Friday 15 February 2013

Rant 1108 / Is It Child Abuse If You Snort A Baby Recreationally?

So the bill came and it turned out that Starhub did not waive any part of my bill despite the emailed promise.

Oh well, that's just another reason to make the switch next month.





















So this CNY I managed to have yu sheng thrice just because I like the dish and it's not available for the rest of the year.

Bought the packaged stuff from Shop N Save, just the smallest ones, for around S$7 each.

For that price, I have to add my own carrot and fish, the only fresh ingredients necessary to complete the recipe.

Carrots were easy because of the food processor my bro bought last year. Still loving that grater it comes with. It leaves a bit of the carrot ungrated at the end but that's better than having to grate anything manually.

Fish was a little hard. The buying was matter of luck. I went to the market at around 8.30am on the Saturday before CNY which was the day before the eve to look for salmon without really expecting to. In fact I was already thinking of alternatives I can go for if I couldn't find it as I walked to the market.

Only one stall still had any salmon left and they only had the very tail ends. Moreover, they were smaller than the ones I usually buy from another stall. Cheap though, because the stall was closing. Yea, 8.30am on the day before the eve and they were closing.

The stall only had 7-8 pieces remaining when I arrived and I initally asked for two. But when the guy said he was packing up already, I asked for one more. TBH I was tempted to ask him for all of them since they were small but I felt it was too much. Finally, the weighing machine said $18-something for the three but he charged me around $16-17 instead.

Skinning the fish wasn't easy because of the leanness. For some reason, the skin tends to stick a lot harder to lean meat. Not sure why. Unfortunately, the tail end is the leanest part of the fish body. In addition, I haven't done this for months already. Usually, I don't skin the fish because it's far easier to just strip it away after cooking.

But after some trials-and-error, I got the hang of it again.

Good thing they were all boneless fillets so I didn't have to remove bones.


The rest was easy. I gave a bit of the yu sheng to my bro to remind him of why he doesn't like it and finished the entire plate myself.

That was the first time. The other times I just ate them all by myself. Good times.




















Also made claypot rice the other day. Nothing but rice, preserved duck legs, fresh mushrooms and loads of dark soy sauce.




Wasn't as good as it could have been. Should have cut up the legs and bury them in the rice. Instead, I merely placed them whole on top of the rice. But I wasn't really interested in chopping them in case I get bone shards in my rice.

The duck legs were the preserved ones I got from Shanghai. Tasted less similar to preserved sausages than expected but were very salty.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is that new cheap rice I just bought. The size of the grains may make it look overcooked but it's actually not soft. Like I said, it's probably very old crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment