Tuesday 27 March 2012

Rant 961 / CIV CV

Let's just say that I don't actually play Civ 5 all that much.

Until recently, that is.

And the game I was talking about took two days to complete at turn 1003.




I'd call this a close shave.

If you look at the background, you would see that:

1) Genghis Khan (maroon) had over half the map as opposed to the little white patch that was my Greek empire ruled by Alexander.

2) Genghis Khan had just completed the Manhattan Project which allows players to build nukes.

Also consider the facts that he had been denouncing me since forever and began to take a hostile stance towards me about 15 turns before this.

Actually I was worrying about the possibility of a Mongol invasion so much I sacrificed two Great Generals I kept around to boost my army's performance for Golden Ages that, among other things, boost productivity.

I was also fortunate enough to get a Great Engineer about 20 turns before I researched Globalization, which allows the UN Building to be built, so that I could use him to speed up the construction of that structure in my capital.

Moreover, I stopped upgrading my army while I was getting that World Wonder up so that I would have enough cash to buy the city-states again in case Genghis Khan spent his cash to buy influence in them. By doing so, I was risking an invasion from him by having an increasingly obsolete military.






I'd probably have lost if it wasn't an AI because a real player would have spent all that gold to buy the favours of the city-states.

TBH that was kinda cheap. The cultural victory may be legit but taking advantage of a weakness of the AI isn't.

I'm just too much of a pacifist for this game, I guess. I should probably play team games like a 3v3v3v3 so that I can just donate troops to my allies whenever it's possible to stay out of wars.
















Spent the evening playing that and browsing the iPad's app store for free apps.

Useful MSWord-like apps are plentiful but I have yet to find one that allows images and tables to be combined into one, unlike Excel.

Games-wise, expectedly disappointing. Almost everything that's free either suck or encourages mini-transactions. I don't blame the developers, but it's just not very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment