Thursday 15 March 2012

Rant 955 / Level 191: Angkor Wat

http://baldursgate.com/

I wonder what's going to happen at the end of the countdown.

BG3?

OhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboyOhboy

No, I have no idea what's about to happen.

Inb4 it's Bioware doing it and you can romance Boo in BG3.


















This is a very serious Japanese documentary on sushi.







And another on origami.

All my respect to anyone who has reached difficulty level 191.















Played a bit of Civilization V. Now I see the purpose of befriending City-States and the bonus for completing entire policy categories.

For some reason I missed both points in the past.

Because of these, my game as Harun al-Rashid was so damn easy.

Ok, maybe it's also partly because I was lucky enough to start next to some Ivory tiles.

That made my people really happy, and that in turn increased my growth.

It didn't go that well in the beginning and even got invaded twice. Fortunately I had enough caution to garrison Archers in every city, so I managed to repel them all with minimal losses, causing them to negotiate peace with seriously one-sided deals to appease me.

Then when I discovered that I could buy alliances with City-States with just a thousand gold, I kept spending all my savings on the Militaristic Edinburgh next to me and every Cultured one on the map. Edinburgh gave me a free military unit every 18 turns while each Cultured City-State gave me 12 Culture points per turn.

In addition, all that money and growth and expansion allowed me to have enough to keep negotiating deals with other civilizations so that every single one of my cities were constantly celebrating "We Love The King Day!"

The game's still not finished but it's obvious who's winning.

If we consider a Domination victory, I have the largest territory after destroying two other civilizations.

If we consider a Cultural victory, I have 22 policies already while others have about 17 at most.

If we consider a Science victory, the fact that I was the first to hit the Renaissance and Industrial and Modern eras says something about my Science production rate.

As for Score victory, I'm over 600 points ahead of the first runner-up.

The only uncertainty lies in the Diplomatic victory because after all those wars, I'm now the most hated civilization in the game.

I'm not even the bloodthirsty warmonger they make me out to be! My ally, Siam (also the first runner-up), was the one who declared war on the entire world like a boss. I merely agreed to aiding him.

The AIs are stupid, seriously. Their strategy is to declare war on as many civilizations as their armies could handle, apparently under the assumption that all of them will use the same AI tactics.

Well, I'm not an AI and I don't use their tactics. I focus my entire army on one city at a time, annexing every city that lies between my starting point at the enemy's capital. That's why Germany, the first civilization strong enough to declare war on the entire world (and finally on me) lost everything but two cities on what used to be the opposite ends of its territory.

I cut through its lands from west to east then north, while Siam took the south.

I also reject peace offerings when I'm in for the kill.

However, it is strange that the AI would reject my demands for all their luxury resources in exchange for a ceasefire when I'm about to take its capital. Why doesn't try everything it could to hold on to the heart of its civilization?

Oh, and I'm only playing on Easy. Yea a whole rant on how I beat retarded children.

This is noteworthy only because it's been the easiest CV game I've had in a very long time.

Probably because I suck at the game.

Another hint at this possibility is that I still don't get how most of the bonuses of the other civilizations are useful. For example, Napoleon's bonus is +2 Culture points until the invention of Steam Power.

So the French don't get a racial benefit after they have cars?

In fact, a lot of them focus on early-game advantages, especially the ones that have to do with Barbarians, eg Bismark's, since they don't appear anymore by the Renaissance era unless you're playing the one-city mode.

And Gandhi's bonus that halves Unhappiness can't be as awesome as the gold bonus I get as Harun al-Rashid. Clearly both are meant for large empires with many cities, but Happiness really isn't too hard to obtain when you have the money.


















After sitting on it for three days, I finally pre-ordered "The New iPad" with the extended warranty thing.

S$614.95 for the 16GB wifi-only black iPad 3, S$110.28 for the Applecare Protection Plan, totalling S$776 inclusive of tax.

It's no small sum but after three days, I can confirm this isn't an impulse buy.

Removed the HDMI cable from the order because I'm not about to spend that much money on something that is for personal use.

That thing alone costs S$54! The horror!

I could easily get all the accessories I want from DealExtreme with that amount of money.

Of course I'll be using it for personal stuff; the battery in my Acer laptop's motherboard is dying. I could get it replaced but I'm just going to use this tablet to replace it.

16GB should be ok. Assuming the OS takes 4GB, there is still 12GB of space. All I have are photos and some simple tables that serve as inventory lists anyway. Between the iCloud and USB port, I should be able to keep all the less important files outside to maintain a healthily half-full hard drive.

As for the internet access, I plan to keep my free mobile broadband modem that comes with my home broadband plan for the foreseeable future, so I have no need for a 4G tablet. Saves me about S$170 too. With the iPad 3 priced at S$658 with tax, S$170 is about 26%!

Engraved my full name and phone number on the back. I should have engraved my business's name too but I didn't want to discount the possibility of renaming my business in the future.

I know, it's not going to look good but the focus here is to make it as utilitarian as possible.

When it comes to work, utilitarianism always comes first.

As for that warranty plan, if Apple comes up with an even longer one I'd take that. In fact I'd prefer a 4-year warranty plan, even if it costs 3 times of what I'm currently paying.

If only.


Also did a recontract with Starhub for the MaxInfinity Ultimate Plus that comes with the mobile broadband. Originally wanted the Home Hubbing Pack that includes a basic cable TV plan together with the above and at a similar price but apparently, when they say it requires a new MaxInfinity subscription it also means that existing MaxOnline customers do not qualify either.

A little misleading TBH.

Now my Internet's going to be a little cheaper while maintaining the same (advertised) bandwidth. It's just a switch from cable to fibre.
















I wonder what's wrong with the ending of Mass Effect 3. The plot was kinda lame with no mind-blowing twist at the end, but the game itself was pretty good. I guess people expected more from a game of this quality.


















Just pledged US$15 for Wasteland 2. I liked the first two Fallout games but didn't complete either. Wasteland can be said to be the predecessor of Fallout.

It's going to be using the top-down view again which means the graphics are easier to make. Hopefully this leaves them with more time to focus on making better and more content.

It's received so much support, at least 8 people pledged 10k and 5 people pledged 5k, allowing it to hit its goal of 900k within 3 days.

33 days more to go. It could easily exceed Double Fine's 3mil if this continues at the current rate. Of course it won't, because at this rate of 1mil per 3 days, 33 days will give them 11mil.

Even though they're getting less than what the large companies spend on game development, they don't have to answer to stockholders and investors. All the money they get goes to them only, so that's a big perk to offset the lower starting capital.

This game is going to be developed by inXile Entertainment founded by Brian Fargo, the man behind "Bard's Tale, Fallout 1 and 2, Stonekeep, Dragon Wars, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and more."

So yea, with a resume like that, I find it hard to resist the urge to pre-order this new game he's proposing to make at this price.
















Not funny if you're not familiar with the name "Bang Bus".





















No comments:

Post a Comment