Friday 27 January 2012

Rant 932 / Not Everything Is Cheap In China

Finally got my package from DealExtreme. Just needed some replacements for the stuff I bought before.

One was the casing. I like the fake leather casing with the cover for the screen, and I accidentally dropped and broke it.

The other was the stylus. It's coming apart. It probably will still last for a month at least, maybe even forever, but I'm getting a spare just in case. Nothing to lose. This thing only costs 3USD and can be used on any other touchscreens.

Speaking of which, I just saw this stylus being offered on some group discount website for S$10 in a package together with a screen protector for the iPhone. It's still cheaper to get them from DealExtreme.

Finally the screen protector. When I dropped the phone it also got scratched, so a new one is in order.

As for the new stuff, it's a simple Bluetooth headset that's really just a tiny Bluetooth mic-cum-earphone that I can hook on my ear.

It also turns out to be a Nokia knockoff, albeit a decent one. The only reason I think it's a fake is that the area where there's supposed to be a bar code, they just print the words "Bar Code" there instead.

Then again, maybe it's the real deal and that stores are supposed to paste bar code stickers on top of the printed words.

It's going to be useful because I keep my phone in my bag and I always can't hear the ringtone when I'm in the streets. If I turn the volume loud enough to be noticeable over the traffic noises, then it's far too loud when I'm indoors.

On the other hand, I just found a Bluetooth headset of the same size being offered on a group discount website for S$15 while this was bought at US$12-something.

Just a lesson that not everything is cheap on that website.

















So now I've got CBBE mod, High-Res 4k CBBE Re-Texture mod, Killer Keos armour mod and Catwalk mod for Skyrim, this place is suddenly a much more interesting place to be in.

The only problem is that playing Skyrim now makes me want to fap.
















All those comments about how netizens say stupid things are funny.

Funny because all those things being said online is basically the same as the things one would hear if one could listen to the remarks made by everyone, and not just the people near and within your social circles.

Now that's why people up at the top don't really listen to the masses as much as the masses would like. When they try and listen, they inevitably are going to hear some of the idiocy that even you find so damn annoying.

"The internet" is what you sound like to them.

The thing is, you're most likely wrong about those comments you think nobody would ever make in real life, except they're being said by nobody you know.

The world's a huge place despite the Internet. Even in a tiny country like Singapore there are communities that I've never been in contact with.
















Haven't been blogging because I wasn't in the mood. Steroids stopped working.

Anyhow, bought SPAZ for US$3.99 after playing the demo. Not a particularly awesome game, but it's a good deal at that price. There are far more expensive forms of entertainment that I can think of.

Compare this to a movie ticket. S$10 for 90mins would be S$6.67 per hour.

US$3.99 is between S$5.20 to S$6. If the game entertains me for over an hour, it would be a better deal than visiting the cinemas.

And I'm not even including the cost of transport, food and laundry.

As for food, I just learnt that Popeye's is offering islandwide delivery. Not a bad idea. Their mashed potato is better than KFC's after all.

Not now of course. I've got to spend less on deliveries now. Heck, I've got to just spend less now.

Just realized I've got less than the desired amount of capital in my bank account for my business. This means I may have to eat into the money my father left me.

I'm not taking any money for myself from the business this year. Left all the excess to my bro because it's likely that he won't get anymore in the near future.

It's obviously still unconfirmed, but I think he's not going to join me. It's not a completely good or bad thing. Having someone less absent-minded than me here that I can trust would be nice, but there is simply not enough money both for his family and myself in the future.

Moreover, my parents' families have bad histories involving money and siblings. It could be in the genes.

I'll just have to find a way to get around this issue of mine, probably by noting everything down all the time.
















After reading the article on twins studies in this month's National Geographic Magazine, I think a lot of it makes sense.

For example, they found that difference between our IQs are 75% inherited makes sense. I mean, almost everyone in the ancient days believed in heriditary rule. It can't solely be because the kings, chiefs or whatever are able to provide a better environment for their offsprings to cultivate future rulers.

Furthermore, incest was pretty common among the rulers of many civilizations, eg Japan until recently. If it was just about "nurture" instead of "nature", adoptions would have been just as common.

There has to be some form of wisdom in it if so many are doing it.

But there's also another factor called epigenetics, which is the degree to which the genetic "instructions" are followed.

This is affected by things like stress in the womb (like if the pregnant woman gets robbed?), and makes even identical twins slightly different even though they have the same DNA.

One thing that brought me some relief was that the probability of several diseases being hereditary was not high, including diabetes and breast cancer.

I think it's obvious why I'd welcome this news.

No comments:

Post a Comment