Friday 27 July 2012

Rant 1030 / And Then I Was Cone.

At first I thought I had overspent horrendously in June but I had forgotten I had used at least $1500 on tuition fees for the coming semester, work and medical fees. In the end, my usual expenditure remains the same but this has made me rethink my estimate of my budget.

Instead of an expected upper limit of $500, I may have to consider raising it to $1000. Of course, it's all in my mind.

I should also consider having porridge for breakfast more often.

If this continues, I could spend up to $25k annually. My income and savings targets simply cannot support that kind of expenditure.

Taking a bus to work seemed like a good idea at first, but according to my calculations using the bus fare calculator it will only cut around $100-150 a month. Pffft...

It would make more sense for me to cut my meal deliveries down to once a week like we used to, which would reduce my expenditure by around $200 a month.

And that will still be ineffective in the long run. Food is the area I believe I spend the most, yet I'm not sure if I can cut any deeper.
















I am pretty sure the police investigators and their superiors have already thought about this before they started arresting people, but I do hope they win this case for their own sake. If the CHC members are found innocent, not only does it undermine the public's trust in the police, CHC might even have a case against them when it's over.

For defamation and whatever. Might even demand for damages, and it's I think it's possible they could win, but only if they're not guilty in the first place.


















I am surprised I have come to the day when I feel that a cotton sweater sample is superior to the woollen sweater sample.

I didn't know that 30% in the mix ratio can make cotton/acrylic feel better than a wool/acrylic one.



















Been playing a lot of Grimrock. Or at least during the times when I have the time and mood for it.

Missed a lot of stuff even though the perfectionist in me went through each level as thoroughly as I could.

I did everything right except deliberately falling into pits.

I missed 6 levels worth of pits due to this, and I'm pretty sure there were some serious goodies in a few of those that I will never get in this playthrough.

...

Ok just beat Grimrock. It reminded me of this really old video.



Didn't spend the time to use the keys I found on the Prison floor because I only noticed them when it was too late and there was no time to stand and look around.

Also didn't find Toorum.

Finally, I had only found 4 out of the 7 secrets. As thorough as I tried to be, clearly it wasn't enough.

Game's pretty good. Simple but good. Length was just right IMO because it was too simple and monotonous to hold anyone's attention longer.

The end came at just the right time - I was beginning to think of jokes to mock the lack of plot in the game. However I wouldn't say the plot was good. It was good that it was simple :P

No really, if they made it anymore complex based on this same storyline, it would really suck. The story sucked, but it was so short and simple we couldn't really feel the badness. On the other hand, if they had fleshed it out, they would have expanded the badness, and we would feel bad for playing it.

There are so many holes in the plot, I don't really know where to begin.

The biggest one has to be how pointless dismantling the cube was. It couldn't climb stairs anyway! They could have just left it there forever when it dropped to that level! They wouldn't have needed to build anythng; they could have just built a gigantic flight of stairs! Far simpler than what they built.

And then they could just spend their old age sitting on one side taunting it forever while living on escargot and sauteed mushrooms. Might eventually die of scurvy but euthanasia was just a few steps down anyway.

















Just watched my bro do his workout.

I guess he's now my role model for exercises.





















My bro bought a jar of turtle feed that turned out to be unsalted dried shrimps... at $7.50 for 55g.

I went to the market to check the price by buying 300g of an unknown type I randomly pointed at and it cost me $6. It's salted so I have to soak it for a while before I can use it as feed.

I believe he can stop buying tuna from now on too since this can also replace it. He can soak it for 30mins and blend it with the lettuce and make ice cubes with the mix. I feed the elder turtle with the ice. I wouldn't say she loves the cubes; it's more "instant feeding frenzy" than "love".























One of my staff has always told me she's poor, mostly because she has to split the costs with her siblings to keep their father in a nursing home.

So I believed her... until she also told me she goes to a private clinic for her annual health screening and recently went to a private hospital to get her knees checked after experiencing discomfort there.

Yeah, poor, right.

Good thing the other one doesn't even pretend that she doesn't really give a damn about the pay.




















Getting Rosetta Stone for Korean. Might be good to know a tiny bit of the language.

The last time I tried French on Rosetta Stone, I find that it's not as useful as taking a semester in basic French, but it's much more fun. The programme doesn't really go into the basics but instead, it goes straight into teaching users pronunciations and basic words and phrases.

Good for learning enough for short vacations but not nearly enough for anything else.

Then again, I've only tried Level 1, so I may not be completely right.
























Had to redo my sleep study last night. They said the pulse monitor on my finger stopped working for half the night. The guy who came over to set up everything seemed to think I had made a fist or gripped something hard but I don't remember doing anything like that.

Hopefully it was ok this time. My doctor's appointment is in the coming week and they need 2-3 days to get me the report.

Slept better this time though. Maybe I was tired (I was already sleepy at 9.30pm when he arrived) or maybe the abdomenal band was higher this time.






















Tried Evochron Mercenary.

I can't say much about the game on the whole since I'm stuck on the very first quest: finding New Hope.

Let's just say the humongous wall of text the developers call "training" was not exactly interesting.

Got bored, didn't listen to quite a few things, but I have the feeling it didn't mention how I could find specific planets until I was close to them anyway.

The game might be good, but still.

Whatever they say about old school games, the style in which this game was probably made, they lacked good design, and by "design" I mean the learning curve.

Nobody picks up a game to suffer. Or rather, relatively few people. I want a game to be fun. If I wanted to read through 6 pages of lecture notes, I go to school.

This could be why computer games weren't exactly mainstream until recent years. Game designers started to realize games aren't fun until they're easy to pick up.

Look at all the popular games around the world: football, bowling, Scrabble, Monopoly, strip-poker, etc.

None of them are hard to learn. None of them require players to read much before they can participate.

They're just hard to master.



I am still interested in the game but it just wore off my patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment