Thursday 6 October 2011

Rant 867 / Kung Pao Chicken / 宫保鸡丁

So Firefox has been having difficulty syncing. Something about servers being overloaded.

I wonder how they make money in the first place to afford those servers.











Steve Jobs died from complications of pancreatic cancer. I guess the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 were his swan song. He probably died satisfied.










Dinner.

Initially planned to cooked for me and my bro, but he ended up eating with his girlfriend outside. I think he prefers to do that when she's around. Good for me.

Now I won't have to prepare much for my next two dinners.




4 chicken drumsticks for S$4.50, bought from the only stall that sells any sort of meat still open in the wet market at 12pm. The other vendors were cleaning up by the time I got there.





Every chicken lover's dream - deboned drumsticks. Removed most of the skin but I'm too noob to get everything out.





Eyeballed some sesame oil, light soy sauce and potato starch. Mixed them properly with my bare hands (washed with soap of course).



All the bones, tendons and skins are here. Notice I cracked/broke all the bones to make sure the marrow gets out.

This also shows I'm not an experienced chef. Just look at how much meat is left on the bones!





And this is how chicken stock is made.






Time to reduce the heat. Smells good.






As you can see, my dessert didn't require much preparation. A third of them were overripe, which you can tell from the looks of some of them. I just picked the normal looking ones when I ate them and threw the rest.






Marinated for about 1-2 hours. I left this in the fridge and the cold dried up the meat on the surface slightly.






The rest of the ingredients plus the vegetable for a side dish. We all gotta have some fibre every day.






 Placed the pot with the chicken stock on another stove so that I can cook on the one I prefer.






Frying the meat. I use a single chopstick to stir because I'm awesome like that.






I didn't want to use the usual method of draining the meat (by tilting the entire pan) because I didn't want to have any accident. This is how I drained the chicken.






Frying the dried chilli. A tiny bit of nasal irritation from the fumes but nowhere near what would have happened if I were frying fresh chilli.




 

My chicken, waiting.






Throw in the ginger, garlics and spring onions into the chilli and fried them for a bit. Threw in the chicken, sauce (half jar) and the cashew nuts when I felt the initial mix was about to get burnt.






 Ready!

Contrary to what you may think, this is actually NOT a spicy dish. The dried chilli does not make it hot probably because the embryos (the source of the spiciness) have shrunk into nothing.






My turtle smelled the Kung Pao Chicken. Too bad. I gave it some of my vegetables (raw) and an apple instead.

Notice the uneaten stem behind it. Like I said before, it's kinda picky.

That spoilt fella.






Sio pek chye ( 小白菜 xiao3 bai2 cai4) is easy to cook. Get some hot oil, drop a pinch of salt and throw them in. The only problem with this vegetable is that it needs to be thoroughly cleaned because bugs and soil can hide between the stems.







 Added some half-ready chicken stock to improve the flavour.






Guess how I got the rice into the bowl.

It's always fun to flip the pot with the bowl. Obviously I don't do it while it's hot. First, it's hard to grip. Second, the rice sticks harder when it's hot.

And that's three meals' worth of Kung Pao Chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment