Monday 8 June 2009

Rant 368 / If You're A Pig, You're In Danger.

What a coincidence! Just a couple of days after that little talk about homosexuality with a cabbie, a news report on Reuters.com says that legalised gay marriage is expected to help with the aging population of New England, USA, by encouraging young and creative people to move there.

This is so gay!







I find it absurd that anyone could suspect me of being gay. The first person to ever do that was my mum. I don't know why, but my guess would be that I had no girlfriend and I've never spoke to her about girls, among many other things.

But I completely destroyed all those thoughts in her mind one night by accident. Basically, she caught me masturbating. To drawn pictures of naked girls with humongous tits, no less. That was a long time ago, but she never doubted my sexual identity ever since she took a peek at my screen that fateful night. In a way, it was a good thing. I'm surprised I could actually type that last sentence though.

After that it was that cab driver mentioned 2 rants ago. The hilarity! You don't need to be gay to not hate gays, but I can see now that a lot of people don't see things that way. Homosexuality is natural, but it's also a self-destructing trait. There have been too many recorded sightings of homosexual behaviour in various animals to deny that it is natural, but it is also logical to say that mankind will not turn gay if we do nothing about it.

I'm no expert in this, but neither do I care if people are straight or gay. So what if the leader of a country is a lesbian? If she can perform in her occupation just like anyone else, I really have no qualms with who she brings to her bed at night. Seriously, why would you care who other people fuck anyway, as long as they're not underaged?? There are worse sexual issues out there, if homosexuality is considered bad at all. Like pedophilia and certain other fetishes.









Playing the Neverwinter Nights 2 main campaign with the Mask of the Betrayer installed is a bad experience. I did not patch after installing the expansion, and the game turned out to be more trouble than fun.

I'm currently stuck at the Ironfist Stronghold, letting Khelgar face Torim's Challenge. It keeps crashing before it could begin. This is the FOURTH bug that I've encountered in the campaign and by far the worst.

The last 3 required that I use console to activate certain plot triggers or I would have been stuck at the quests despite having met all conditions. This time, it crashes every time Khelgar runs out of the room after the argument preceding the lifting of the hammer.

Without Google, the game would have been virtually unplayable. Strangely enough, it was totally fine back when I played the game without MotB installed. Bloody expansion made more bugs in the whole game than it fixed.

Now I'm forced to patch the game and it's taking forever.

....

After a very long time, it's finally done. But it still doesn't solve the problem. It turns out there is a strange unpatchable bug in that part of the game. The only solution (thank goodness it even exists) is to remove all items from Khelgar's inventory except the ironfist gauntlets and belt. I've confirmed that this works.

But now yet ANOTHER bug surfaces. At the Merchant Quarter of Neverwinter, I'm trying to recruit the Light of Heaven by going through her trials. Problem is, when I "accept the challenge", I'm switched to solo mode, she bows and then acts as if I've beaten her. Now I'm stuck in solo mode and I cannot fight her nor get my party back.

Good thing I saved because apparently that is the only way to save myself from this situation. Apparently that strange invisible character Sand killed while I was getting the party to buff me in preparation for the trial is not supposed to be detected. The Player Hater is a script dummy that exists to make the Light of Heaven attack me. By killing it I have made a pacifist out of the warrior.

The solution is to order everyone to stand their ground.

Fucking bug. This game is becoming quite irritating to play after installing MotB.








3D PCs!!! Although it's not something I would buy right now, I'm hoping it will turn mainstream someday. Playing FPS in 3D would be... GLORIOUS!





The Pirate Party, a political party in Sweden, has just gained a toehold in the European Parliament by winning a seat. That a group whose goals are basically aimed towards legalising filesharing in more ways than we have now can even get into the parliament is actually quite amazing. Such a party doesn't even exist in most other countries, if at all!

The party won by gaining 7.1% of Swedish votes, which means they have significant support even when seen in contrast to the EU as a whole. The downside is that there are 785 seats in total, so their seat doesn't even make half a percent. It's a good start though.






Not all Empires servers are able to handle 64 players even though they allow that many. I just played in a server that can't do that. When I joined, there were 40+ players. The lag was horrible for everyone. Personally, it was so choppy that I couldn't aim properly.

So I played as a Grenadier, showering enemies with random mortars. Well, not really random. I've always been crappy at mortars, so it was a good opportunity to practise. Mortars are hard to use because they don't fly straight. They have a curved trajectory that must be estimated. In simpler terms, they're basically mini-artilleries.

Guns always shoot straight in the game (even sniper rifles even though they don't after exceeding a certain range), so all I need to do is point it at the enemies and click. But to use a mortar, I have to aim it at an angle above the target so that gravity will pull it down to the right spot. The best players can use it like a gun - 1 shot 1 kill, even at close range.

Mortars, when properly used, are better than guns. They can kill enemies hiding behind cover and damage tanks/structures in addition to killing the guys ahead of you. However, it takes a lot of skill to kill enemies effectively, something I lack. So I just crouched near an ammo box and spammed, basically trying to rain death upon the enemies. Mostly without success. Oh well, at least the lag prevented enemies from killing me too.







This is insane! This rant is becoming more gay by the paragraph! This week in Shanghai they're having a week-long gay pride festival, the first in China. The Shanghai Pride is unlike gay pride festivals in other countries where they have gay pride parades. In Shanghai, there will only be events like a 24/7 party and fundraising for an AIDS-related charity.

I didn't know China's that liberal about this. Btw note the colours because this is the LGBT rainbow used in many official homosexual organizations' logos.











I was surprised when one of my EID group members actually liked the photos I took during the exhibition, where we displayed our product for all to see. They were mostly random shots and I uploaded the better ones on Facebook instead of emailing them because

1) the emails have a 10mb file limit and I have 20omb of photos
2) I didn't think they would like it.

I was expecting the same reaction from them as those I got from past experiences.

In general, girls hate my candid shots. They all seem to have some sort of compulsion to pose in front of any camera aimed their way and detest pictures taken when they're not posing. In fact, the photos I take during my Toastmasters meetings have to be censored by the girls before I take them home. They just delete photos they consider ugly without informing me, which pisses me off at times because some of them are so preciously hilarious. Try catching someone in the middle of a random action, like a sneeze, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

For guys, some are the same as the ladies except they don't censor my pics, some find them funny and the rest display no reaction whatsoever to the photos I take.

Liking them without saying they're funny is a new reaction I've not encountered until now.








Here's a new hope for 3D technology. Now I'm wondering if they can combine 3D screens with the technology from Wii. Wii seems to be able to track your motions and if you throw in 3D monitors and stuff, you should get holographic keypads and etc, right?? Maybe they can make a glove full of sensors or whatever it is they have in the Wii controllers.

It would be so freaking fantastic! Fuck wireless keyboards and mouse! With holographic mice and keyboards I would only need desk space for a monitor. If I don't just hang in on a wall, that is.

If you have a decent amount of knowledge of electronics you may want to look into this.









This is a real eye-opener. According to this report, a lot of Somalis actually want the civil war to go on. Most of these people are arms dealers, but the others include the grave diggers, garment sellers (to roll the dead bodies in) and bankers. I'm pretty sure there are other groups they didn't mention, like bodyguards (each of the 400 arms dealer in Somali's main arms market has 4 bodyguards) and unlicensed doctors and mercenaries.









Will digital downloads kill video games stores?

This is similar to asking," Would you legally download a game or go to a store to buy it?"

I would download it, just so that I can save on transport fares and water bill (I have a compulsive urge to take a shower every time I return home from anywhere). Downloading a game legally doesn't take much time, judging from my experience with Half Life 2. Actually I don't know how long it took because I started downloading just before I went to bed and left it to work overnight.

And I'm lazy. As I have mentioned before, I don't go out to buy stuff unless I have at least 2 reasons to justify the trip. Buying a game would only be a single reason.

Plus you get a permanent warranty when you buy a game online. If a store-bought copy of a game gets damaged, you would have to go through customer service and have the receipt ready. If the disc was damaged accidentally by you, you cannot get a new copy for free unless you have some cool tricks up your sleeves.

But when I bought HL2 from STEAM, I realized that as long I have my CD-key, I can download it anytime I want without explaining why I need another copy. 10 years from now, if STEAM is still selling the game and I suddenly feel like playing retro-games, I can still download the game again. The same thing can't be said with a store-bought copy unless the CD is still working.

This means games stores are going to die in countries with good broadband access. They will still be needed in the more rural areas of the world where people have to go to town to get cable internet.










The swine flu is now a pandemic. However, there is little reason to panic; WHO classified it as a pandemic because it is spreading too quickly, not because many people are dying from it. Compared to the usual flu that we get, it is actually less lethal. This means you're more likely to die from the common flu than this swine flu.

The problem is, it's showing us how contagious news strains of the flu can be. If it mutates further and kills its victims faster, then we need to panic. But at the rate it is spreading, mutations are increasingly more likely to occur. Plus another strain of flu virus has already gained resistance against Tamiflu, a common flu medicine.

With your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!

Yea, you get my point. I know you do. It feels just like a flash game I once played. The player controlled a contagious disease and the goal was to wipe out mankind. The more kills, the more points you get, and with these points the player could buy traits like "cold resistance" (for temperate zones) and "haemorrhage" which kills faster but becomes more visible.

One strategy was to buy all the traits that increase its contagiousness but not its visibility. I tried it, but countries panicked when my disease spread too quickly despite being quite harmless. Hence suddenly all sea and airports around the world began to shut down and I could spread no further.

See the similarities?

The best thing one can do after contracting a flu immune to the standard flu drugs is to seek better medical attention, rest more and/or see a shaman. Or a bomoh, as they're known in SE Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment