Monday 30 March 2009

Rant 336 / Won't Break My Bones

In university there are so many people I never thought I'd meet. Very special people. But I'm not going to talk about those smart geniuses who have photographic memories, obscene levels of IQs because we all know about them.

Last year I met some engineering undergrads who didn't know that our electrical bills were calculated by kWh, or kilowatt-hour. They thought that energy is calculated in kW. Let me repeat - engineering undergrads.

In case you're a Philosophy major or something, kW is for measuring power, which is the amount of energy used/produced per unit time. By multiplying kW by the time, which is an hour in this case, you get the total amount of energy. Energy is measured in kilowatt-hours, joules or calories, but NEVER kilowatts.

No they aren't retarded, but seriously how did they managed to qualify for this course in the first place?

But they aren't the champs here. Just recently I met another engineering undergrad who doesn't know what "liquid nitrogen" is.

Liquid nitrogen.

"What is that?" he asked.


What happened was that we passed by a liquid nitrogen storage tank near our lab, and I made some small talk by mentioning how I first encountered this stuff when I was in primary school. I still remember it was at the Singapore Science Center and this guy demonstrated the effects of it by submerging a rubber ball (he proved it was a rubber ball by bouncing it on the floor) for a few minutes. With thick gloves and tongs, of course.

Then he gave a short speech (which I couldn't remember because my mind was on the little tank of smoky stuff) and proceeded to use the tongs to take out the rubber ball. He showed us the ball, which had turned white and frosted, and dropped it on the floor. It shattered as if it was made of thin porcelain.

For us children, it was magic.

A rubber ball that shatters defies logic, until he explained that the liquid nitrogen was so dangerously cold that it made the ball freeze like ice and became very fragile.

I was just halfway through this story when he asked," What is that?" I paused, though in my mind I jumped. Then I explained to him that it was pure nitrogen (I asked him if he knew what nitrogen was, just in case) frozen till it became liquid.

No he wasn't kidding me, because the level of... retardedness (yea I know there's no such word) was consistent with his normal attitude during our lab sessions. He was usually completely silent during all discussion with our prof, and the night before our lab report's deadline, he sent me a message asking me for our experimental results.

Not only that, I later found out he asked another lab partner for his calculations and analysis of the results, which is basically all the report's about. I didn't reply to his message because I thought he would just call someone else for it (troubles would go away if you ignore them long enough :P ).

Our friend whom he had asked for all the numbers gave him, instead of his own derived results, a short speech mostly on why he didn't deserve his answers when he had never helped in our experiments other than taking down readings from some of the gauges.

We all spent nights doing interpolations, researching and etc to get our analyses. How could he possibly expect any of us to give them to him like we were Santa Clauses?

Frankly I'm amazed by how such people managed to sneak into an engineering course. Obviously our A-levels aren't testing for the right qualities in the students.







Somehow I just like staying up late into the night. It's as if I can lengthen my day by not sleeping early, because I just hate tomorrow. It's illogical, I know. Waking up late only shortens my next day by as many hours as I spend staying up late today. But I just don't want to step into the nightmare that is tomorrow.

I guess it's a form of escapism.









Just checked GomTV for the first games of the season. Couldn't watch because now they're trying to screw with us by asking us to pay 50USD or watch the vids 3 days after the match. Obviously no one is going to pay that much since it's nothing but daylight robbery.

Wonder what the heck the Koreans are thinking. Maybe this is the way they do things in South Korea, I don't know, but they're dealing with a mostly European/American group here on this website (I believe the Koreans watch this from TV or something). If they need some extra revenue to support their hardware upgrades, do it with stupid online ads! Charging 50 bucks for some shitty streaming video isn't going to work.

I haven't watched the videos live since a long time ago, so it's not a problem. The comments are far below the GOM player windows, so I can watch the vids without seeing them. Only problem is that since I know how many matches there are (I have to open the next videos in advance to download while I watch) I know the results after the first match if the match ended in 2 rounds.

But it's ok, because it's not like the results matter a lot to me. I'm just looking out for epic matches that comes with every 50 rounds or so.








After watching the original CSI series for so long, CSI: Miami feels so different. For one, Horatio always tries to act cool, unlike nerdy Gil.








Some genius invented a pizza-making vending machine in Italy, pissing off many pizza chefs. This machine is able to make the dough, put in the other ingredients and then cook it, all done behind a transparent screen so that you can watch your pizza being made.

For about 4 Euros, you can have a decent pizza like that from the vending machines. The Italian chefs are not very pleased because it's like calling any sweet alcoholic beverage champagne. A pizza is more than just a piece of circular dough baked with cheese and tomatoes.

"This machine is a toy," Pino Morelli of the Association of Italian Pizzerias said. "Perhaps it will find a niche overseas, but Italians are born with pizza: their mothers feed it to them as babies. They understand it."

Can you just feel the annoyance? And the denial?

Anyway there are only 4 toppings to choose from, which makes sense because it's probably on a trial period. But as the recession continues, these machines may get more popular and they will add more toppings then.

I bet it's hell to repair and maintain them though. It looks just like one of those huge machines they use in factories. It probably is a modified version. How do they maintain hygiene inside?? There are so many parts in contact with food.






Action games may improve your eyesight. A recent study showed that people who play first-person shooters like Call of Duty have better eyesight than other gamers. Everyone, get your copies of Left 4 Dead and maybe someday you'll be able to do without your glasses!






Okay, this is going to seem very mean to some of you. In case you aren't aware of the song Chocolate Rain, here is the Youtube link. The part where the caption says, "I move away from the mic to breathe in" had become a popular internet meme in the past, and I found a modified version that made me LOL for real.

I don't know who it is nor do I care. And I didn't make this.







Dota 6.60 hasn't been released yet but its beta version has been leaked. Just in case, spoilers alert!

The map has been somewhat remade, with 9 taverns. 1 for each attibute on each side (Sentinels, Scourge and Neutral). Multiple new heroes and some heroes were changed.

Source is the DotA Allstars blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment