Saturday 24 December 2011

Rant 912 / Why Aren't They Telling Business Owners At Orchard That They Should Just Set Up Their Shops Elsewhere If They Can't Handle The Floods?





You know something has to be wrong when you think that this teacher had sex with a 14-year-old married father.












I have difficulty deciding how large a bonus I should give my workers.

I know how much my mum used to pay them, yet I cannot give the same.

It's not just about the lower profits this year but also about how much they work.

For once, my mum is not answering my question about work when I asked her this.

Even in her current confused state, she is willing to give me advice, albeit unreliable ones.

This is the only part of the job where she is not telling me what to do at all.

I don't want to give them as much as they are used to but neither do I want to offend them.

What if they complain to me about the smaller bonus?

What if they compare it with what my mum used to pay them?

They have to have less respect for me already by now. I don't want them to dislike me enough to think they can take advantage of my lack of experience.

Why do people seem to envy my job?

In a couple years' time, I'll probably have to sack the older one too.

How do I fire someone who's worked with my predecessor for over a decade and with me for half that?

Yet I won't be able to let her stay. There is simply no work here for someone with a bad back and failing memory, things which are typical of people past their retirement age.

As the owner of this business, I must keep in mind its primary purpose - to profit.

Of course I'll keep her as long as she remains a productive employee, but after that, I wonder if she will understand.

It would be for the best if she would voluntarily retire before that happens to take care of her grandchildren like her predecessor did.

Funny. I used to think that that would really suck because I'd lose an experienced helper.

Now, I see that it is really the best case scenario.














Yet again, I'm learning a new lesson.

I must always book my business trips early. Always.

The nightly rates of the hotel I'm planning to book has just been raised. Now I have to fork out a few hundred dollars more for the trip to Korea.

I will still ask my friends because it feels wasteful to have a twin bed room to myself, which is sometimes the cheapest room available. Even the double bed felt a little excessive.

Despite the prices of the rooms of this hotel, breakfast is not included.

It's not exactly an issue because it's located among plenty of malls, but it just means it's more expensive than I expected for a 3-star hotel.

Coincidentally this hotel also appeared in a "best value hotels in Seoul" list in Yahoo that appeared today.

I wonder if that made the hotel jack up the prices.

I also wonder if I'm looking at the right places.

As of now, I have yet to discover whether there is a place where the Korean wholesalers congregate the way the Shanghainese ones do at Qipu Road.

All attempts at googling for an answer led me to online wholesalers instead.

Since I can't find their physical locations, I'm settling for a shopping trip instead.


I also have the same idea for Milan. If I were to go to Europe, Paris and Milan are the two places that come to my mind first.

I have read and heard a lot about the former, but really little about the latter.

Going to Milan is not a necessity for my job but I'm willing to organize a shopping trip for my friends during winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment