Tuesday 1 January 2013

Rant 1093 / Homing Missiles Are The Future Of Gaming

Been trying the toner I brought from the Korean hotel after reading up a bit on it.

It appears to be the mildest kind of toner which basically is just a moisturising fluid. Not really sure how I should use it but since I'm too cheap to get cotton swabs just for this, I'm applying it with my hands.

Smells pretty good. No wonder it's also known as rosewater.

I was also forced to use the soap bar I got as a freebie from Vardi and Migdal. I was actually merely asking about them out of curiosity since there were like a dozen bricks of them on display together with a knife clearly meant for cutting them.

But he immediately offered me two pieces as a freebie for my purchase, so I picked at random the Chocolate Mint and Ocean Blue. Gave the first piece to my housekeeper as a Christmas gift because I really don't need more soap after the 10 litres I bought from Qoo10.

The problem was that they couldn't be stored for long. It seems they melted even when stored in my wardrobe and were seeping through the paper gift wrap, so I had no choice but to use it.

Nothing special about it as far as I can tell. Just a simple piece of soap. Maybe it's got Dead Sea minerals but I don't even know what it's really good for.

The third thing I've just started using was the free hand lotion I got from Watsons when I signed up for the membership. Maybe I'm getting old but my hands can no longer stand the strong soap and dishwashing liquid much, causing me to have annoyingly dry palms often.

I might need more of this someday. Or I'll just get more body butter or moisturiser. Right now I still have a few ancient cans of moisturisers (lost one during my Korean trip because my saline nasal spray exploded in my checked-in luggage during the flight and the water seeped into everything in the ziplock bag)


Sure it feels girly but I dont want to waste them since they were all free and those freebies, other than the soap bars, aren't exactly good as gifts.






What is now left on my "need" list is only cotton berms/shorts for home use. I have pretty much all the necessities that I can think of stocked up for months. Except for spare light bulbs, but those are easy to find in my neighbourhood.

My "to do" list, on the other hand, is pretty long. For one, I still haven't called the contractor to fix my air-conditioner.





















Both Geneforge 1 and 2 seem to have a common theme. I wonder if it's the same for all the rest of the games.

In the two games I've played so far, there is a sentient race created by the Shapers, a guild of practitioners of a form of life magic that sounds very similar to futuristic genetic engineering. The creatures are known as "serviles" who basically do all kinds of low-level labour like farming.

In the first game, after their abandonment by the Shapers on an island, they formed three distinct groups with different beliefs. The first, known as the "Awakened", developed the idea that they and the Shapers were equals. The second, the "Obeyers" stuck with the original belief taught by the Shapers that they must always serve the Shapers. The third, the "Takers" decided that the Shapers were complete assholes for abandoning them like that and they would fight their creators if they ever came into contact with them again.

Similarly, after getting an explanation from the leader of the second group I met in the second game, I realize that they were almost the same. Again, the Awakened were there; the Obeyers had died out in a way in the last game but were replaced spiritually by serviles who had never left Shaper control; the Takers turned into extremists and changed their name; finally there seemed to be a group that was under a rogue Shaper and fought the rest of the Shapers.

I'm not sure if the last group had its own distinctive belief because the serviles there might as well be the same as the original serviles since they served a Shaper.

Clearly, the common theme is the philosophical question of how we should treat a sentient race we have created. I guess in reality this should apply to the AIs, if anyone ever creates a truly sentient AI.























Now that I have over 760 certs in Planetside, I can't decide what to spend them on.

I've recently took a liking to the Light Assault class for its mobility since it's the only class with jetpacks.

The real issue with this class is that it can't do much damage, so I was trying out the only other weapon I thought was good, the Solstice SF, a carbine with an adjustable fire mode for all situations - single shot semi-auto for sniping, 3-shot bursts for medium distance and full-auto for close quarters.

But when I tried it on trial mode, I found its power to be no different from the default weapon we begin with, the original Solstice. With this sort of damage, it's completely pointless to snipe with it. 1-3 shots won't kill shit, so I might as well just stick with what I have now.

According to the Planetside 2 wiki, they do have the sama firepower. For 500 certs, I'd only be paying for the extra fire modes.

Worse, all the other primary weapons have roughly the same firepower, so there's little reason I should get a new weapon for my light assault class.

Hence I'm considering spending them on my current second favourite class, the heavy assault. More specifically, I'm going to get a better anti-armour weapon. Not sure if I should get anti-air or anti-tank. My bro recommended anti-air while I was initially thinking about anti-tank.

I encounter tanks more frequently than planes, but planes are usually more lethal than tanks, especially the frigging Mosquitoes from TR.

This is all about whether I want to be more "strategic" or a better cert-farmer. With a better anti-air weapon, I will be a more valuable asset to the team, particularly in defending our territories against sieges. On the other hand, I'm sure I'll be getting more points with an anti-tank weapon upgrade.

I can't take both because I can only use 1 at a time.

What a dilemma.

Anyways, I've been making over 100 certs per day for the last two days of the weekend while still having time to play Geneforge 2. Feels good man.

To be honest, I'd still rather get an anti-infantry weapon but since they're roughly the same for all the classes that I like to use, I don't really have a choice.

Moreover, the strategy recommended on the wiki for light assault suggests that getting a weapon upgrade for that class is not the best idea out there. The whole strategy is about getting utilitrian things like the movement speed upgrade and C-4 explosive, not the kind of stuff that would aid in a straight firefight.

Then again, playing the light assault is more about mind tricks, ie surprise butt sex, than a fair fight. With the mobility, I discovered that I could fight the enemies from directions they do not expect, mostly flanking them and above them, like reaching them from areas where there are no stairs to climb.

...

860 certs! 140 more to go!

But now I'm torn between the Nemesis and the Annihilator. The Nemesis can only lock onto aircrafts, has about 30% more damage, slower missile speed, shorter missile range and can fire without locking onto anything. Locking on means the missile homes in onto the target when fired.

I think that the biggest advantage of the Annihilator is that it can lock onto any vehicle, ground or land. With it, I won't get many kills but in a team fight, I'll be surely getting more kill assists. However, I'll be better off with the default weapon that does not lock onto anything and has a trajectory (aka bullet drop) when I'm alone since I cannot fire without locking onto anything.

The reason is that the heavy weapon can usually be used on infantry as a close-range 1-shot-kill weapon, but since the Annihilator is the only one of its class that cannot fire without locking on and the entire class does not lock onto infantry, it cannot fire if I'm holding it expecting a tank and encounter infantry instead.

What do?

No comments:

Post a Comment