Wednesday 17 June 2009

Rant 373 / 浓浓的电脑味

What is impossible? Impossible is a symptom of a narrow mind. The more one thinks is impossible, the narrower the mind. Undeniably, life is much simpler when the mind is narrow - when you give yourself fewer choices in life, complexity can only be reduced. But to hold something as impossible is merely to deny that it can be true; it does not imply in any way that it really is false.

Hence, what is impossible?

Hence, what does it mean to "know", if not to believe with much confidence and faith?

Water is going to be an expensive commodity in the future. In a time not too far in human history, such an idea could only appear in fiction, along with other similarly impossible ideas such as human flight. Water falls from the sky! How expensive can it get? Ridiculous!

70% of the water we use is for agriculture, 20% for industrial purposes, leaving the rest of us 10% to drink, wash stuff and rinse your pee away from your hands. For all the water you use at home, you are really using 10 times as much. Your water bills are peanuts compared to the whole world's.

What do humans really need to survive? The big threes come to mind - 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water or 3 weeks without food will lead to death. In addition, less water means less food.

Already, beverage companies are trying to find out more information about their water usage and supplies. SabMiller found through its research that the growing of barley and etc requires 34 times more water than they use to make the beer from these ingredients.

Such studies are necessary because those who don't do anything about it gets severely punished. Coca-Cola was forced to close its plant in Kerala, India, after a drought because it was accused to using up too much of the remaining water. Even now, there are groups that try to stop Coke from being sold in Indian villages.

Water is precious, now more than ever. Therefore, not bathing for long periods of time is now an environmentally-friendly and economic decision.









Found this video on how to build a D.I.Y. desktop while looking through Hardwarezone.







Basically Vijay, the editor of Hardwarezone, built a computer in front of the camera while giving a verbal step-by-step guide for the whole process. It actually doesn't seem very hard, but looks can be deceptive.

Thermal pastes aren't expensive, so it can be cheaper to build the desktop even if you have to buy a new tube of paste that you won't be using for the next two years.

I'm actually tempted to build it myself now, but the risks aren't worth the price difference.









It's now 10pm on the 18th of June 2009, also a Thursday. I've just finished most of the setting up of my new desktop and have nothing to do while updating stuff. Lots of things need updates these days and the cumulative waiting time for all the programmes for all their updates is really annoying.

The title of this rant refers to what my nose detected as I first turned on my computer. It is the electronic smell of new computers which will fade eventually, and my whole room is filled with it.

Fixing the cables, making them go through that hole in my desk made specially for such occasions and installing all my utility programmes took a few hours. The first to be installed, of course, was the anti-virus. You can't be too careful when it comes to computers.

Then came a slew of other stuff like utorrent, Gigaget, Winrar and TuneUp Utilities. Now it's Daemon Tools and I'll start doing other stuff like transferring data from my laptop. And I'm downloading Half Life 2 here too. It's going to take a long while, what with the Windows updates and etc.

In the meantime, I'm queuing up Empires, Half Life 1 and Natural Selection for download.

And it makes sense that it would crash. My router just went on strike. I had to go out and let it rest for a minute before turning it on again. Now I've set a speed limit for my Gigaget to 200kb/s. It was going at around 600kb/s together with Windows Update and Half Life 2 downloading in Steam. And me surfing the net, searching for more things to download.

Aw, Windows Update is prompting me to restart the computer. I'll let it remain there just so that it won't force a restart in 10s.

Time for bed. Carrying the whole desktop set is hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment