Wednesday 25 March 2009

Rant 332 / Al Gore Invented The Internet And Opened Pandora's Box

Here's an article about a recent NASA report on the possible effects of a really bad solar storms.

Basically, solar storms can be strong enough to overheat transformers around the world, by inducing currents in wires when the ejected plasma interacts with the Earth's magnetic field. When such a thing happens, transformers will melt and our power grids will be ruined.

Most urgent disasters will occur in hospitals, where backup generators will only last mere days even when stretched to the max. All medical services will cease very quickly because most advanced medical equipments need electricity. Obviously, the ICUs will turn into morgues.

Water will no longer be pumped. Fuel stations cannot pump fuels. Power plants can still work, but since fuel is limited and the power grid is ruined, they might as well stop working too.

Food will be hard to transport when they can't get the fuel. Water treatment plants will stop working, preventing sewage from flowing. No more basic necessities.

Transformers cannot be repaired, only replaced. I don't know how a transformer is manufactured, but I'm very sure the long process requires lots of electricity. Without it, it is probably still possible but much slower.









Wal-Mart is about to get sued in the largest lawsuit ever and create history. Over 2 million women are ready to get their lawyers to litigate the heck out of the largest retailer in the world.

The story is that every single woman who's ever worked for it since '98 is suing it in one gigantic lawsuit for sexual discrimination. At first it began with just 6 women but somehow they managed to recruit 2 million others who're probably in it only for the money.

Right now the courts are discussing whether they should allow the lawsuit at all. Lawyers from Wal-Mart argue that the class-action lawsuit should not be because the cases are not similar enough.

Class-action lawsuits are basically a combo of several similar suits, and work better against large companies. Strength in unity, I guess.

Meanwhile, the lawsuit argues that women were getting lower pay and fewer promotions than male workers in the company. They haven't settled on an amount of money they want yet, but with over 2 million women, they're probably going to ask for 10-digit figures in total.

Wal-Mart must be desperate, especially in the present economy. The women are probably very interested in winning too, especially in the present economy.






I just discovered exactly how far my video camera can see. A few days ago as I was suffering through my lab project report (half an AU that requires 2 nights of mulling, typing and calculations and 5 days of experimentation and discussions.. freaking hell!), I heard someone shouting Hokkien vulgarities at the top of his lungs.

GANG FIGHT!

Or so I thought. I hear these things once in a while since there are quite a few coffeeshops in my neighbourhood where idle men often gather. I've never ever concerned myself with such things that don't have anything to do with me.

But I was bored out of my mind (I hate triple interpolations using the freaking superheated steam tables!!) and I saw my video camera behind my laptop (I was playing around with it some days before), so I quickly grabbed it, turned it on and went to my window.

Then I turned around to switch off my light. It wouldn't be good if anyone looked up and saw me holding an object and staring at them.

In the dark, I aimed my camera at them and had to zoom in and out a few times before it focused perfectly on the 2 men in question. It was much clearer than I expected! In fact I could make out their faces even though I was standing over 20-stories above them.

I began recording in High Quality mode as they continued to argue. There were 4 people - a middle-aged Chinese couple on one side and 2 other men probably in their 30s on the other side of a round table. One of the two men was standing in an agressive stance, head leaning forward with one arm pointing at the object of his fury. The other man was holding him back trying to prevent a fight in front of everyone.

The couple were much more relaxed, sitting down in fact. I noticed that one of them had already broken something on the table, deduced from the pool of liquid on it. I waited for a few more seconds but nothing happened. The man continued his angry rant while his friend gripped his shoulders.

So I looked at the tables around them. They were all empty. Makes sense. You wouldn't want to get a bloody shirt (dried blood is hard to wash off!) just because you had your dinner at the wrong place.

Waited some more. Nothing happened. What a disappointment. Eventually they all sat together and chat. The waiters saw that things had calm down and arrived to clean up the mess. Soon the tables around them were occupied again.

And I was hoping for some real action and be able to record a real homicide! In High Quality too! Oh well...






Averatec-Intel Classic Season 3 is about to begin on the 29th of March. Since it's only starting on that day, there will be many matches between obscure players. There probably won't be much to look out for except Boxer because he always plays in very interesting and exciting ways.

Anyway, LOOK AT THIS! This is a recording of the Starcraft lecture series from UC Berkeley. In case you don't know what UC Berkeley is, it's an university. :P

1.5 hours long and this is only the first of two lectures. That guy made Starcraft feel dry.

Course Description

This course will go in-depth in the theory of how war is conducted within the confines of the game Starcraft. There will be lecture on various aspects of the game, from the viewpoint of pure theory to the more computational aspects of how exactly battles are conducted. Calculus and Differential Equations are highly recommended for full understanding of the course.

Furthermore, the class will take the theoretical into the practical world by analyzing games and replays to reinforce decision-making skills and advanced Starcraft theory.

As a prerequisite, students should be familiar with all units and some basic StarCraft strategy.

Additional lectures will be added throughout the Spring of 2009 as they are made available.







A pilot is sentenced to jail for praying just before crashing his place instead of employing crash procedures. 10 years in jail, just like his copilot, for killing 16 people. So guys, if shit suddenly happens, do something more useful than just praying!







Been trying out a Warlock in Neverwinter Nights 2 recently. Never knew Warlocks are so imba. I thought only Wizards in NWN2 are the "I WIN" buttons. Even though I cannot learn many spells playing as a Warlock (level 6 Warlock with only 4 spells, 3 of which are first level spells), the fact that I can keep spamming my spells mean that I don't need many attack spells.

In fact, out of the 4 spells I have, only 1 is for attacks. The other 3 buffs me like crazy (one raises my luck proportional to my Charisma bonus, which is pretty high). Right now at level 6, my buffed Diplomacy level is at 20, Bluff is at 16, Intimidate at 8. Being a Warlock means if I want to be a good guy, I can only be Chaotic Good. It is incredibly fun to Bluff and Intimidate people and it keeps me in the Chaotic region. I do have some problems being good because sometimes it is hard to differentiate between Evil and Chaotic. There were several times when I thought I was making a Chaotic decision and ended up gaining Evil points instead.

Anyway having only 1 attack spell is pretty cool. When I can choose a higher level spell, I get a high level attack spell, then switch my previous lower level attack spell with a buff that I've wanted but couldn't get due to the limit. And battles are so simple. Right click on target, spam spells. Of course, turn on Defensive Casting whenever possible.








Played a very interesting round of DotA. The host went surprise -ar on us. I got the Syllabear and didn't know what to do with it. I vaguely remembered that other players seem to summon their bears right from the start, so I focused on my bear summon skill.

Also bought stuff that raised stats at the beginning. Buffing stats can never go wrong. Of course I sucked. My bear was kinda useless because it kept getting hurt and doesn't heal very well. I couldn't let it die either because I receive damage when it does. So I left it in the NC jungle to watch for sneaky enemies and just fought with my ranged attack.

Got raped a few times but I found Syllabear very powerful at the end. Didn't know what to buy, so I started with threads, then S&Y (this can never go wrong for Agi-based heroes, right?). After S&Y I really didn't know what to get, so I went for Diffusal Blade (with that disabling spell it can't be a bad choice, right?). After that I still didn't know what to get, but since my attack was pretty fast I got a Cranium Basher.

The game didn't actually go very well. People kept disconnecting and eventually it got to 3v1, my team being 3. Soon even that final enemy left when he realized it was hopeless no matter how crazy his items were and everyone else quit right after.










Most common things have a words for them, which is why antisemitism is a word. For some reason, Jews have garnered much hate against them compared to all other religions. Notice there is a word for prejudice against Jews but none for prejudice against members of any other religion? Probably because they were the only people on Earth to ever have commited deicide.

Okay, so maybe Muslims have one too because these days, the word "terrorist" is becoming synonymous with "Muslim". Blame the Americans, or blame Osama, but gone are the days when terrorists just means the IRA or other groups of crazy people and brings to mind events like the Tokyo subway sarin gas attack.

But isn't it strange that the word "defenestrate" exists?

de·fen·es·trate
(dē-fěn'ĭ-strāt') Pronunciation Key
tr.v. de·fen·es·trat·ed, de·fen·es·trat·ing, de·fen·es·trates
To throw out of a window.

[Back-formation from defenestration.]


So it seems that throwing stuff (or people, for that matter) out of the window is a normal enough thing to have a word of its own.





The 13-year-old Alfie turned to be NOT the father of the baby of his 15-year-old girlfriend. Six other local boys have claimed to be possible fathers of the infant, ie at least 6 other boys had also had sex with her.

She looked like a hippo in those photos.

From this, we can deduce that UK boys like hippos. Guys, we can pack up the harpoons now. The guys in the UK will take all the chubby chicks from us.

Okay, I know, she looked so... undesirable... only because she just gave birth before the paparazzi took those photos. Praise the powers that be that we have 99.9% accurate DNA tests today, so that the poor boy doesn't need to spend more of his precious childhood years with a fugly female version of Moby Dick.

To make things worse, not only was Chantelle an underaged slut, she was a lying underaged slut. She lied to Alfie that he was the only one who had slept with her and that she was a virgin before that. The idea that she might have been cheating on him probably had never even crossed his mind!

Praise again the powers that be for our seemingly magical DNA tests. Our biotechnological advances are wondrous indeed!

By the way, who do they charge with statutory rape in this case, if they are charge with anything at all?

Sue the girl for raping the boy AND HIS CHILDHOOD!!!!!

Only the Internet and 4chan have the right to rape childhoods.


No comments:

Post a Comment