Wednesday 7 March 2012

Rant 952 / Economy Down The Drain? Print Money And Declare Martial Law!

Tropico 3. I've never played the game of brinkmanship so hard in my entire life!

My economy was so bad, yet so awesome. I was making $30k-55k per ship by exporting canned pineapples, fish and coffee, but I was also hitting negative numbers by the time the next ship arrives. I keep increasing my revenues yet I also keep spending more to pacify my people.

And it happened for years until the game crashed without an error message!

During the first several years when my debts spiralled out of control, I used all sorts of edicts to gain popularity while refusing to hold elections. This resulted in citizens joining the rebels and foreign rebels infiltrating my island.

That was when I had over 40 unemployed citizens out of about 400.

When I couldn't stop my treasury from emptying itself before the next ship's arrival, I printed money (causes all prices for everything I do to rise by 30%), built a few more banks (I had college graduates aplenty)... and it still kept going near 0.

Unable to get my unemployment rate down, I got really worried about rebels, especially since they had been importing foreign rebels for a few years by then.

So I did the unthinkable - kill DJ Juanito.

Poor guy. I liked him, really!

But the effects of silencing him permanently include an absence of rebellions for 3 years and... the departure of Betty Boom the other radio broadcaster(hurray!).

A necessary sacrifice.

RIP, brah!

During this period of time I printed money once more but my banks managed to keep my building costs low (each reduces building costs by up to 20% depending on the skill of the bankers). For the next 5-6 years I used the money for more homes, more healthcare and another factory, totalling three.

In addition I added guard bases till I had 4-5 of them so that when the rebels finally attacked, I had about 27 soldiers versus 8-11 of them.

With the spec ops training I was giving them, my army was winning every battle.

However, I was still concerned with a possible increase in the number of rebels if I continued to ignore the people's concerns that consisted mainly of "lack of housing" and "insufficient healthcare". So I gave them more homes with what little money I got.

That kept the rebels from growing beyond 12 members.

Finally it came to a point where removing every money-consuming edict (eg sensitivity training and social security) still couldn't save my economy, and I was $20k negative when the ships leave.

That wasn't the end. I was absolutely nowhere close to quitting.

Nope!

I could still print money (each time I get $20k and another 30% permanent cost increase, up to 5 times per game) to build a few more coffee farms and a factory then stop spending completely for a few years!

THOSE COULD HAVE SAVED THE ISLAND! I AM STILL SURE THEY COULD!

Then the game crashed.

Stunned, I seriously just stared at the screen for like five seconds without moving.



AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

I COULD HAVE REVIVED MY ECONOMY!


There is the autosave feature but it only does it every few years or something.


















So they only opened the boxes of sweaters today. It's amazing the sorts of problems the factories can give me. We've only opened a few boxes today and I'm already discovering all kinds of surprises inside.

I'm not actually pissed, just slightly annoyed and amused at the same time. This will kill my estimated profit but it's interesting to see the kind of crap they dare to throw at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment