Monday 20 December 2010

Rant 684 / Pantsu

Just finished Divinity 2. Conclusion: it's better than Risen and Two Worlds 2 in so many ways. For example, the voice acting doesn't suck as much. Another is how every is wrapped up so nicely compared to the others. Okay, I didn't actually finished Risen to see how it ended but even in the beginning it did not impress me with how the girl, who was shipwrecked together with you, walked with you to the first house you find and helped you along the way, was just thrown aside (figuratively speaking, of course) and left at that house for the rest of the game. It kind of gives me an idea how good the game's ending is going to be.
 
Slightly surprised by the ending and kind of dismayed. Anyway I ended it at lv35 and had spent as many points on Wisdom as I could. The only reason I didn't get even higher was because I didn't complete every quest in the first part before entering the Battle Tower. Not sure if it was worth the points because that's about 23 points IIRC spent on other stuff, excluding points I got from quests, Mindreading and Skill books.

Not to mention how each point spent on that skill may be worth less despite the increase in experience bonus because the number of quests the additional percentage is going to apply on is fewer. That is, unless I grind. After all, there are multiple places where I could have just stood around fighting monsters all day long, eg Keara's Flying Fortress. However, if I had done that, would it be fun?

In fact, by the time I began to work on the flying fortresses (I left them for the last), I was getting bored with the game. The only reason I finished all of them was that I wanted to finish the game and didn't know how to do it. The quest log was surprisingly unhelpful at the point.




===============================================================

Spoiler Alert!

===============================================================




The final battle was relatively exciting since it was actually a little challenging. Almost died a few times because I took a while to get used to having to watch my HP. The Divine was strong but Zandalor was actually the most irritating opponent in that fight. He kept running and healing himself after getting hit a few times and I had to time myself so that I don't spam too many clicks that would make me just stand there swinging my warhammers at nothing while he ran.

I even took my time to kill off the paladins before the two so that I could get as much of the loot as possible. Turned out that I didn't need to because the game ended right after that battle.

Now for the ending. It was a bad ending and a cliffhanger. Like I said, I was surprised and dismayed. Surprised because I thought I was getting the bad one out of multiple possible endings despite being the good guy the majority of the time. Dismayed because I didn't know what I could do to change that. I had completed every single quest in the second part of the game.

So I googled for the answer and eventually learnt that that was the only ending of the game. No matter what I had chosen, Damian would have won.

I guess we will have to play an expansion or a sequel to get an actual end to the story.

Oh well.






===============================================================

End of spoilers.

===============================================================





Now considering the idea of replaying Mass Effect 1 and 2. Or maybe just 2. I've played ME so many times I can almost recite all the dialogues. No, I'm kidding but you get my point.








As for Fallout: New Vegas, I did think about it. The game still very good especially with that exceptionally satisfying final battle. In fact, it's got the best final battle among all the RPGs I've ever played. The best moment was probably the B52's bombing run IMO. And I get a long, challenging fight before being given a choice of fighting a little more or talk my way out of the hardest boss fight in the game. Basically, it's got everything a final battle ever needs.

Still, the rest of the game just isn't that interesting to me yet.






Today the torch has finally got dim enough to be completely useless. Last night it was still bright enough to let me see in the dark and not blind me. Now it isn't anymore. So it took days to almost empty the battery for what I can probably assume to be close to full capacity.

Now that I'm playing with it again, something I noticed raised another question in my head.

Why does it produce a flash of light when I squeeze it hard when it is switched off, yet shows no such reaction when I do the same while it is switched on?

In other words, when I squeeze it while it's off, the squeeze causes the LEDs to glow suddenly. When it is on, the light does not respond.

I can understand that when it is off, the LEDs glow for a while because too much energy was being produced per unit time and the rate of absorption(?) by the battery is much lower than that. The excess energy is then dissipated by the LEDs.

So why doesn't it do the same when the light is on, even when it is so close to dying that it barely helps me see anything in the dark? If the above guess is right, the light should brighten for a moment. So is my understanding of the workings of this torch as described above wrong? Or am I just missing something?







I can type all kinds of shit but nobody will see them till after Christmas.






This blog is actually still up but the domain name has been altered. That's all. Of course everything Google gives you that is supposed to be from this blog all goes to the Sonic Boom Appreciation Week thing because Google takes time to create new caches. Which means Google results for anything related to this blog is going to be fucked for a while since new caches are being created for this new domain name while the old ones for the original domain name are being deleted.

Fortunately, new Google results for the Sonic Boom nonsense won't exist because I've set it to not appear on search engines while making it so that it couldn't be found prematurely. Yes it was already up for some time but on a really random domain name.

If you had any idea how to find my blogger ID you could probably have seen my Blogger profile page and found it, but I know nobody ever looks at the Blogger profiles unless he/she is one heck of a blogger.

Speaking of the Blogger profile page, I just learnt this blog actually has a follower. Saw it when I went to my Dashboard to create the new "blog". I'm quite surprised, really, that there is any at all. Makes me realize that I'm probably not the most bored person in the world even in my most bored moments.

This leads to a possible answer to one question I've had for a while back when I still watched my Stats. Apparently some people had been viewing my latest rants quite quickly after I published them. I was wondering why there was anyone who visit so often that they're almost always there to see my latest bullshit first.

Oh yea, the Views graph totally flatlined. I just checked. It seems I've been getting the same amount of traffic despite not blogging for a couple of days before I changed the blog and now that nobody knows about the new address, absolutely no one has visited.

Which means that I was right when I said that most of the traffic to this blog is for the images that dated back to the old days when I frequented 4chan /b/. Not my proudest of deeds but everyone has done things that they learnt not to do after.

I did and still do visit the Sonic Boom Appreciation Week site a lot for Guile's Theme music. Will probably end after Christmas when I change the view Permission to Authors Only.

Another thing that caught my eyes when I saw the Stats page is that there are views from countries I haven't seen there before. For example, I'm getting views from Malaysia and Taiwan. I don't get a lot of views from Asia and most Asians that visit this blog are from Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines. I have no idea why.

Aruba is the third country that's new in the list. I had no idea where that is and had never heard of it until now. According to Wikipedia, Aruba is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Not part of Netherlands. Almost typed that. I'm guessing that would have been like saying that that Scotland is part of England or that Taiwan is part of China (I know these two examples are quite different).

Speaking of which, the Chinese mainlanders really do believe that Taiwan is part of China and the Taiwanese are wrong. Not neutral about it or anything like that. At least, that's the reaction I observed from the PRC students I met in the past. As for the Taiwanese, they can get quite pissed if anyone mentions in their presence that Taiwan is part of China. Saw some European guy ask about that in a Taiwanese channel where I was watching SC2 GSL. It was something like, "Is Taiwan part of China?" I can describe what I saw in just three words:

- Instant
- Successful
- Troll

One moment everyone was discussing SC2 or trying to get the attention of the few girls there. In the next moment, everyone was trying to clarify to him that Taiwan is "NOT part of China!!!"

If it was deliberate, it would have been that - a great troll. But it was most likely not, so it doesn't actually qualify as a troll. Nevertheless, it shows that it does work as a very good troll topic among certain groups of people.

Oh, and I have absolutely no views from the PRC. Strange, yet not. Not strange because English isn't a commonly used language in China and hence relatively few visit English sites, let alone English blogs. Strange because of the 1.3 billion people there should be enough web-surfing anglophones to have a few accidentally stumble upon this blog.







RT! Just one last session today and an IPPT test on Wednesday!

I've been joining the green tags despite receiving the blue tags every session. Except for one session last week when I decided to join the blue tags thinking, "How bad could it be?"

20 counts of 4 of "chicken backside" is no joke. Really. I swear.

In case you don't know what this exercise it, it's a great way to train your jumping power.

First, stand up, straighten your legs and bend over.

Second, grip your ankles or as low as you can if you can't reach it.

Third, while gripping your ankle (or lower shin), squat down.

Fourth, stand up again while keeping your grip.

1 count of 4 means doing these twice. 1 for squatting down, 2 for standing up, 3 for squatting again, 4 for standing again.

Even 10 counts of 4 can be tiring for an average person.

Another was the bridge, aka plank.

We had to hold this position for 30 seconds... twice. The countdown started only after everyone was in this position, which meant it was longer than 30 seconds.

Basically they did mostly thigh exercises, like I've described before, but the chicken backside was the worst. After all that, the session ended with a jog. Initially the instructor wanted everyone to run 2.4km (3 laps on the road) at their normal IPPT pace, but I think he noticed me and changed it to 20 mins.

I haven't finished a 2.4km run in less than 20mins in years. So I was one of several who only completed 1.6km (2 laps) while the rest finished 2.4km in the same amount of time. I came in last. Fuck.

Never joined the blue tags again.

The green tags get the best training regimen. When I say "best", I mean "easiest". We walk... and walk. Nah, just kidding. That was only for a single session. For some reason, the instructor gave us a choice after the first 20-min walk - more walking or some static exercises. We picked walking. In the end we walked a total of 50mins. Quite boring, yes, but it's still easier than doing 40 counts of 4 of overhead claps.

Overhead claps, again in case you don't know what it is, is an exercise for training your upper arms and probably shoulders. Used to be called "Buddha Clap" but I guess they were told to change that for obvious reasons.

Anyway you just sit down, straighten your arm and clap above your head with your arms still straight. A single count of 4 would be 2 claps. 40 counts would be 80 claps. It's easy, yes, but by the 60th clap it can get quite tiring and hard to keep the arms straight.

Last session on Saturday was quite easy because the instructor didn't really care how fast we walked. We were merely told to walk faster than our normal walking pace.

So mostly I just walked kind of quickly but due to the cold post-rain weather I barely sweated at all. Halfway through the instructor joined in probably out of boredom. His pace was almost a jog, but not quite as fast to require the bounce. Slightly faster than HX's pace.

Since I didn't want to finish the session completely dry, I walked at his pace. After a lap or two, he noticed me and gave me some encouragement for following his speed. Then we just started chatting about exercises.

Told him about how, several years ago after NS, when I tried to jog every morning, I got this ache in my shin after roughly 6 days. Turns out it was most likely an early form of shin splint. According to him, it could be that I was pulling my feet (or toes) too high when they landed and it could have caused too much stress in the shin. My weight could also have been another factor. Having flat feet or high arch could also cause this, but I have neither.

It was strange that he kept talking about flat feet and high arch as if he thought that was what caused the shin splint for me and wasn't convinced when I said my feet are fine. Even recommended shoes designed for such feet. Apparently PTIs in NS are taught these stuff too.

No comments:

Post a Comment