certain degree of dislike for reality.

I used to be able to handle grinding, maybe because that's an easier way to achieve anything than what I have in real life.

Now I find grinding very boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment