Friday 20 July 2012

Rant 1028 / Double Nothing Everything

I've been so tempted to buy a game for my iPad since all the free games suck.

At one point I went to the confirmation popup before I stopped myself from buying Spectral Souls.

Then I wanted to buy FFIII and FF Tactics.

Now I've to repeatedly remind myself this is not for games, and that all the games there suck compared to those on my PC anyway.



















Ok, now I feel what my bro was trying to tell me. Parts of my shoulders ached since this morning whenever I lift my arms. I'm going to rest today.























The West may call China's investments in Africa "neo-colonialism" but I say that's just their anxiety talking. Even if it's true that it's not a completely fair deal for the Africans in general, with all the infrastructure developed by Chinese investments, I believe this has to be better than everything the West has done for the continent in the last several decades.

Since their efforts aren't working, perhaps we should let the Chinese have a go at it, even if it's to their benefit. It's not like what the West did in Africa all these years didn't benefit themselves anyway.






















Now I feel like applying for SAFRA membership since they're having 40% off to celebrate the 40th anniversary this month.

It's just around S$140 for 8 years, and since they recently announced that the government is spending quite a fortune to improve SAFRA, I'm pretty sure they will be jacking up their membership fees in the future, probably in about 3-4 years' time.

Right now, there isn't much that I'd want from the membership other than the $90-for-$100 vouchers for various supermarkets including the one near my home, and the free financial management programme.

Limited to just 2 sets per member, the vouchers will already offset $20 this year, versus the $17-18 for the membership fee of this year alone. I've also accounted for the transport fee, which would have made the vouchers pointless (I'd have to get a cab to the SAFRA at Mount Faber) if not for the fact that I need to visit an E-Mart sometime this year to buy a new pair of boots for my next ICT.

Moreover, a friend in ICT advised me to forget about waiting for my fixed deposits to mature in 2 years if I have better things to invest in. I'll have to find a fund I want and then do some math before I follow this advice.

What I have on my mind right now is unit trusts because as always, I am looking at the long term. My current investment-linked policy at Prudential is really a trust fund investment combined with a life insurance policy, but I feel that it's not enough.

And apparently it's better to invest in the trusts separately from the insurance anyway.

Since this is not an insignificant sum, I'll have to give it a night or two before I make this decision.


























Made soup. Lotus root, peanuts, a whole chicken breast, a cube of chicken essence and a teaspoon of salt.

Took 5 hours of constant boiling before the peanuts turned soft. At the 3-hour mark I was beginning to get worried that it might stay hard till the next day, but it turned out fine in the end.

Had to set hourly alarms to make sure I didn't burn it, but it's worth it... once in a while.

I'd take a picture but it's just a pot of reddish-brown anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment