Friday 8 February 2013

Rant 1106 / Forbidding Dirty Talk But Condoning Pre-marital Sex

Met the weirdest taxi driver the other day. I asked him if he could turn up the air-conditioning a little, and he replied with,"Why? Not cool enough?"

Apparently my driver was Captain Obvious.

Of course I said," Yes. It only drizzled for 2 minutes just now and it's not even cloudy. In fact, the road's dry already."

Then came what could be the most unexpected reply I've ever heard," That's not enough? Must it rain really hard to be cool enough?"

The first thing that came to my mind was "Duh, check your rear view mirror and look at my wet forehead, just in case you didn't notice me wiping my sweat with my handkerchief before. This is just typical Singapore weather; it has to have a thunderstorm or something for it to ever go below 27 degree Celsius on sunny afternoons."

But I figured he must be one of those crazy people who's not crazy enough to stay in a mental institution. I mean, any driver who refuses to turn up the a/c on a hot afternoon for a passenger has to have a screw loose unless he's wearing a windbreaker, which he wasn't. I've met female drivers who have though, and I don't make the same request in their cabs.

But this guy, he didn't seem to be feeling cold, so there's no reason he would risk anything for such a minor issue. What else could it be?

Since he wasn't right in the head, it could be a bad idea to argue, so I just stopped saying anything and pretended it never happened.

It's just weird. I wonder what his life is like.























So the reason why urban planners rarely ever merge multiple residential blocks into a single giant complex is due to Sick Building Syndrome.

From Wikipedia, this is about the air quality in the building due to poor ventilation.

Moreover, green building technologies are rather new in Singapore, so utilising any in public housing could be hard and expensive.

In addition, I guess there's also the issue of sunlight from the ones living on the lower floors near the centre of the structure. Unless they can legally force those residents to get out regularly (hard to enforce) or spend on costly lamps that can simulate the full spectrum of sunlight, it's going to be a health hazard just to live there.



























So the cheap rice does have a very distinctive feature that may be the reason why it's priced at $6.80 for 5kg.

Although it does not look any different from other rice when before cooking, the grains really expand a lot when cooked. Yet despite the size, it is not particularly soft, so it's not due to being cooked in too much water.

Strange because the grains look like those found in porridge, like they're all burst open.

I'm not sure why, but I feel that this may be the reason they're cheap.

Probably very old crop.

Practically speaking, I like this rice. The cooked rice is not soft and the grains don't stick to the pot as much. Less wastage and may possibly be great for making fried rice.




















Don't feel like going out recently. Not sure why. Went out today only because I recalled only this morning that I promised a supplier I would pay him this week, and I really don't want to encounter the horrendous Friday queue at the bank. Worse, it's the last weekday before the Chinese New Year, so everyone's trying to withdraw cash for red packets.

ATMs are not useful because there are lots of people who are taking out large amounts of cash (at least 5 digits) and the machines only handle up to $1k per transaction.

I'll have to go out tomorrow again for work. I don't know why but I just don't like the idea at all.

Also planning to go back to the office during the CNY week even though we officially reopen only on the Monday after that.























Been playing Path of Exile, but not a lot. Just finished the 3 acts on Normal so I'm on the next difficulty now, whatever that is.

Found out about the vendor recipes so I did a lot of farming before I realized how pointless it has to be. I should be farming when I'm done with all 3 difficulties, not now. So what if I get a lot of valuable orbs if my gear isn't going to be used for very long?

No comments:

Post a Comment