Monday 28 January 2013

Rant 1101 / Ten More To Quadruple Ones

So I got really annoyed by the lack of home internet during the weekend and sent them a wall of text about this issue myself. Previously, my bro handled that and it didn't really go anywhere.

Although I'm unable to get a copy of my initial online feedback, I'll just post the rest here. Names have been changed to protect the identities of minors.

> > > Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:03:30 +0800
> > > From: customerservice@starhub.com
> > > To: X@X.com
> > > Subject: Re : Broadband Services : Feedback
> > >
> > > Dear Mr X
> > >
> > > We refer to your e-mail on 24 January 2013.
> > >
> > > We would appreciate it if you could perform a hard reset on your
> > > Huawei HG256s Home Gateway and see if the problem still persist.
> > >
> > > If the problem still persist, we would appreciate it if you could
>
> > > provide us with a convenient date and time(at least 3 days in
> > > advance) so that we can schedule an appointment to swap your Home
>
> > > Gateway again. Please take note of the below available timing
> slots:
> > >
> > > 9am to 11am
> > > 11am to 1pm
> > > 2pm to 4pm
> > > 4pm to 6pm
> > >
> > > If you have further question about StarHub MaxOnline services,
> please
> > > e-mail to this address or fax in to 6720 5000.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best Regards
> > >
> > > A
> > > Customer Affairs



To which I replied:



> > Incoming E-Mail from X@X.com
> > Subject: RE: Re : Broadband Services : Feedback
> > To: customerservice@starhub.com
> > From: X
> > CC:
> > Received on: 27/01/2013 4:42:45 PM
> >
> >
> > Dear Mr A,
> >
> > I believe this issue has already been described to people on your
> side through another email address. In the last email it was stated
> that you or your colleagues were aware of this problem and you would
> call back on this to set up another appointment, and that was sent on
> either Thursday or Friday.
> >
> > I'm unclear as to how bad communication is between you guys and I
> probably don't want to know either, but as long as it does not mess
> things up even more for your end, I'd like to have the earliest time
> slot possible. If it cannot be earlier than 9-11am on Wednesday
> (assuming you can book today, a Sunday), then I'll take it. Very
> soon, it's going to be a whole week since the issue began and my
> family has practically hit most of our mobile data limits, so you can
> see why there is some degree of urgency here.
> >
> > As for the reset, it has been done every morning since the issue
> began. I'd also like to mention that neither this nor the swap done
> by your technician on Thursday, work order number 1-00000000000, has
> worked so far, hence I hope you understand that at the moment, I'm
> strongly inclined to switch over to another ISP regardless of the
> contract termination fee, which can easily be offset by the price
> difference since Singtel charges only $50 for its 150Mbps plan and M1
> $59 for 100Mbps.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > X




For some reason, another person took the place of this customer service personnel,




> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:50:32 +0800
> From: customerservice@starhub.com
> To: X@X.com
> Subject: RE: Re : Broadband Services : Feedback
>
> Dear Mr X
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
> We wish to explain that for hard reset of Gateway, you may refer to
> the following:
>
> - With the Gateway powered on
> - Use a paperclip to press and hold the "Reset" button for 20 seconds
> at the back of the Gateway
> - Release the "Reset" button and the Gateway will go through a reset
> process.
> - Wait about 5 minutes for the Gateway to reboot.
>
> Secure your wireless connection and ensure no other configuration on
> other settings
>
> - Ensure your computer Internet connection is established
> - Open your web browser and enter 192.168.1.1
> - Username/Password : admin/admin(default)
> - Click Basic > WLAN
> - Security Mode: WPA-PSK
> - Ensure your WPA Pre-Shared Key(Your wireless connection password)
> - WPA Encryption: TKIP + AES
> - Click submit.
>
> Meanwhile, we have scheduled the appointment for our technician to be
> onsite to troubleshoot on this coming Wednesday, 30 January 2013
> between 9am to 11am.
>
> In addition, we have informed our technician to replace your Huawei
> Gateway to D-Link Gateway instead.
>
> If the issue is resolved after the factory reset, please inform us
> and we will cancel the appointment. If not, the appointment will
> proceed accordingly.
>
> We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
>
> If you have any questions on StarHub MaxInfinity services, please
> email to this address or fax in to 6720 5000.
>
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> B
> Customer Affairs



Basically, they aren't going to do shit to compensate for this, hence my reply:




Dear Mr/Ms B,

Nothing personal, I know your job isn't the easiest, but I am just not satisfied with what your company's policies are making you do. Is this the best you can offer? You're going to leave us without the broadband connection for over a week? Worse, you're going to change the device to the even more notorious brand, D-Link?

The least you could have done would be to waive part of the bill since your product's issue has, for so long in such a critical period, prevented us from using the service we signed up for, not to mention all the inconvenience this has caused us. Aside from disrupting my work, it is so annoying to do any pre-CNY preparation online through this mobile broadband with its slow speed and regular disconnections, particularly in the evening.

But you know what? Just go ahead and do whatever you feel is best. Come March when the IT Show is here, I'll do whatever I feel is best.

Best regards,
X





Yet another customer service representative took over.




Dear Mr X

Thank you for your email reply.

We understand your issue faced and sincerely apologise for the
inconveniences caused due to the MaxInfinity service.

However we would appreciate it if you could allow us to first resolve
the technical issue faced, afterwhich we would discuss the
compensation request again with you further.

We thank you for your understanding on this matter and hope that the
latest service call arranged would resolve the issue.

If you have any questions on StarHub MaxInfinity services, please
e-mail us at this address or fax in to +65 6720 5000.


Yours sincerely

C
Customer Affairs
 

Anyways, I've already made up my mind that I WILL switch ISP unless they compensate us beyond the degree that I suggested. Obviously I'm not telling them that and neither do I expect them to be generous, so I'm already looking through all the past promotions to have an idea what to expect from M1 in March.

I still have this impression that M1 isn't really much better than the morbidly obese green pipe, but it really does make economic sense to make the switch. In fact, I would have been thinking about this earlier if I hadn't signed up for this contract last year, and that was around the same time as my mother's passing so I really didn't consider my options carefully then.



















Gemini Rue looks like a pretty good game. So far so good. The fact that I could right click an inventory item while already right-clicked on an object outside wasn't very obvious. Interesting plot, or maybe I'm just out of games that I'm interested in due to NO INNERNET.





















So I'm letting my office close for the Chinese New Year next Tuesday if my staff can finish all the final orders by then. Otherwise, I'm closing on Wednesday. By "closing on" I mean that's the last day of work and that day, in the past, had always been for nothing but simple cleaning of the office and not any actual work.

I don't actually care if they do any work on the final day as long as there is no outstanding order left unfulfilled but some cleaning would be nice.

My staff had reminded me that my mother used to close on the 26th of this lunar month and that's the Thursday, but I'm letting them go earlier because they're starting to develop this perfect memory of my mother in which she's got no flaws. I can't compete with that, so I'm doing whatever that's harmless to compensate. In this case, I'm closing a day earlier at least, two if business is as slow as I feel it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment