Sunday 21 June 2009

Rant 376 / Too Large

I was copying stuff from my old external hard disk to the new when I met yet another problem: "The file "^&(*&%*(*" is too large for the destination file system."

I was like "Wtf I have 800+Gb remaining!"

But after a few more tries having the same response, I had to google for an answer. It turns out my 1TB hard drive was in FAT32 format. Now I've heard of this name before but I've never found out what this and NTFS mean. What I learnt from the googling is that FAT32 has a limit of 4Gb on its files.

So all the files large than 4Gb cannot be copied to a FAT32 hard drive.

Then came the next headache: I'd have to format the hard disk to change it.

NOOOOOOO! I've copied 100Gb of stuff over and deleted some of the successfully copied files from the old hard disk! It would be a long while before I can finish acquiring them all again.

I had to find another way! Scanning through all the various pages relevant to this problem, I eventually found this article in a blog. It shows me how a single command in the Command Prompt (Run as Admin before typing) can convert my external hard disk into NTFS without deleting anything!

Thank you Internet! Thanks Scott!

For the lazy, the command is

convert h: /fs:ntfs /nosecurity

where H: is the external drive. Evidence that it works displayed below.


Even after so many years of DOS-less Windows, the Command Prompt is still irreplaceable as a tool for computers. (I don't know about Macs.)

But after half an hour of copying, the status window showing how much time is needed suddenly disappeared. I decided to turn it off to let it rest, but I was unable to "safely remove" it. So I googled and found a blog advising readers to go to Properties and under the Security tab, deny access to everyone but the owner.

I thought this desktop would be the owner, but when I closed the Properties window, I was unable to access the hard disk. So I thought that since I could finally switch it off I'll do so and return after supper to fix it.

But when I switched it on again after an hour, it still didn't allow access. It was bloody scary. I thought I was going to have to format the disk to regain access, but fortunately, the Security tab was not inaccessible, so I just allowed access to "Everyone" again and solved the problem. What a relief!







It is strange how the US is supposed to be suffering from economic woes and still make so much news about space travel. First we have the new Orion replacing the current shuttle. Next they're having probes to survey the lunar terrain. Finally, Richard Branson is making the spaceport a reality in New Mexico.

Aren't they supposed to be broke?


US To Trade Gold Reserves For Cash Through Cash4Gold.com

Yup they're broke. The world is now flat.










All those times when my laptop crashed while I was playing Empires, it was because of my antivirus and not RAM/graphics card/whatever. There's this thing called "paged pool memory" and it seems that security and antivirus programmes use a lot of it. When my games need more of it and my NOD32 refuses to share, the games crash.

Found this out because my game just crashed while I was playing. So I googled and eventually found this page. And on another forum some guy explained the page pool memory to the others:

The paged pool is a certain marked section of RAM which can be paged, or moved to virtual memory if necessary. The nonpaged pool, on the other hand, must remain in RAM and cannot be moved to VM. Virtual Memory is basically just hard drive space allocated to emulate RAM. VM accesses are a LOT slower than RAM accesses, so paging is not a desirable thing to do unless necessary. The size of the paged pool is allocated by the kernel at startup of Windows. As far as I can tell, it is determined by looking at the size of physical memory, and virtual memory (which is probably determined by hard drive size).

I'm going to try to increase my paged pool memory from around 250Mb to 400Mb. Hope I'm not making things worse.









Apparently I have an anonymous secret admirer. Somewhere last night someone messaged my handphone with "我爱你", (English translation : I love you). I saw it this morning and was amused by the amount of fail in this SMS. I guess today began with a good (and funny) start.

Obviously it's a message meant for someone else. This means this person must have taken some effort to muster his courage before sending it - and then he sent to the wrong number. It has to be because the other possible scenario is that someone sent this to his girlfriend, in which case he would have sent it to a pre-recorded number that would prevent him from sending it to me.

Two possibilities here. One, he doesn't realise this and is still waiting for a response from... yours truly. (I'm laughing as I type this because I can do that). Or two, he realised this and felt really embarrassed.

This is so useful! I can now trick my mum into believing that I have a girlfriend. LOL! All this lie needs from me after that is for me to go out more often on "dates". Oh wait... too much trouble. Fuck that.

Anyway I have no idea who sent it to me, so I replied with the following:

"Generally speaking, you aren't supposed to send 我爱你 to random phone numbers. Try to use the right number next time. =)"

I'm serious. I just sent the above exact same words. XD











My mouse cursor loves to teleport to a random corner. I've been getting this problem after I installed this corded Logitech Internet Pro Desktop keyboard and mouse set. What I got from my googling is that I need to install the latest driver or use it on a different surface.

Firstly, I cannot install the driver. It is incompatible with my O/S and this product can't be found in Logitech's website for reasons that escape me. Hence it has automatically used some sort of default driver and is able to provide basic functions. The other buttons like Volume +/-, Email and Mute are currently useless without Logitech's driver. I don't mind really, because I don't need them.

Secondly, I've been using my laptop's mouse on the exact same surface for 2 years without this problem. Therefore, it is unlikely that the surface is messing with my new mouse.

So I contacted Logitech's tech support. The guy's first reply was under the assumption that I was using the wireless version, making most of the advice he gave useless. However, one thing that I'm trying now that he mentioned was to plug the mouse in without any adapter, KVM switch and USB hub.

Well I don't know what a KVM switch is, but the mouse does have an extra converter thing at the other end. The mouse cord has a USB plug, but it comes connected to this special device that changes the end to the old mouse plug (the circular one with the tiny pins inside). I'm guessing that this is the KVM switch so I unplugged this and stuck the mouse into a USB port.

Anyway, this should be useful for anyone using an optical mouse:

The surface on which you use the mouse plays an important role in its tracking. The optical sensor must use the pattern on the surface to track the position of the cursor. Therefore, using the mouse on a glass or otherwise see-through surface will inhibit the ability of the sensor to track the cursor. Also, if you are using the mouse on a reflective surface, such as a mirror or shiny metal desk, you may experience tracking problems. In both these situations, try using the mouse on a mouse pad or piece of paper. By using the mouse on a white sheet of paper, you can also conserve battery life. Other surfaces that have been known to cause tracking problems are:
  • Some wood grains
  • Grooved surfaces

This is directly copied from the troubleshooting section of Logitech's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment