Sunday 27 January 2013

Rant 1100 / Lutefisks For The Lutefisk God!

Managed to catch the stream of the Ultimate Empire Showdown on Twitch.tv and my bandwidth on this Saturday morning was sufficient to handle it without a hitch.

Most of the problems were on the server side which I had already expected, so the event was ok to me.

On the scoreboard, the three challenges were won by the VS on most of the servers. On Connery where the Youtube celebrities played as the leaders of the factions, VS won two out of the three challenges.

Some would say that its a clear sign that the VS is OP and needs a nerf.

From what I could see, I also learnt that it really wasn't such a big deal that I was unable to join in the battle due to my internet issue. The server population level of Connery was "High" on the SOE server stats page and the continent where all the fun was, Amerish, had at least over 300 people in the queue to enter it.

This means it must have lagged significantly even if I could get in without crashing which some queueing players complained about.

The event was actually plagued by problems, starting from the audio that kept breaking throughout the event (LevelCap's victory speech was inaudible because of it), and then there was the stream crashes caused by the ten thousand fans trying to watch the stream and spam cheers on the same chat simultaneously. It took roughly half an hour, maybe just less than an hour, for the stream to be fixed and it took another 10-20mins for them to allow viewers to chat again without crashing the stream.

Poor NC failed at everything but I didn't like how the commentators and the "floor correspondent" kept teasing the faction and the leader, SeaNanners, about it at the end. Sportsmanship man, sportsmanship!

I know it's funny how NC won not a single challenge and got third place in the popular vote, but a mention of that would have been enough.

It's the first time SOE held such an event for this game, so hopefully things will improve next time and hopefully get better commentators. One didn't really feel professional (ie polite) while the other didn't appear to have a lot of experience with the game at all.






















My iPad's been on the entire day constantly charging and running Blockheads so that I can finish processing all the ores I've collected from my trip halfway across the world. I literally ran and swam back to my starting point where I have all the fully upgraded facilities to get everything done.

I could also build them from scratch but that felt like too much work compared to what I did.

The entire day was spent doing nothing but making tools for the rest of my journey. Really shows how slow the game is if I don't spend money on it.

















Been forgetting about Max Payne 2 after my overseas work trip. Now I can't run it.

I have no idea why because I don't recall doing anything to it. I repeated the few special steps that got the game running the last time but it no longer works.

I may need to reinstall it.






















Also been thinking about which phone I should get. Initially I wanted an old model of the iPhone, maybe the 3rd gen since iPhone 4 is still around S$500 with a 2-year contract.

But apparently they don't sell that anymore.

I've also considered not getting a phone with a good camera but I will have to keep my current phone as my camera.

Right now, I can trade in my phone for S$150, so unless I can get a phone that has a good camera and is smoother than the Nokia N8 with this trade, I'll probably go for an old Android phone.

TBH I'd really prefer to trade in this phone because it just makes life simpler, so I'll probably be willing to throw in another S$50 beyond my $100 budget and lower the minimum resolution of the camera to around 8 megapixels, the same as the iPhone 4S.

No comments:

Post a Comment