Friday 13 March 2009

Rant 322 / Water Powder - Add 1 Tsp Into A Glass Of Water And Stir

Last night (Thu) after my Toastmasters Club Club-level International Speech and Table Topics Contest, the prez asked us out for a drink, supposedly because these will be the last few times he's around in Singapore till August. So 2 of us went with him and he drove us to Timbre@The Arts House. It was safe - he only had a Guinness.

Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise when the other guy revealed that he used to work as a bartender. When I asked him if Jack and Coke was a choice for a newbie like me, he described it as "too boring" and ordered a Mojito for me, saying that ordering this for a new drinker can never be wrong. For himself, he ordered a Kilkenny.

Mojito looked interesting, a clear drink with some greens in it, mainly mint leaves and lime. Didn't taste bad, but I've to finally admit that I don't like alcohol (except Martell XO coz it's F*CKWIN). Plus it confirmed something for me - alcohol makes me sleepy right away. This isn't exactly good since alcohol induced sleep has been proven to of poor quality and filled with dreams.

Throughout the night after I downed half the glass I could barely participate in the coversation, partly to prevent myself from saying anything I shouldn't be saying and mainly because I was trying not to yawn.

On this night I learnt what it is like to stay in a pub till it closes. For one, they chain up all their wooden chairs and movable tables, so it was fortunate for us that we were sitting on those metal stools at the smoking area (the 2 were both smokers). We stayed till everything was packed up and all the waiters were gone, with only the indoor bar open. Then one of us who finally finished his drink returned it to the bar. The cigarette tray, according to my ex-bartender friend, can be left behind on the table.

Then we went back to the car. While we were just leaving the area and discussing how to get home, the prez suddenly suggested we go for some beancurd dessert just because there was a stall nearby that sells it. So we did.

Another first here. I never knew that the "you2 tiao2" aka fried dough stick should be eaten with the sweet beancurd dessert. F*ck I'm a noob Singaporean. Been here for almost 20 years and still I don't know sh*t about Singaporeans.

That was the last thing we did before he drove us home. So the most important thing I learnt was that for all the new drinkers reading this, order a Mojito for yourself if you ever go to a pub/bar/club.







Someone on /r9k/ mentioned Folding@Home for Stanford and reminded me of its existence. I've completely forgotten about it for so long! I remember I used to open it when I'm leaving my comp on overnight, and I've been wondering other applications I can open while my computer is scanning/defragmenting/etc because I don't mind slowing them down - it only takes less than 5 hours to do all that, leaving at least 3 hours for nothing.

So now I've downloaded Folding@Home from the official website. One option in its settings is to set it as the lowest priority process in my computer, meaning that my CPU resources will be used on it only if there's really nothing else to do. This totally suits my purpose.

By using this, I'm doing my little part for humanity and soothing my conscience while I lie, cheat and steal in the real world. A balance, I guess. Obviously, this is more legit than the time when I used a bot to donate hundred of kilograms of free rice daily for www.freerice.com.

What this little programme does is that it spreads the research work on proteins across the world on all the F@h users. Instead of using a humoungous supercomputer at Stanford University, they split the processes into lots of tiny pieces which the F@h client downloads and completes on the individual computers. One of the things it does seems to be creating the image of a protein (which looked incredibly complex to a Mech Engine undergrad).

More info can be found in its FAQ section. Their accomplishments can also be found in the website.







What a pleasant surprise! I just checked on the latest Bleach episode number and realized I've forgotten about it for a very long time. My last note was that the next episode to watch was number 204 and right now DB has released episode 210 already. Seven-episode marathon FTW!!!

As for Naruto, my last note stated that I should watch from episode 92 onwards. Crunchyroll has released up to episode 99 for free, while episode 100 will be available free of charge in 5 days. So 8-episode marathon FTW!!!! Woot!






The perfect temperature of a glass of water is achieved by adding half a glass of chilled water (fridge temperature, not freezer) to half a glass of water at room temperature.

Personally I add a little tea in my water when I can. My mum always has a pot of Tie Guan Yin everyday. The perfect combination is a fifth or a sixth mug of tea, half a mug of cold water and fill the rest of the mug with water at room temperature. The result is a refreshingly cool mug of fragrant water, ie very weak tea. Almost tasteless but smells good.

No comments:

Post a Comment