Thursday 23 June 2011

Rant 800 / Time Passes

I just discovered Angry Birds. Reminded me of an identical game that was on Newgrounds that I played long ago when I didn't know what Angry Birds was. Didn't play much. It sucks as a desktop game, but is great as a handphone game.

Anyway...



Epic.









Gah! I typed so much but after I looked at another window and returned, I hit backspace before I clicked on this text. The backspace went to the browser instead of the test and the Blogger didn't save anything but the above.










Got to love the alarm of the new phone. I've always woken up to harsher things, so this new alarm is amazing to me.

I remember the in primary school, I used to be woken up in two ways.

First my bro would wake up. He always does. He's better than me at following a routine day in and day out. Though he slept in the same room as me in those days, he usually would be too quiet for me to notice in my sleep. But initially he relied on an alarm clock, and that would wake me up.

When he got up, he brush his teeth, wash his face and switch on the light in the living room. The loud click of the switch would wake me up again. 10 minutes later, my mum would come in and scratch my foot with her fingernails to wake me up. I think it was funny in the beginning.

Later he'd wake up at the same time without an alarm. That went on for many years. So during those days, I'd be woken up by the switch first and I'd almost never heard him get up and leave the room.

During those intervals, I'd be trying to go back to sleep while dreading the end of the final 10 minutes of the comfort of the bed.

I used to tell myself I'd sleep again after school.

I never did.

Nowadays this never works on me anymore because I recognize the fact that I won't feel sleepy when I get home.

Next was the army. It wasn't as bad, but waking up for patrols always sucked. We did try to wake each other up as quietly as possible, but nothing gets your heart pumping like a stroll in the dark within 5mins after the person calls your name.

University was much worse again. I used and I'm still using my handphone exclusively for my morning alarms but back then, I didn't know the current alarm could be this great.

So I thought I'd use music as the alarm and experimented with stuff I like.

I stopped liking the music within the week.

Apparently, whatever music I use as the alarm, I'd inevitably associate it mentally with waking up involuntarily in the morning for classes, and I hate that part of the day.

Finally I realized there was no point using anything pleasant as the alarm, hence I changed it to something I disliked, Macarena, in order to give myself additional motivation to stretch out and turn the alarm off.

It worked. I always spring up and hit the button within 5 beats unless I was really tired.

Now, the N8's alarm is fantastic. I didn't even know it could be pleasant.

It begins with a single soft beep, then gradually progresses to 3 loud beeps. The difference was more than I expected.










It feels strange.

Life used to be simpler but now I am forced to look beyond. I have to do it before I am forced to.

And I have to think about life on my own.

Things used to be simpler. I do as I'm told and I play the rest of the time. Even at work I'm just a robot.

Now the employees are asking me how they should address me. It's awkward. I'm now at the stage where people I meet are supposed to call me "Mr [surname]" instead of addressing me by my first name.

I can also do anything I want and there is nobody who will even tell me to stop as long as I stay within the boundaries of the law.

I knew this day would come but it doesn't make it any less uncomfortable.

I know it's normal but having people older than me addressing me so formally does not feel natural to me.

Perhaps I should end the above sentence with "yet", but I'm not sure.

Soon, I'll have to handle the rest too. That's not fun for me. I dislike losing money, something that is inevitable in my current career. I have plans to stop if I lose too much though it's something I'd very much prefer to avoid.

I'm 95% sure my mum has already spoken to a number of people to make my early career easier, albeit for a finite period of time. I mean, that's what mothers do. In the long term, I don't know.

Que sera sera.










I love the camera of this N8. I've just tried to take a picture of some sample jackets with the measuring tape on top.

I could see the numbers on the tape.

Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment