Friday 6 March 2009

Rant 318 / Oldies And Newbies


After getting the shock of discovering that this same song was used in the introduction movie of the game, Fallout, I just cannot get it out of my head. So I've found it in Youtube. The title is rather obvious, so it wasn't too hard to search for it.

It's not exactly the best song I've ever heard; it's just that I've heard it so many times during my time in Fallout 3 (I turned on GNR 90% of the time) plus the surprise of hearing it in the original Fallout that made it memorable for me.

Imagine slashing monsters to this music. Should seem weird to those who haven't tried it.

Here's another song by the same vocal group, The Ink Spots, used in the game.




Anyway I'll embed the Fallout 3 theme song here too, just because it was the most memorable track of the game. It was also the end theme of the game.



It certainly has a "steampunk" feel to it. Also suits the old new technology theme of this game, somehow.





After almost completing Fallout (lost interest after the permanent loss of my minion) and playing Fallout 2 a little, Fallout 3's Capital Wasteland feels so modernized. In Fallout, most towns were dingy little towns with the biggest city, the Hub, only slightly more populated than Rivet City. In present terms, the Hub is only a town.

However, Vault 13 was so perfect compared to the Vaults in Fallout 3 it was completely another world, kind of like those rooms you'd see in a sci-fi film.

Fallout 2 was worse. There are actually primitive tribes of people who stick bones through their nose and etc. Even the protagonist started out as a member of a tribe.

Then Fallout 3. Hydroponics in Rivet City. Water purification plant being researched. Radio stations and electrical lights everywhere.

So many advanced technologies compared to the previous 2 games that everything feels more primitive when I was playing them. And they lack the nice oldies.

One main difference in gameplay between Fallout 3 and the first 2 of the franchise is that combat is turn-based in the older games and real-time in the 3rd. I'm completely neutral about this though.

On one hand, combat in Fallout 3 is so easy. I can get the Shishkebab early in the game and pwn almost everything. I cannot turn up the difficulty even though I wanted to. On the other hand, combat in Fallout 1-2 is quite merciless. The armours suck; merely using a healing item takes a significant portion of my turn hence making healing during combat an emergency-only action. A raider using a machine gun could easily take out a third of my HP with a single attack. But then again, I've only 4 points in Endurance in both games. :(








Congressman Offers Preemptive Apology For Extramarital Affair

So this is what it means to be prepared...

No comments:

Post a Comment