Wednesday 14 December 2011

Rant 906 / Those Little Fees And Charges Do Add Up

First time encountering the situation where someone actually wants to buy from us directly. She wanted to come over to buy directly, but that isn't how things work here.

I don't think I can. Whoa! I'm so new to this I don't even know for sure.

But I don't believe I can sell the same designs to multiple stores.










Walked a lot today. Went to Bugis Junction for the Starhub shop to buy a prepaid SIM card before going to the nearby OG for some luggage locks (I have a membership card there).

Got kinda lost so I went to the Bugis MRT station for the map to reorientate myself. The map in my phone was zoomed into too small an area, such that the first road name I saw outside Bugis Junction couldn't be found in my map.

Went to several other places today to settle other stuff that I normally could spread over several working days.

Then when I finally reached the POSBank near my place, it was 4.55pm and the bank was closed.

That was really annoying.

So now I have to settle that issue after I return on Sunday.

As for my office phone, I'm not transferring it to my bro's phone this time. He's kinda bad at taking down messages for me. I'm just going to have to pay more for my phone bill this month. I don't think I can divert calls to a prepaid number.

I'm kinda surprised by how little I perspired today after so much walking. My hair wasn't dripping by the time I reach OG, and it was pretty sunny until a few hours later.

I think the physical conditioning from the ICT is still effective.













First time using a prepaid SIM card.

I needed one because my current mobile plan only has a on-demand roaming service, ie it charges exorbitant rates. Last month I called someone in China for a total time of over a minute. I was charged over a dollar.

That's more than what my mum pays in some months.

Strangely I'm unable to register with her IDD service. I need to go call them up next time. Been forgetting about it for so long.

So, I paid $15 for a $18 Green Prepaid Mobile SIM Card. The main thing is that it has roaming.

I'm probably being an idiot getting screwed over by buying this card, but we all have got to start somewhere.

I'm so noob at this, I didn't even know why I was being told that I had to register this SIM card after sticking it into my phone for the first time.

I only found out after calling the toll-free customer service hotline that it takes at least an hour after putting it into my phone for it to automatically register.

This could very well also be my final time using a prepaid card, so this knowledge may turn obsolete for me after this trip.

I'm certainly making sure that I can use the Chatchat IDD and roaming services for my next trip.

...


What nonsense is this? It's been 2 hours since I used it and it's still not registered.

Are they talking about office hours?

Because it was 9pm when I opened the packaging.

...


Ok it was finally registered at 12am. Activated a number of stuff including free incoming calls (costs S$0.59 for activation WTF?) and 1GB of data download that expires after 7 days.

I believe the 1GB might be useful if I get lost in Shanghai. Who knows how much I'm going to need when using Google Maps? The next smaller option is 200MB and that sounds really little IMO.

Threw in another $10 because it must have at least $8 for me to make an international roaming call with it.

Total amount spent on this card excluding transport to the shop: $25

"Freebies" I've received:

- incoming calls
- 100 SMS
- $1.50 bonus credit for topping up online
- $3 because it originally contained $18 worth of credit and was priced at $15.


Worth it? No, but I haven't got a better alternative due to my laziness.













Bank of China is rather pointlessly named here in Singapore.

Bank accounts opened at its Singapore branches are not linked to its branches in China.

In other words, they might as well be separate banks.

What nonsense!

The only solution, if I want to spend the money from my BOC account over in China, is to apply for a BOC credit card.

Pffft...

I'd rather use my DBS Visa debit card. At least that doesn't have an annual fee.











Packed everything. Hopefully I didn't miss much, and whatever I do miss I can buy over there. Shouldn't be an issue for most things.

Passport ready. E-ticket ready. Clothes not ready, some still drying. Photocopies of my passport and IC ready. Currencies ready. Laptop ready. Prepaid SIM card most likely ready. Jacket ready. Waist pouch ready. Luggage locks ready. Bathroom necessities (just in case) ready. MFA and Singapore embassy numbers ready. Cheap travel insurance ready (MSIG's TravellerShield Classic, $24)

I just hope I don't get robbed or cheated or fall sick.

Late afternoon flight, reaching there at midnight. I wonder how bad it's going to be.

So far, it's been a educational experience. I'm noting down all my mistakes in this particular rant just in case I forget them.

No comments:

Post a Comment