Tuesday 7 December 2010

Rant 676 / Another Buffet Outing?

Learnt about some exploits in Two Worlds II and tried them. Yep they work. One very nifty bug is the Earthquake enchant spell which insta-kills any hostile walking creatures. I threw in a homing missile effect in exchange for a 0.5s casting time and Spell number 6 suddenly turned into an I-WIN button.

Now in Chapter 3 and I'm learning all over again how cheating ruins my gaming experience. So I'm removing the spell and reverting back to my summons. Or maybe I should wait for a patch.

...

Nah.

Btw (DoT+AoE)+Missile = awesome. Just realized that the damage tick of the AoE DoT is much higher than I thought. It's like I'm firing shitty missiles at them every second for 10s now, although I still got to aim a little since this spell doesn't automatically lock on to targets when I'm aiming.






Also tried Lost Planet 2 the other day. Graphics are... incredible. I haven't been playing a lot of high quality games these days, eg Prototype, Crysis and Assassin's Creed 1/2, so I was quite amazed by the graphics in this game.

But I stopped because it was not a good game. The main problem is that absence of anything to hold me to the game, just like Risen. So when a good game like Two Worlds II came along, I lost interest in them immediately.

According to my bro it's much better in multiplayer, so that makes it similar to Borderlands. However Borderlands got really boring quickly despite the hype.







The Singapore Government has confirmed that it is speculators who have been making life miserable for potential homeowners here.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Hwee Hua said the government had to step in with cooling measures to minimise speculation in the HDB market because of a small group of private property owners.

Responding to questions on the issue at a dialogue on Sunday morning, she said they were found to be the reason for rising HDB prices, and measures to contain the group included disallowing HDB owners to also own private property. 

Since I don't normally keep up with the local real estate markets, I can only hope their actions were timely and things aren't getting worse anymore. Obviously even the PAP doesn't want shit to happen right now when the General Elections are coming. 


But as long as there is a chance for profit, this won't stop. For one, it is the norm in some parts of China to invest in real estate when one can afford it almost as if it's part of the local culture, so there will never be a shortage of speculators due to globalisation.








After the dinner at Crystal Jade, I went to the Cold Storage next door to buy some stuff. Parma ham is a must. Other than parma ham, I thought it would be a good idea to get items that also cannot be found in near my home yet won't be so heavy that I would have to take a cab.

So I just got a pint of Haagen Dazs Choco Chips ice cream, two bars of Lindt (one 75% dark, one dark with almonds) and... a bottle of Port wine (Taylor's Fine Tawny).

Yea that was actually the main objective of the trip. I'm curious about dessert wines now. Most alcohols aren't my thing, eg beer, and my late father used to drink only that and Martell XO, the latter being more like a treat that only appears when there is good food.

Since my mum does not touch alcohol at all due to her sensitive liver, I have almost no direct contact with alcoholic beverages. At first I thought most of such drinks don't taste good enough to be worth their prices (tried Tiger beer, German beers, some cocktails), but Martell XO seriously changed my mind.

Hence I'm curious about other alcoholic beverages. After all, cognac is bloody expensive even though we're already getting our bottles solely from friends who are passing through the duty-free stores in the airport. If I have to find other drinks, it is a better idea to check out the cheaper alternatives. Can't just develop a taste for nothing but the expensive stuff. (Martell Cordon Bleu goes for over S$310 at Cold Storage.)

Port is affordable. Not cheap. S$40 isn't cheap. Cheap wines, in my book, goes between S$20-30. This is merely affordable.

But this 75-centilitre corked bottle of tawny here, can only last for weeks after opening. That is a problem. If it sucks, I'm fucked.

Just kidding. I already have the solution. I'm going to open and try it just before the Christmas dinner at ZY's place. Whether it sucks or not, it probably won't be wasted. With so many people there, someone has to like it. If it's good, I'll just get another bottle next time.

Port, being a dessert wine, is sweet, so it seems unlikely that it would not taste good. On the other hand, I don't like risks. So.









Why isn't this debate happening in Japan? While Japanese anime is becoming more sexualized, Japanese hentai is becoming more inclined towards lolicon. So it's strange that a country like Malaysia has such a problem but Japan doesn't, if the logic that you become a paedophile if you watch paedophilic materials is true.

So, is it?

Or is it that those people are already harbouring paedophilic thoughts at the back of their minds but do not think much of it because of the lack of contact with paedophilic materials (if you don't see it, you don't think about it.) and that when they get exposed to such things they realize that's exactly what they like?

Or maybe the Japanese paedophiles just fap so much to loli hentai that they don't need real little girls as much as their Malaysian counterparts.

Who knows? Nobody's going to do a study on this, and if anyone does does, the study itself probably will piss off a lot of people no matter what.






Charities today either have changed or have always been this high class. No wonder we mostly see people donate money to them. I used to think that beggars can't be choosers, but charities obviously aren't beggars, or at least not anymore. Apparently when you donate clothing, they better not have any significant defects. If there are holes, they cannot be visible. If they are, they actually reject them in your face and tell you that you might as well stop donating.

I wonder how they spend the donated money.

Hence I'm not surprised that a Salvation Army donation bin was robbed. Like the thieves themselves implied, they (the poor) have to live with worse without those stolen items.

But stealing is stealing. The law isn't about justice but is really about peace and order. Justice comes from the people who decide whether to report the crime or not. Once it goes to the police, only the officers themselves can decide whether to put it in paper, which would be the last stage where actual justice can be found. After that, everything is about making examples and maintaining the peace.

So yes, they should be apprehended by the police. I wouldn't have cared if they just took a few things (and neither would have anyone else) but whole bags of clothes... and for sale? Now that's too far. Stealing from the poor is bad in itself but trying to profit from it is much worse, perhaps only slightly better than selling their own mothers.







I've always thought it was a little wasteful to throw the styrofoam trays that MacDonald's uses for its Big Breakfast. Can't think of any ways to reuse them though, except for the yellow covers which I'm currently using as a coaster. The four bumps are not much of a problem since I only have one flat-bottomed beverage container.

Still looking for ways to reuse those trays, other than using them as trays again. I have plenty of disposable food containers already.








So I applied for a recontract with Starhub, and picked the Nokia phone and a change of plan (PowerChat 100 to PowerValue 100 because it's practically an upgrade to a cheaper plan) for free in the process.

Now my brother's the one getting the calls "regarding your change of mobile plan".

I'm the one getting the change of plan! They'd better not change my bro's SmartSurf plan to the PowerValue 100 plan or both him and my mum will kill me.


So I called 1633 just now and the guy on the phone said he was going to talk to the relevant department to find out the details. What he could tell me immediately was that the transaction was not successful.


First, I confirmed the transaction and got the "transaction successful" screen telling me I'll be getting the calls regarding the rest of the details. Second, I am currently looking at an email from Starhub on a separate tab saying the same thing.

HOW CAN IT NOT BE SUCCESSFUL?!?

So I tried to retrace my virtual steps and found something I didn't notice before.

When they gave me a list of the phone numbers to choose from (all phone numbers in my family are under one account), I didn't think much of it when all of them were my phone numbers. But now that I've looked harder I noticed that the 1.1XXXXXXXX number (customer number? account number?) next to each of the phone numbers were different.

Therefore most likely I was given a faulty menu and had unintentionally picked my bro's number disguised as my number.

Yes I blame them for using shitty codes that displayed all numbers as my phone number.

Waiting for that guy to call back now.

...

So it's confirmed that the transaction was not successful despite all the above. I have no idea why it's that screwed up. The suspected cause of this, according to him, is that we have not paid the phone bills for this month and accounts with an outstanding balance can't apply for recontract. This does not make sense at all because my bro's getting the calls saying he's getting a recontract.

What is wrong with their system???

Still, the customer service guy is going to dig further with the order number I got from the email and told me to expect the next call in an hour.

...

It's been 4 hours. Still no call.










Nestea lost. Fruit Dealer lost. The real Boxer lost. All the previous champs are losing. There are several possible reasons for this:

- people have been studying their games really hard.
- they actually aren't that good and the really good players are starting to join as the GSL goes on.
- they aren't changing their play styles enough to adapt to the later patches.

Whatever the case was, it was sad that Fruit Dealer lost again. He tried, especially in that last game, but HongUn's impressive tower defence tactic involving a major spam of Pylons was just too good. That was, what, a 6pool rush? And it still got defeated by HongUn who was going for a fast expansion and then a Void Ray rush. Who would have expected that?

When I saw HongUn's base and that Void Ray, I totally expected the game to end there with the Fruit Dealer's victory. How the heck can Void Rays alone defend against Zerglings?

Apparently, Protoss players with spare resources can.


It was totally understandable when Fruit Dealer cried (I think I saw red eyes at the end). This Pylon spam tactic is just so unorthodox and... gay, not to mention that it costed him a chance at another 100 million Korean wons.

I bet he must be really hating Pylons now.



And then there was Nestea's defeat to Rain's all-in rushes. That was probably Nestea's main weakness and Rain had noticed that from watching his games. I'm just surprised Nestea can lose to the same strategy thrice. Obviously he wasn't shy at all after getting bitten once or even twice. After the second defeat to that all-in rush, Nestea totally deserved the loss in the final game.



MarineKing and Jinro playing today. I'm not sure if MarineKing is going win because his consistent marine usage is predictable. If MC finds some crazy way to counter marines the way HongUn countered Fruit Dealer's rush, he's screwed.

As for Jinro, I'm seriously hoping that he wins the match. The further he advances, the more interesting GSL gets.






So the Prosperous Kitchen at West Coast Plaza (formerly known as Ginza Plaza) offers Dim Sum Buffet at S$13.80 per person from 11am to 5pm. Doesn't mention that it's only on weekdays, so it's probably offered on all days.

Also offers a dinner buffet at $16.80 per person ($22.80 with crab dishes) but only for non-holiday weekdays.

Both actually look pretty damn good. The menu for the dinner buffet has quite a selection but I've not tried it before. $22.80 per person for free flow chili crab, black pepper crab, steamed crab in wine and fried crab in broth sounds too good to be true. It may be exactly that, since the poster for the prices has this extra line that says that "Dishes applied to one serving per table with a minimum of two A La Carte Buffet Dinner orders" which I really don't understand especially when the star * appears nowhere else.

For all I know, it could be that there was supposed to be a star after the "crab orders" and it could mean that crabs are limited to one serving per table or something like that.

If I help them translate whatever they were trying to say into something more comprehensible, would they let me eat for free?



As for the dim sum, it's good. They even have 鹹水角 which is pretty rare in Singapore. I'm surprised it's offered as a buffet for less than $20. I believe the prices are so low only because the location is terrible. My mum used to have a shop there for a while and the only reason she stayed at all was because of the contract. I'm not sure if this restaurant will stay for many years. Then again, it's already been there for like three.

Hmm... How are they staying profitable with such low prices in that location? Are they using slaves in there and burning dung to cook?

Anyway, we should try to save it. *hint hint wink wink*

Oh wait... If the BC goes, it'll probably just worsen their financial situation, crabs or no crabs.








Finally received the set of sweepstakes-related stuff from Reader's Digest. It's quite impressive how they're trying to make me spend money. Other than how they phrased their letters like using my full name to attract my attention and how sincere they sound, they even printed cash-like vouchers on glossy magazine paper that feels similar to real plastic cash which I would need to find and insert into the reply envelope.

Upon reading further, I realized I needed to spend S$10 to buy one of their 4-in-1 books (usual price $56) to qualify for all the other additional bonuses that I would get if I win.

And I'm even given 6 entries for the sweepstakes. Wow! Like I'm the only one getting six.

If I'm not going to spend that money, it tells me that I should call this number that they gave and to quote a number they printed in the letters in order to participate in just the sweepstakes.

Except the problem lies in this sentence:


"Calls made from mobile phones may be charged at a higher rate."

Riiiiiiight. Even if they didn't charge extra, I bet if I call the number they'll not only record my number for their own marketing purposes in the future, but I'll get to hear lots of sales talk from whoever picks up the phone.

I respect their need to advertise and I kind of like to read their falsely sincere letters. Furthermore, I've already tried to tell them to stop without success, so I'll just let them continue to send me papers that I'm using to cover my keyboard when I eat.

Wonder what I can do with these 3 small sheets of glossy paper.







Recently found this series of picture starring Woody from the Toy Story series. Not posting the final pic because it was too crude and not funny enough to offset that. Also, original source unknown.







I see why Woody was Andy's favourite toy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment