Tuesday 26 February 2013

Rant 1112 / Affordable 3D Printing? Yes Please.

So 3Doodler is a big hit on Kickstarter. It's really just a glue gun modified to use plastic instead.

Still, it's a great toy to me, particularly when it's associated with 3D printing.

People look at the pictures there and say it's impractical, too flimsy for anything useful.



I don't see why I can't build anything solid with it.

What I currently have in mind is the spiral pillar.



Except with the 3Doodler, I'll have to create flatter spirals.

That is how I think I can use the pen to create real practical furniture.

I'll most likely begin with little things like a tray for documents, and eventually I will build something to replace one of my current laundry racks. Unlike most households, I hang my laundry indoor at my balcony - one of the benefits of having too much space.

People say that hanging laundry inside will make it take longer to dry. I say this is Singapore, where 30 degrees Celsius is the norm during the day.  All I have to do is keep the windows open and the door ajar for ventilation.

Anyways, anyone who can't see the potential of this 3D printing gun is too unimaginative. Heck, I could even draw a toilet roll hanger for my bathroom if I use toilet rolls in there, or a soap tray if I can keep my hand steady enough to draw a flat bottom. Y'know, because a rough surface might catch the soap or accumulate it.

From what I've read, it uses ABS and PLA plastic. While I've been too lazy to read up on PLA, ABS is a great material for all these except for one major flaw - sunlight damages it. Although it's not like the sun will burn it to ashes in a day, it will probably not last more than a year in sunny Singapore unless I keep it in the bathroom or closet or something.

A hanger would be the perfect object to make using the ABS plastic.

As for the PLA, I'll have to google it up later on.

Anyway, it's clear I'm not the one who's excited about the possibly infinite practicality of this toy - it's currently a week since the launch of the KS project on the 19th of this month and it's already hit 6000% of its original target of US$30k.

Personally, I'm throwing in US$109 for the $99 option plus $10 shipping which will get me the gun plus 10 bags of plastic. I'd take the $75 option with just 2 bags if I know where to get more of the plastic. I have a rough idea but exploring Singapore is really not my hobby. I prefer to postpone that part for as long as I can.

As for when I'm getting it, since I pledged late, mine will only be delivered early next year. It says January 2014 there but I don't expect punctuality.

All in all, I'm really really excited to try out 3D printing for myself. Can't wait till it arrives. I'll probably spend at least one bag making trash just to get the hang of it. Hopefully I don't hurt myself or damage anything during the process.


Edit: Eventually I'm going to get a real 3D printer. Eventually.























So the budget is out. The Singapore Budget 2013, that is.

Mostly none of my business but a few can affect me.

The PIC Bonus would have been great if it didn't require at least 3 local employees to allow a cash payout instead of a tax rebate. I don't need a tax rebate since I predict my accountant will be telling me that I really made a loss in 2012 anyway.

Otherwise I would buy a tablet for my employees. Would be great to have the entire inventory updated in real time online, and if any issue occurs that require my personal attention while I'm absent, they could just set up Facetime.

Too bad it's not subsidised in my case.

The WCS is another scheme I can look at but I'll have to consult my accountant before I do anything. I'm sure my staff will be happy to get a raise but unless I can afford it, it's unlikely to happen at all.







Another thing I learnt from this is how people misunderstand things and blame the government when certain changes turn out to be different from what they thought they would be.

For example, I observed people thinking that our property taxes have been lowered so they can expect to pay less of it this year.

That's not exactly true. For the lower income people, the group that doesn't pay property tax has been increased. It used to be that homes with an Annual Value of $6k and below would pay no property tax but for 2013, it's $8k, so the change is that people who live in homes of $6k-8k this year will pay no tax.

For people whose homes have AV of $8k to $55k, there is only a slight change. Instead of paying a flat 4% for the AV of their homes, they still pay 4% BUT only for the AV beyond the first $8k, ie instead of 4% * AV, it's now 4% * (AV - 8000) due to the progressive tax structure.

Those who don't understand this concept will think that the government had been bullshitting them.

Anyways, just found out that the Annual Value for HDB flats is the amount of rent I could get if I rented the whole place out at market rate.

This is my first time giving a damn about the budget btw.

EDIT: oops it wasn't  a flat 4% even before this.

No comments:

Post a Comment