Thursday 14 February 2013

Rant 1107 / How Do People With OCD Handle Yu Sheng?

Found this Japanese TV show called "Yuusha Yoshihiko to Maou no Shiro", a really low budget parody of JRPGs and animes, although a large part seems to be based on the Dragon Quest series.

Very funny, probably the funniest show I've seen in years. The best thing is that unlike American comedies like Family Guy, the quality is actually consistent. The catch is that it only has 12 half-hour episodes, so it's really short.

Moreover, it's hard to find English-subbed versions so I had to get the raw Japanese ones and add in Japanese subtitles found separately. This led to some timing issues because the subs were meant for another version that I couldn't find, but luckily, VLC allowed me to manipulate the timing of the subtitles so for several episodes, I had to spend several minutes at the beginning adjusting it.

Still, it's well worth the effort.






















The best kind of school is probably one that allows the students to live entire lives in a simulated environment. Lot of people have probably wondered if our world is real. I feel that our world makes a fantastic classroom and it's really a terrible waste that people die and let all that experience and wisdom vanish.

In fact, some scientists have even published a paper saying that this theory is plausible.

Observable consequences of the hypothesis that the observed universe is a numerical simulation performed on a cubic space-time lattice or grid are explored.

The results, as translated by a journalist, are as follow:

The basis of the idea is that, if the universe is a simulation, then it would have certain observable constraints.

The laws of physics, which appear continuous, would have to be superimposed onto a discrete three-dimensional lattice which advances in steps of time.

This lattice spacing, says Professor Silas Beane of the University of Bonn, would impose an otherwise unnecessary limit on the energy that particles can have, because nothing can exist that is smaller than the lattice itself.

And, he says, precisely such a a cut-off in the spectrum of high energy particles exists: a limit to the energy of cosmic rays known as the Greisen–Zatsepin–Kuzmin (GZK) cut-off.

Someday, when virtual reality technologies get advanced enough, having something like this would be great. It's not just about school but also life experiences, so that you can go through the school of hard knocks without getting knocked hard. Not physically anyway.

This would also be fantastic for learning about the human psyche because you could simulate one person's life and throw lots of people into the simulation to get lots of different results.



























Path of Exile. Got to Merciless, the third difficulty, after finishing the 3 acts on Normal and then Cruel.

My DPS is now like crap although it was recently dramatically improved by my purchase of a Lightning Strike gem. My build was meant for this skill but I just couldn't find it, forcing me to rely on the stuff I found from the beginning, Heavy Strike and Ground Slam.

I also had Shield Charge and Tempest Shield but these worked great for their functions.

Heavy Strike and Ground Slam, on the other hand, do not benefit from my Lightning Damage passives so they eventually became obsolete as I went on.

I still keep Heavy Strike on though because in a 1-on-1 situation, Heavy Strike still does more DPS due to its higher level. Until I can get my Lightning Strike gem to catch up with my level, Heavy Strike will still have a place in my inventory.

Still, Lightning Strike produces 3 projectiles together with my initial hit, so it's great against groups.

Good for farming.

Also got the gems for increasing drop quantity and drop quality. Fantastic stuff. I immediately kept them on as much as I could to get their levels up even when I can't link them to my skill gems. Only used them when I join farming parties since my damage doesn't really matter as much.

Still, my DPS is not as great as everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment