Thursday 24 January 2013

Rant 1098 / Going To Miss The Ultimate Empire Showdown On Saturday

TUE



Found this game called "L-Man" again!



蜥蜴超人was probably one of the most memorable Chinese games I've ever played. I can't even remember when I got it but I do recall liking its music enough to burn its music tracks into a CD to use with my portable CD-player.

They were also the only music I liked that my father kind of listened to for a bit during a long coach journey in Malaysia until I told him it was from a game.

Finding a copy of the game was surprisingly easy, and although it only consisted of a suspiciously lonely LMAN.exe file, it turned out to be better than expected because I didn't get the voice-over back in the day, only the music.

It even had DOSBox built into the file so all I needed to do was install and play.

Fantastic.

This game revolves around a typical high school student with a typical habit of stealing panties during the night. Except he had the ability to turn into a superhero, L-Man (presumably short for "Lizard Man").

In the game's universe, zoomorphic humanoid aliens with special abilities once built an advanced civilization on Earth. A long time ago, there were 5 alliances among these aliens, the Bats, the Tigers, the Foxes, the Frogs and the Lizards.

At some point, the evil immortal Bat alliance broke the peace for its ambitions, causing the other 4 to ally against it. A thousand years they fought, thus the aliens were almost destroyed and the survivors went on to live among us in human form.

Our protagonist, L-Man, was the last Lizard descendent.

The gameplay is quite simple: there is the Attack button and the Defend button.

Under "Attack" there are multiple options arranged to their power level. The "Defend" option leads to multiple different options, usually consisting of block and energy regeneration.

Due to the lack of variety among the attack options, there really isn't much strategy involved. Normally I just try to attack till I run out of energy and then regenerate followed by more attacks.

To compensate for this simplicity, this game uses humour to keep the player entertained. With the protagonist being an underwear thief, it's easy to tell the kind of humour that it contains.

I might just stream it some day, but right now, my internet's down (again), the problem being that it's unable to connect to the DNS server, according to the Windows troubleshooter.

Even though it gave me an automated message saying that Starhub was aware that there is a service disruption in my area, emailing them got me an appointment with the technicians as if they weren't aware of it.

I have no idea why this is happening.

So the technician's coming in on Thursday and I expect the gateway device to be changed again free-of-charge.

This is getting ridiculous because it's only been a year or less since I signed up for this 2-year contract. Two changes in a year? Yea sure it's free but it almost nearly caused me to miss the Planetside 2 Ultimate Empire Showdown on Saturday if I hadn't emailed the ISP.

I don't get the automated message on the phone but I think it was put there erroneously. It's been 4 days and it's still not fixed, yet nobody is complaining about it online.


At least I have this mobile modem and my bro's got his 3G phone.

Speaking of which, I will consider switching to M1 and see if their 3G mobile plans plus a simple home fibre internet plan will cost less than my current 2G phone plan plus home-fibre-cum-mobile-modem bundle.

It's only 6 months before I can recontract, so that's not very long now and I'm really looking forward to changing my phone.

The biggest issue with the Nokia N7, to me, isn't the Symbian OS but that it is so slow. It takes forever to rotate if I'm on a call or typing a message and it's horrifying if I rotate with the numberpad on display while on a call.

To be fair, it's great as a camera and it only cost me about $60-plus on top of the 2-year contract. This time, I'm going to get a phone that's actually got good reviews because now I know what I need in a smartphone, and that's the smoothness I am getting from my iPad.

So probably an old iPhone model.






















THU

This is ridiculous. The technician came over and did some stuff while I went to work. My bro later told me the technician didn't charge any money and told him it will reconnect in a few hours.

I came back later that afternoon and found that it was still not up.

My bro had already called them by then and the Starhub call center guy told him he would call him back later to set up another appointment.

That did not happen.

This is fucking ridiculous!

I'm going to miss the Ultimate Empire Showdown on Planetside 2 on Saturday morning!!!!

So I gave them a piece of my mind through their online feedback form. I don't expect a reply but I'm honest when I told them that I'm quite ready to switch over to another ISP regardless of penalty fees.

In fact, if the coming appointment (which hasn't been confirmed yet) doesn't fix things, I will do it the next time I see a M1 promotion and bring my mobile account with it. That will probably be in March when the next tech expo happens.

M1 has that Multi-line Saver discount if I have 3 or more lines with them and the fibre internet is considered one. Ever since my bro moved to M1, we've both been eyeing that, so it's not going to take much to nudge me in that direction now.

Moreover, the prices offered by M1 are much lower than that of Starhub, so even if I'm charged a hundred or two by Starhub for cancelling the contracts, I'm still going to make it back through the price differences.

For making me miss the Ultimate Empire Showdown, an event that I've been looking forward to for over a month, the penalty doesn't even matter regardless of whether I make it back like that. I might even get an equally-priced plan just for the heck of it!

Utterly ridiculous! Three technician appointments in less than a year!

Speaking of M1,if I were to bring both my fibre and mobile accounts over, I'm going to have to sign up for a mobile broadband plan separately because their cheapest mobile plans only have 2GB of data. I need far more than 2GB especially if I expect to continue using Teamviewer.

In that case, I'll have 5 lines once I merge with my bro's account and that's a 45% discount on everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment