Sunday 6 January 2013

Rant 1094 / Presbyopia?

Okay, after all these time I spent playing as infantry in Planetside 2, I finally started to feel serious about aircrafts, more specifically the Scythe.



The aircrafts are actually pretty damn hard to use and the scythe is hard because it has the fastest lateral movement and upward acceleration in the game. Like I said before, it's got the best agility among all the aircrafts of the three factions.



My biggest gripe with this aircraft is that yaw control is horribly slow compared to the agility of the roll and pitch controls.

In other words, instead of simply turning right, I have to roll clockwise (roll till my "up" is the right) then pitch up.

The complexity of this maneuver is compensated by the fact that I can, when necessary, accelerate left and right quickly with what I called my "upward acceleration". If I can master this aircraft, missiles are going to be easy to dodge.


...


I learnt that I should re-bind a few of the keys so that the pitch can be controlled by the mouse 4 and 5 buttons. This is way faster than dragging the mouse up and down because the sensitivity cannot be increased although I have to grip the mouse a little differently in order to press both the keys with my thumb.

Now I can do awesome 360 flips although I still have difficulty controlling it. This is important for dodging homing missiles since they are never that agile.

I still suck at flying but at least I'm starting to get the hang of it. Right now I need to save my certs for rockets because the default weapon is terrible. To make things worse, since it's so hard to control the aircraft, it's nearly impossible for me to kill anything with my aim.






























Tried Max Payne 1. Now I see why it's got such high review scores.

Max Payne is a third-person shooter about an undercover police who gets framed. So far I'm still in part 1 but it really feels less like a shooter and more like a crime thriller.

The game isn't exactly hard when I can quicksave at any time and reload till I'm satisfied.

...

It's so good I don't even need the music which is screwed up due to compatibility issues with my Windows 7 64-bit.

I found out that there was music only in Part 3.
























So my right lower eyelid's been twitching a lot lately. I figured it's probably because it's tired, which means I need to get a new pair of glasses.

The optometrist is only across the street. The prices are probably low but he's not that accurate. I haven't had any bad experience with him so I don't care. His shop is conveniently located and that's all that's important.

Apparently my eyesight has improved. In one eye, my myopia even improved from -250 to -75.

This is nothing new because the records show that my eyesight has always been improving in that eye since my second visit in 2005.

That, by the way, was also my last visit till now.

The optometrist did not recognize me but he did recall selling the frame, which is no longer in stock. Upon checking my glasses, he even expressed surprise at the perfect condition of the frame, except all the printed stuff was gone.

These days, he only sells frames with rather flat and wide temple arms (the parts that go over the ears) instead of the classic thin type that I wear.

Anyways, the improving eyesight was not completely good news. Since I don't usually wear my glasses at home, it should have been deteriorating over the last 7 years. Although it's possible that somehow my eyes have been getting stronger for whatever reason (eg diet), there is also the probability that this is a symptom of an early onset of presbyopia, what one of my primary school teachers used to jokingly call "old flower eyes", a transliteration of the chinese name for this condition.

According to the optometrist, this is not impossible for someone my age; the youngest customer he had to have this condition was 26.

Had quite a bit of difficulty picking a frame. Initially I favoured half-frames but according to the optometrist, I should get shatterproof lenses if I pick those because the lower half is not protected by the frame, and shatterproof lenses will cost a bit more. Moreover, my glasses do fall sometimes because I tend to neglect them when I'm home.

At about 200 degrees or less, most indoor activities do not require glasses.

Nobody has ever really explained to me why it's not good for the eyes to do so, and I had always thought it was because it causes strain in the eyes.

Hence the optometrist explained that it's not only that, but that it makes me unconsciously use only my better eye to see.

In the end I just picked a plastic one just because it's has more resistance against perspiration. Moreover, I really didn't like most of the metal frames that he had.

If I don't like it in the future, I'll just hand him my current frame to replace the lenses. Right now I can't because I don't have a spare pair to use and he doesn't offer the 1-hour service like some of the more expensive optometrists do.

No comments:

Post a Comment