Tuesday 17 March 2009

Rant 326 / The Butterfly Effect

Iodized salt is iodized because we need iodine. How exactly did people in the past survive without iodized salt? What were their sources of iodine? For a very long time, salt was processed without the addition of this element. Why do we need it now?

The history of salt is also quite intriguing. I never knew that wars have been fought over salt.







W is a movie based on George W. Bush's life and presidency. Halfway through it, the scenes depicting the decision to attack Iraq and Iran shocked me with how they tried to glorify what were really plans for a full-blown invasion into the Middle East. Here, Powell was the only person in the Bush administration who voiced doubts over this, but eventually gave in to the combined pressure of everyone else.

Powell: So what is the real exit strategy?
*Everyone turns and looks at him.*
Cheney: There is no exit strategy.

In the movie, the war was described to be a war of necessity, as it was foreseen that American oil would be running out very soon. According to Cheney in the movie, the US of A has 5% of the world's population but using 25% of the world's energy. Meanwhile, Iraq alone has 10% of the world's oil reserves. Makes sense, for them.










Watching CSI during mealtimes is, frankly, not a good idea. Even I have things that I'd rather not see. It's not that I'd puke when I see something poking into an eyeball, but my face twists in disgust and I stop chewing when I see such scenes.







The ending of Fallout 3 is bullshit. Why did I have to enter a highly irradiated chamber to save everyone's lives? I just remembered that my companions could have entered the room for me and survived.

For example, FAWKES! He's a super mutant, a mutated human who is highly resistant (or almost immune) to radiation. Logically I could have just sent him in, but the game designers refused to allow me this option.

Another logical choice would have been the ghouls. Apparently I could have persuaded a certain ghoul NPC to join me. Ghouls are immune to radiation, so he made an even better choice than Fawkes.

In the end, we could have the best of both worlds - save the world and save ourselves! Fortunately the ending of Fallout 3 isn't canon, as stated by one of the game's producers. This is because of something that has to do with the 3rd expansion, Broken Steel. I'm guessing the player is going to be used again in that final epilogue.

In the first expansion, it was just nothing but fighting. The second expansion, The Pitt, will be the same. Boring.

Turns out there are many places in Fallout 3 that I haven't visited (or even know of), like Andale, a town of human cannibals who seem to be normal people living in the pre-war era. None of the places I've not been to looks interesting enough for me to replay the game for though.








I missed the IT Show last week because I was too lazy. A little Googling showed me a list of computer fairs that are held annually in Singapore. The next will be the PC Show 2009 on 11-14th June at Suntec. I will need to go get a new laptop before this one fries itself.

Apparently there are huge discounts during the final hours of these fairs, but it gets really crowded too. If I'm going to buy anything other than a laptop, I may visit it then. But if I'm just going to get a laptop, I'll go there just when it opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment