Saturday 25 June 2011

Rant 801 / Wandering Eyes

TF2 is about to become F2P with cash shop. Valve is certainly amazing at figuring out how to squeeze every last dime out of the game. I'm not saying it's bad; in fact I like this move. This is an actual win-win situation for both developer and player.

And it also tells us that TF2 isn't selling anymore. About time.

...

Oh hey TF2 is free to play now on Steam!!!
























Did a preemptive check on the map of Guangzhou, especially the locations of the place I'm planning to go and the airport. Anybody familiar with the fashion industry in China would probably be able guess with some certainty where I'm going.

There aren't many places I can choose from.

Planning to stay in a 4-star hotel in the area, preferably in walking distance, but most likely I won't get anything that close. And yes I'm aware that their roads are pretty dangerous.

It's nice they have an Airport Expressway. Makes life simpler.

But the hotel is a problem. There's only one 4-star hotel within walking distance of my target and no 5-star. There are another 2 within 1km but a click is kinda far if I were to buy anything in bulk.

Oh and don't worry. A night in that hotel is only between S$70-90 for a twin bed room, and includes internet access (though probably not in the rooms). Perfectly affordable.

This means I may have to book early.

As for food, I'm fully prepared to splurge on hotel food. Not room service, that's for sure, but hotel restaurants. I'll probably go for restaurants outside for lunch. Dinner, maybe.

Not touching roadside food this time. I don't have the time to waste on shitting my guts out in the hotel in this trip.

...

Oh wait a min... there are fast food restaurants nearby! Even a 24-hr Mac! LOL! No fear of hunger now. I wonder what China MCD tastes like. Will the coffee be as shitty?

Seriously, I can't take Mac's coffee without creamer. I don't know why exactly, but sugar can't seem to cover up the bitterness. For the Korean beans I'm using right now, I actually drink the coffee black everyday, but Mac's coffee, I tried... I really did. I could barely handle a mouthful of it black.

I think I've spoilt myself.










My eyes wandered. I see why some guys do it now. I did it before I realized where I was staring.










Heroes of Might and Magic Online has a new expansion.


I am not impressed.

"Renaissance" (pronounce "ri-nays-uh-ns") means "rebirth".

"Renascence" is either a Marvel character or a poem by an American poetess.

With the phoenix in the background, it's obvious which one it was supposed to be.









Team Fortress 2 is a MMORPG without quests. Looting, inventories, classes. F2P MMORPG.

From this, I've noticed one thing I used to be mistaken about: the F2P model is for games that the publishers believe won't be blockbusters.

The P2P model is for MMORPGs they are sure will sell. When sales drop or are predicted to be low, the F2P model is used.

This is already happening for a number of games for the last several years, like LOTRO and DDO.

Now even TF2 is joining the club.

Therefore, F2P MMORPGs are actually not very good games to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment