Sunday 25 March 2012

Rant 960 / Pawn Cites

So I tried to go for a small, condensed empire in Civ V instead following my usual expansionistic tendencies.

Nope, not my style. I was using England which produces double quantities of several strategic resources. Fewer cities means I produce fewer military units when I need them.

Probably needs a different strategy during wars. What I'm doing now is I garrison a unit in almost every city I have so that when I get attacked, I pull all my garrison troops to the hot zone and pwn the living crap out of the invading army. In addition, every city which finishes whatever it's producing begins to train new units as long as I feel that my army isn't able to overwhelm the opposing force.

A small empire would probably need a larger standing force constantly and not just garrisons.

Also, I'm starting to like Alexander a lot more than Harun. Those city-states are really useful, especially the militaristic ones. Although they give me a military unit every 17-20 turns, it saves me all the turns I could spend on building Wonders and other more important structures.

Moreover, with Patronage policies I'm able to reduce the influence decay to 0.24 per turn and raise the influence gain through gold gifts by 25%. The last time I handed out a thousand bucks, it gave me 115 influence points. Taking away the 29 points that's in the Neutral level, that's still over 350 turns worth of goodwill from that city-state!

With all my games' speed set to Marathon (1500 turns), every thousand gold I give away gets me a city-state's bonuses for a fifth of the game!

<3

Or if we want to be more specific, I'm really into the Ally bonuses, not the Friend bonuses.

In this case, I need to raise the 29 points to 59. At 60 points, I'll be an Ally.

So (115-59) / 0.24 = 233 turns! After the initial gift (unless I did something for it instead like killing a nearby barbarian encampment), I'll be getting even more per gift since I don't have to cover the first 59 points anymore.



And this game I'm having is so awesome.

Between England and I are a chain of city-states, half of which I'm allied with.

When England declared war on me, Elizabeth's units had to pass through my allies to get to me.

They never reached me.

On their way to my territory, her units were constantly attacked and distracted by one of my allied city-state. Eventually she agreed to a peace treaty... with 30 gold for me.

I upgraded my own units for nothing but I guess they now make a better deterrence.

Still, I'd prefer to spend that 400+ gold on more gifts to other city-states.





This is getting bad. It's the 826th turn and I'm first in Science, Culture, Wonders according to the various rankings that pop up once in a while. Meanwhile in the Victory Progress menu, it's still too early to tell but I have the most number of technologies and social policies.

But Genghis Khan has like a third of the map and is 1500 points ahead of me.

Once the UN is up, I'm totally winning the game though. The reason is because I'm allied with every single city-state in the map, therefore I'll automatically have all 23 of their votes in the UN.






















Oooh a package for me? On a Sunday? No wonder, it's DHL. But... DealExtreme only uses shitty standard mail.

 *GASP*

It's from Foxconn!













Ya, that's a MacDonald's Big Breakfast styrofoam cover that's currently serving as a coaster.











 My first Apple product.











 Time to open it.












 So that's what $700 look like.












This is its thickness, and the accesories provided. There's a 30-pin/USB cable underneath the rectangular packet.










It even came with a fully charged battery!







Since my accesories are still 2 weeks away, I'm going to use it with the wrapper on. Not that I'll be using it much. This week is just for unpacking my new goods. Tiring week ahead!

I'll just be leaving it switched off at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment