Saturday 4 December 2010

Rant 674 / 重食輕友

Two Worlds 2. Ended Chapter 1. Now in Chapter 2. Just when I found the game easy, the game slams the hard truth in my face - everything in the new area is as tough as things were back when I could only summon 1 creature.

Worse, I've already maxed out several of the more important abilities like mana regen, health regen and physical damage resistance. The levels for Necromancy and Fire magic has also been raised to an unnecessarily high level so that I can cast very powerful spells, but I just don't have the mana to spam them.

The main problem I have is mana. I have over 100 points on that magic-related stat (Int?) and yet the more powerful spells can cost over half my mana per shot - and I'm not even talking about the strongest spells I can make at level 7 Necromancy and Fire magic.

Strong summons are possible too but I don't have the mana to spam enough of them. As I've said before, having only 1-2 creatures just doesn't hold the enemies' attention. So I can only create cheap, easily replaceable summons that would take forever to kill even a decrepit quadriplegic rat.

What can I do to increase my mana??

Got to google this.

Hmm... seems the unanimous opinion of players in multiple forums is that the mage is broken in that it sucks when played as a pure mage.

Also learnt that if I put another Effect card below a Missile card, the Effect would happen on the target instead of myself. I've always thought that it would happen on myself.


This allows players to spam multiple instances of a spell simultaneously. For example, on the first level we have a crappy Missile spell with SPRAY modifier(s). Next level has a summon spell. When used, each spot that the multiple missiles land on will spawn a summon. 3 missiles, 3 summons. 8 missiles, 8 summons. With one shot.

Same can be done with Enchant cards on the second level. The Enchant effect will hit all creatures that were hit by the missiles.

More fun, but still not enough to offset the high mana costs and slow mana regen rate. Takes a long time to recover between each battle without using potions.









I might have been wrong when I mentioned how a fake Blizzard email can be identified through the Message Source. Today I found an email from


I'm pretty sure it's a phishing email since it asked me to go to some really long web address with all the right-sounding words but in the wrong combination.

Even if it's real, losing the account isn't a big deal anyway.







MarineKing kind of disproved his own name today. His Marines weren't that impressive but he won the third match only because they outnumbered Leenock's Zerg forces. He performed the worst in the second game when Leenock used Banelings and Mutalisks against him. I had expected him to skillfully dodge all the Banelings but his Marines were constantly blasted to death by the green blobs.

Third game appeared close but actually wasn't. It looked close only because of that fantastic Infestor control displayed by Leenock in the middle of the game when they stopped 3 Medivacs filled with Marines and allowed the Zerglings to rape everything.

Despite all the excitement from that battle, Leenock was nowhere close to attacking MarineKing's main throughout the game, so in fact it was a good win by MarineKing.



Jinro's match was pretty good too. In the first game, Jinro's placement of the early rax was soooooo close to being spotted yet it was not seen by the SCV and Marine that ran past it. When his rush failed to due the premature death of the SCV meant to build the bunker, he used to rax to scout PoltPrime's base and found the Starport and vf, then Polt's second base. Nothing wasted at all.

Second match was played beautifully by Jinro. Even if he doesn't win this season, I think his style is just amazing compared to the other players. It's as if he could read the minds of his opponents.

The other interesting fact is that he's the first white guy to enter the Ro8 in the SC2 GSL. Many of us non-Koreans are excited to see him play because if he gets into the finals, it's going to be huge. For one, they won't be interviewing his mum. XD



Wow! Who would have thought MvP could lose without winning a single game? He's supposed to be the favourite in this match since the other guy is an unknown. I guess it is true that the established players should fear the newer and unknown players.

So now things are quite even among the 3 races. In the Ro8 we have 3 Terrans, 3 Protosses and 2 Zergs.







The next HoN patch is going to be HoN 2.0!!!

Changes include Casual mode for short games, description copied from linked page:

This mode developed just to attract more casual players towards HoN who don’t like playing long competitive games and they just want to have fun. In this mode you’ll gain more experience, won’t lose any gold if your hero dies and you will get full experience on denied creeps except the gold.

Team matchmaking sounds good for guys who play with their friends and hence avoid using auto-balance in their games.

The new update offers both solo matchmaking as well as team-based matchmaking. When performing matching in 2.0, the server aims to not only match the overall performance of the teams, but also the relative performance of the players within a single team.


and there's going to be a map editor to create new maps with.

Release date is 12th Dec, coming Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment