Thursday 22 December 2011

Rant 911 / Luggage Stores

It used to be normal that I would feel sleepy throughout the day, but not quite to the degree that I'd be able to fall asleep. Just lethargic, and don't want to do anything but sit and play.

I haven't felt that since some time ago.

I still want to sit and play all day but I don't feel lethargic even though I've been sleeping only 6 hours every night since I returned from Shanghai, except for the first night I returned.

Yet I'm not losing weight. I must be eating too much unhealthy stuff, like BK and the durians.

Or I've been gaining muscle mass.

There goes my prediction that I could lose that 2kg by Christmas and get out of IPT.













As much as I'd like to say that things are awesome and I'm going to make my first million by 30, I cannot.

I'm making plenty of mistakes that my mother had warned me about before, one of which was the mistake of forgetting about the other costs of selling something. I've been reminding myself about them for almost everything except that one time when I was deciding the prices for the rejected samples.

Small mistakes, but mistakes nonetheless.

I have a feeling that I'm failing, but I must keep going. It's not about confidence and optimism, nor is it about what I can or want to do; it's about doing what must be done.

This is what I learnt from observing the Chinese mainlanders. They don't just look at opportunities within their limits. Like 50 Cent's album, they "get rich or die tryin'." Plenty of them have died trying but people just don't talk about those.

It's also partly what I learnt from my own parents, because that's exactly what they did. Selling clothing was never the expertise of my father. He was into silk printing for most of his working life before he set up this business in Singapore.

I came to this conclusion only when I found ancient certificates of registration of a partnership firm that does silk printing in the dusty drawers at home, and combined this with the things my mother told me about his life when he first started working in Hong Kong.

For my mother, she was only a seamstress before she took over the business. In other words, she had even less experience in running a business than I did before I took over. My father never taught her anything, unlike how she did for me.

Believe it or not, my bro and I had to lend her sizable amounts of money from our (sacred, almost untouchable) inheritance every year until about 3-4 years ago.

Now it's my turn. In exchange for a ready-made system that's already working fine, I have other prices to pay.

And issues to watch out for.

For example, I just realized a buyer, despite her friendliness, is trying to manipulate me to do part of her job for her.

Unfortunately, doing that benefits me too. It's basically a win-win situation but still, I don't like how she made it sound like it's all about helping me.










Water transport on the Singapore River?

Inb4 they charge river taxes similar to road taxes: ERP - Electronic River Pricing.




Is it just me or does ERP also read like "ear rape"?
















Next destination in my list is South Korea. I must go during winter, but due to work commitments and festivals, there is only a short period of time in January in which I can go there.

Currently planning to go on the 9th and returning on the 13th, but the only flights remaining by now leave at midnight of Friday, meaning I need to get out of the hotel on Thursday.

The alternative is Saturday, but Expedia.com.sg is not showing any available flights for pre-dawn on Saturday. Instead on that day, I get that really convenient timing of 8.55am.

So it's either book the hotel for 3 nights from Monday to Wed (check out on Thu), or 5 nights from Mon to Fri (check out on Sat).

I can't get the 5D4N that I wanted unless I pay hundreds more for a more expensive flight that leaves at the time I want.

I guess everyone wants to get home by Saturday afternoon.

As for hotel, obviously it will be in Seoul. I'm only going for one or two parts of the city, because I only want to see the best area(s) for now.

If I go for the 3-night stay, it will be cheaper. The 5-night option is more expensive per night on average, probably because of the Friday night.

Fine, I'll take the Mon-Sat option. Both flights would depart at in the morning and arrive in the evening.

That should give me 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment