Tuesday 24 July 2012

Rant 1029 / Crocodile Mouth

SAT



While boiling the soup for 6 hours yesterday, I realized why double-steaming is a separate technique from simple boiling.

Double-steaming involves a sealed container placed within a larger pot of boiling water, with no direct contact between the smaller container and the water surface in the pot, usually by using a steam stand.

You have to be serious distracted to burn your soup if you're double-steaming it.

The other benefit is that it distributes heat far more evenly than basic boiling, since the steam at the surface of the water can't be much hotter than then steam near the top compared to the temperature difference between the bottom of the pot and the water surface.

I find that as an amateur, I tend to burn stuff too easily. Even in soups, the ingredients at the bottom can burn if I do not remember to lower the heat once it begins to boil. Double-steaming and double-boiling would remove this problem, although these techniques have their own issues.

For one, the containers I have are too small for me to make large batches of soup.



Also, cleaning up the pot after making soup is a pain.


















Not doing shit kills people.

5 million people die every year for not doing anything.

...Lack of exercise claimed more than 5.3 million of the 57 million deaths worldwide in 2008.

Physical inactivity was described for the study as failing to do 30 minutes of moderate physical activity five times a week, 20 minutes of vigorous activity three times a week, or a combination of the two.


30 minutes 5 times a week? Looks like I'm on the right track, unless they mean 30 minutes of continuous moderate physical activity.



















Singapore's economy should be described as "state capitalism", not "mixed economy".


















Feeling down for some reason tonight. Not tired. More like zombified. No appetite, workout felt more strenuous than usual, voice went back down to my pre-ICT volume.

Too inactive?

My guess is the shoulder training is not enough; I need cardio too.

Then again I spent most of the evening researching and booking my first trip to Seoul.

Took hours to make sure I have the best flight times and hotel locations.

According to experience, choosing the most convenient flight times is a little more complicated than choosing the hotels.

For example, I have to take into account the local rush hours. Pre-dawn is the best time for cab trips. Though the surcharge can seriously jack up the taxi fare, it's far better than getting stuck in traffic and risk arriving late for your flight home.

Another factor is the price difference versus stop time between flights. This is no issue if you book so early that you can still find cheap direct flights (e.g. from early bird discounts), but if you're as lazy as I am, you will never do so and the only ways you can get a direct flight that can be even remotely considered cheap is to either have a lot of mileage in your airline membership programme or marry a pilot.

Sometimes it's worth a hundred bucks, even fifty, to stay in an airport for 2-6 hours. The only times it's not is when it's 6 hours in the night and it's during the journey to your destination.

It is pretty hard to sleep alone in a foreign airport regardless of the time unless you're a frequent traveller.

A third factor is the intervals between flight times and the hotel's check-in and check-out times. Too early for check-out and too late for check-in is fine; the reverse is not.

The last factor I will mention, missing the complementary buffet breakfast on the departure date, is subjective. IMO it's not important but still should be avoided unless it is inconvenient or causes the trip to cost significantly more. Personally, I am hooked on the idea of travelling to the airport before dawn, so skipping to leave early is fine to me.

After all, hotel continental breakfast buffets feel the same after a while - cold (and I'm not talking about the temperature) and utilitarian.

There's nothing much to appreciate but it fills the belly until lunch or dinner.

A lot of times, I feel from eating the food that the chefs didn't really want to cook it but they did it anyway because it's the generally accepted hotel breakfast fare.

Or maybe it's just me.

Moreover hotel continental breakfast feel the same everywhere just like Macdonald's. That's probably the idea anyway.


It gets a lot more complicated when I wanted to throw in Hong Kong into the trip. Due to the lack of options, I decided to push that later into my Shanghai trip instead.

















SUN



Tried mixing a little cycling with the workout this morning.

The effect of just 5 minutes of very easy cycling on the second level of resistance (out of ten) was astonishing.

It takes 2 sets of my workout to get me properly warmed up (except for last night, somehow) but it only took 1 set plus 5 minutes of that cycling on my stationary bike to get me so warmed up that I was doing the lateral side raise perfectly, ie no pain, without any special efforts like I normally put in my left shoulder.

I didn't know that a little cardio can make such a great difference.

Also timed myself and found that each set only take 4mins to complete and my breaks last 1-2mins.

















Arranging for my Shanghai trip is so unnecessarily complicated this time.

First, I can't stay at the Bund Riverside because the hotel hasn't updated Expedia for the month I want.

Second, Expedia isn't allowing me to view the available flights separately, thereby preventing me from booking a cheaper direct flight by a separate airline from the one I'm using for the rest of the trip. It's S$200 cheaper and my current option also includes a 5-hour stop, hence my concern.

Emailed them just now and I'm waiting for their response. I expect them to offer to book everything except for the Shanghainese hotel for me manually, but I'm open to other options as long as I get the rest of the direct flights.


I chose Expedia again because apparently Tingo is US only even though it doesn't clearly state it on its website. Tingo's prices combined with air tickets from other websites like Cheaptickets.sg would have been slightly cheaper than the combination at Expedia, even with the combo discount there.

Both Expedia and Cheaptickets have discounts for DBS cards, but the promotional offer by Cheaptickets doesn't apply to budget airlines and is $20 less than the one offered by Expedia.

The offer at Expedia that I'm talking about is the S$60 discount for packages exceeding $1500.

















Teamviewer works! Now I can access my PC through my iPad instead of having to dump everything in Dropbox. On the other hand, I'm reading bad reviews for its paid version. Teamviewer is only free for personal use, so when businesses use it, they have to pay.

Everything lags, which makes sense, and the iPad can't display all the colours that the PC can, so this can't be used for watching videos or playing games. Mainly, it's for surfing the web, working with documents and chatting.
















Skipped the workout before lunch before I forgot. I forgot because I'm tired. Been sleeping late.

But the pre-dinner workout was different. Since the cycling was so effective at raising my metabolism (which made me finally really understand why the PE teachers used to make us jog as a warm-up exercise), I decided to alternate each set with 5 minutes of cycling.

I didn't even have to maintain some sort of pace; as long as I keep moving, it works. I even paused a few times when I was using my iPad (I found out I could safely leave it on the handle resting on the timer display) and it was just as effective.

Result was just more perspiration which I believe means my metabolic rate rose higher than usual.

I'd just cycle but it's so boring to me.



















MON








It just feels a little unusual that only specific parts of my shoulders and chest ache instead of the entire shoulder.

Today shall be my first rest day of the week. Again, I'd cycle but it's too boring.








I am actually kinda worried about the trip to Korea but the many discussions and reviews I've read say that it's possible to survive without knowing any Korean in Seoul.

It's a good thing I'm only staying in one specific tourist-friendly part of Seoul, although I am going to need a 3G connection this time - for an online translator in case shit happens.

So I did some googling on how to get a 3G prepaid SIM card there and... there isn't any.

I can, however, rent a portable 3G modem that's larger than the ones I own for around S$8 a day.

Awesome deal.

It's also super convenient because I can reserve online and the shop is open 24 hours daily at the Incheon airport.

There are also other alternatives since this isn't the only shop that does it.

As long as roaming works for my phone, I don't need another SIM card or phone for calls. I'll have to check when I arrive though.

The reason for choosing a portable modem instead of renting a 3G phone is because I want to keep using my phone and my iPad. Getting the rental phone will mean I have to carry an additional gadget that will still merely serve as a mobile Internet access point for me.















TUE


Holy feck! The sleep study test was more horrible than the one I saw on House.

When I heard that it was done at home, I thought they were going to set up some simple monitoring device like maybe a camera and some simple pulse and breath monitoring device.

No.

Instead I get electrodes planted all over my head, and wired ones at that! Wires! At least the guy bundled them right under my chin to keep them neat.

That's not even the worst part. No, far from it. That was the part I could easily ignore after I got used to sleeping on them.

One of the worst parts was the nasal tube thing that I used to see on my mother when she had her breathing problems near the end, except in her case it was connected to a pump.

Mine appeared to work solely as a device to hold the actual monitor in position. It might not seem obvious, but it blocks airflow into my nose. Not much but enough to annoy me a few times during the night.

The worst had to be the two elastic bands around my torso, one around my abdomen and one around my chest. Whenever I relaxed enough to fall asleep, I felt as if I was being slowly suffocated. My lungs took most of the night to get used to the extra resistance from the bands, so that by the time I woke up for the morning at 6.20am, I badly stank of dried sweat.

Finally, there was the monitoring device about 13cm X 8cm X 4cm (padded pouch included) on the chest band in front. I could lie on it without damaging it but I wouldn't want to. I mean, who would?

When he was nearly done setting all these up, I asked him if it would be the same if I had chosen to do it at NUH. Apparently, yes it would have been, except in some cases he heard the patient also has to stay inclined on the bed. In contrast, I could roll around and even sleep on my abdomen, ie on top of the device, if I was masochistic enough.

Anyway all the electrodes were stuck on me using this adhesive glue produced by Grass, apparently known as "EC2 Grass Electrode Cream". According to this guy, it would solidify within 30mins and it could be easily washed off after in a shower.

And it felt like strong glue when he tore them off.

It's a good thing it was water-soluble because two electrodes were in my hair.

So as for the whole test, I don't know how it's supposed to work. How do people sleep normally with all these things attached to them?

I couldn't, and the results will probably reflect a very bad night of sleep. Heck, anyone who goes through that sleep study will test positive for sleep apnea even if they really don't have it, unless they can somehow detect when I'm actually sleeping.




I am so glad I don't have to go to work today, although I'm going to need to go to the bank to collect my temporary chequebooks. I kinda told them I would, but now I think I'll just ask the banker to courier it to my home address instead.























So while I was researching on the Shanghai-HK trip, I suddenly thought about taking a cruise back to Singapore.

Results were... intriguing.

Initially I thought Star Cruises might have them since they are pretty well-known in this part of the world, but the website shows nothing of this sort.

However, my searches were more fruitful in other websites like this CruiseCompete.com.

From this website, I found out that there are at least 3 seemingly affordable cruises from HK to SG next year that last only slightly over a week.




I say "only" because there are far longer cruises like 21 nights.


From other websites, a 14-night cruise can cost around US$1700. Hence my guess is that these 8- or 9-night cruises will cost around just US$1000.

According to the itineraries I've seen, passengers get to spend a day at each stop during the cruise. Guided tours are also available for each of them, at an additional cost of course.

As for complementary meals, I don't know but they're unlikely.

Therefore, together with all the meals at the classy restaurants onboard (I'm pretty sure they don't have cheaper alternatives like MacDonald's), that US$1000 can easily turn into US$2500 even if you don't take guided shore excursions at all.

Still, they actually look quite possible to me.

Someday.




And someday, I'll book a cabin on that 68-night cruise.



And that's how someone can blow through ten thousand bucks easy.

Personally, I estimate that I spend around S$1500 a month, inclusive of utility bills and my bro's phone bills. US$10,000 in 2 months is just almost quadruple my spending rate.

Actually, US$10,000 wouldn't be enough.

Say each meal costs only US$50 (a rough estimate of the average between meals ashore and onboard), 68*3*50 = 10,200.

Looks like the budget would have to go as high as US$25,000. About $8000 for the cruise alone, $11,000 for the meals and waiters' tips, and $6000 for onboard entertainment, shore excursions, insurance, shopping and etc.

US$25,000 is S$31,500 right now. Split over two months, that's over eight times my average monthly spending rate. Ouch!

Can I hoard combat rations during my ICTs (if they're ever issued) and bring onboard a duffle bag filled with them instead? I heard they taste delicious when we're starving.


...

Ok a 9-night cruise on the Silver Shadow cost around US$5000 minimum. I might have seriously underestimated the cost of the QE2 cruise then.

Apparently there are no inside cabins on the Silver ships, so everyone lives in cabins with windows, and such cabins are always expensive on all cruises.

It also comes with $500 onboard credit per cabin occupant, so it could theoretically cover the food costs.

...

I do see one HK-SG cruise that's going for about US$1500! This price, together with the taxes and fees, comes with $75 of onboard credits. Probably enough for one meal, two if you are trying to slim down.

For a room with a porthole aka window, the room would cost around US$600 more minimum. Very reasonable when you take into account the fact that this cruise lasts 8 nights, ie 10 days.






Prices are for single passengers. Presumably, having more people with you is going to drive down the price per pax because the one guy is going to stay in a cabin meant for at least two people, though I have not confirmed this.

Seriously, this cruise is very possible for me, if not for the dates. The total budget of a 10-day trip to Hong Kong would easily exceed that of this cruise for me.

...

Oh wow I found even cheaper ones when I googled the term "cruises Singapore". One is at around US$850, but it probably has a lot of hidden fees that will only be shown once you submit a booking request.

























Maybe I'm bored, but now I see why the price of Legends of Grimrock on Steam is dropping so slowly compared to other indie games.

It's actually good, just like SPAZ (the fun, not anything else).

The problem is that it's only at 60% off the last time it appeared on sale on Steam, which is 15% too low for me.

However I had previously expressed interest in the game to my bro and the night it got on... he bought it for me.

It was the day I got back from ICT and it went on sale that night, either Flash Sale or Community Choice. Whatever it was, it was on sale after 7pm.

I know that because I was so tired from ICT I fell asleep at 7 that night and slept all the way till 7am the next morning.

Now I think it was Community Choice because I recall wanting to wait for it to come on before I sleep, then rejecting the idea because it was only 60%. However I was so tired by late afternoon I neglected to inform my bro of this second thought.

Anyway, it's worth the money even at 60% off. Moreover the difference between 60% and 75% discount is only US$2.25, so it's not that bad; it's just against my principle to buy anything less than 75% off on Steam.























Ministry of Supply finally sent me the survey to find out what sizes and colours I want for my shirts. This means they're getting ready to ship soon and have the production part ready.

TBH I don't expect them to ship next month as they promised on Kickstarter because the demand had far exceed their initial expectations. So, whatever. If they ship early, awesome. If they don't, it's not unexpected. I'll only have a problem with them if they do not deliver within 6 months of their promised month, August.























I think I actually like shoes. I find myself returning to Gilt and Amazon daily to look at them.

Must... resist... temptations!

And then Amazon sends me a 20% off coupon for sports items. I don't have a pair of sports shoes ever since the last one I had "crocodiled" during ICT. Both shoes.

No idea where the term "crocodile" in this sense came from but I first heard it used by the RSM during my ICT and it kinda made sense so I keep using it after that.

Crocodile

Both my last pair of combat boots and sports shoes crocodiled during the ICT, the latter on the final day of it while the former came apart at the end of the outfield training and I desperately kept it together with superglue for the next few days.

But anyway, so I keep looking at shoes. I even wanted a pair of canvas shoes but thought that I rarely have the opportunity to wear it so it would be a waste of money.

I'm glad my reason is still here, or I'd probably have ordered my third pair of shoes by now. I've already wasted money by buying the suede shoes. It was a matter of want, not need, since I could have just bought a normal patent leather shoes instead of getting those after I had the suede shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment